TD support/questions

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

star_sword2000 #1 Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:42 PM

Sergeant

• 7965 battles
  • [SNOVA]

A lot of people have been posting in the forums lately on how they need tips on XXX tank and XXX gun. this is going to be a thread where u guys can ask questions on TD tanks (especially german and american TDs). Tank destroyers are my favourite (and most played) class, and as i have done some more research, and gained a bit for experience in the TD field, i ahve felt i could do this community good by answering some questiions and giving advice. 

Star_sword2000

SHAFT, 501ST TD Legion

World of Tanks Generals Beta Tester, World of Warships Closed Beta tester, Heliborne Closed Alpha Tester. 

Leader of SH4FT, professor of committee of SHAFT. 

Current lines: German TD(s) (Jagtiger, St. Emil) German Light (ru251) German medium (halted for now) Soviet Heavy (IS3) British Mediums (Halted for now)

F_SilveR #2 Posted 28 February 2016 - 04:19 PM

Sergeant

• 35166 battles
  • [FEAST]

Hmm...how about american TDs ? I think I want to start new line

Should I go through t49 or wolverine to get Hellcat ?

Which route would you recommend If I want T30 ?

http://wotbstars.com/?usr=b_frost&geo=Asia&lng=eng

Proud to be part of the UNION

" Let the FEAST-ing begins! "

TitusTanker #3 Posted 28 February 2016 - 07:47 PM

Sergeant

• 10036 battles
  • [HK123]

7:00 start, 4:48 end, only 2m12s

i am a last tank and dead...

please tell me how to win this battle...please

The_Violator_ #4 Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:06 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 852 battles

View PostB_frost, on 28 February 2016 - 04:19 PM, said:

T49 will prepare you for hellcat,   much more fun than wolverine too. 

star_sword2000 #5 Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:16 AM

Sergeant

• 7965 battles
  • [SNOVA]

quick answers- B_frost- i recommend go through wolverine. it has a better gun, good mobility, and well, the armour is enough to stop a HE shot.

Titus Tanker- hard for u to carry as you are bottom tier. still, you can give fire support to the meds. this is why i like my jpantherii as it moves, has good hull down armour, and has a wonderful gun that cuts through tier 9s and some tier 10s with ease. APCR has a minimum roll of 301mm of pen........ and the rounds do 350-512 alpha..... u jsut sit there, wait, then fire. boom goes the ammorack. (sorry about the rant). u cant do much- its like these battles that you cant win.

World of Tanks Generals Beta Tester, World of Warships Closed Beta tester, Heliborne Closed Alpha Tester. 

Current lines: German TD(s) (Jagtiger, St. Emil) German Light (ru251) German medium (halted for now) Soviet Heavy (IS3) British Mediums (Halted for now)

Diamond114 #6 Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:30 AM

Captain

• 16287 battles
  • [408]

View PostB_frost, on 28 February 2016 - 11:19 PM, said:

Both Hellcat and T30 are in the same line I think, so probably Wolverine due to German LTs. Go hulldown and don't let them close in on you.

Edited by Diamond114, 01 March 2016 - 08:38 AM.

"Fight to fly, fly to fight, FIGHT TO WIN!" - U.S Navy Fighter Weapons School TOPGUN.

"Nothing is right in tactics. A good fighter pilot must be free to propose improvements to his tactics or he will get himself killed." - Cmdr. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, USN.

"To be a good fighter pilot, there's only one prime requisite; Think Fast, and Act Faster" - John Trevor Godfrey, 336 Sqn RAF

Diamond114 #7 Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:34 AM

Captain

• 16287 battles
  • [408]

View Postname_violation2007904768, on 29 February 2016 - 01:06 PM, said:

T49 will prepare you for hellcat,   much more fun than wolverine too. 

I like both T49 and Wolverine. They both has their own style; T49 if you like zipping around their flanks, Wolverine for sniping with 76mm M1A2, or straight up brawling with 105mm (I pretty much sniped throughout my Wolverine playthrough, couldn't trust the 105mm and I want my shots to be accurate and effective)

"Fight to fly, fly to fight, FIGHT TO WIN!" - U.S Navy Fighter Weapons School TOPGUN.

"Nothing is right in tactics. A good fighter pilot must be free to propose improvements to his tactics or he will get himself killed." - Cmdr. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, USN.

"To be a good fighter pilot, there's only one prime requisite; Think Fast, and Act Faster" - John Trevor Godfrey, 336 Sqn RAF

_RB_33_ #8 Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:39 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 22453 battles
  • [101AS]

View PostDiamond114, on 01 March 2016 - 08:34 AM, said:

I like both T49 and Wolverine. They both has their own style; T49 if you like zipping around their flanks, Wolverine for sniping with 76mm M1A2, or straight up brawling with 105mm (I pretty much sniped throughout my Wolverine playthrough, couldn't trust the 105mm and I want my shots to be accurate and effective)

I have fun with the Wolverine's 105mm Howitzer. It lets me pen opfor frontally, even at higher tier matches. Sadly, while the 76mm has better overall battlefield performance than the howitzer, it had trouble penning opponents head-on at least in my experience... My most recent Wolverine Mastery was with the HE gun. Feels good to knock out the LTs with a HEAT to their face too :justwait:

Diamond114 #9 Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:04 AM

Captain

• 16287 battles
  • [408]

View Post_RB_33_, on 02 March 2016 - 06:39 AM, said:

I have fun with the Wolverine's 105mm Howitzer. It lets me pen opfor frontally, even at higher tier matches. Sadly, while the 76mm has better overall battlefield performance than the howitzer, it had trouble penning opponents head-on at least in my experience... My most recent Wolverine Mastery was with the HE gun. Feels good to knock out the LTs with a HEAT to their face too :justwait:

Wow. That's cool. If only the US 105mm has AP much like German 105mm....

I'll probably try the 105 in Wolverine again at some point, but I have a feeling it's not going to be much use against Tier VI and VII

F_SilveR #10 Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:07 PM

Sergeant

• 35166 battles
  • [FEAST]

Considering german LTs, probably it's better for me to go Wolverine

And we will get E3 line discount soon, I better time my purchase with it tier v and up

But seriously, I almost never see american tier V-Vi TDs recently ( T49, Wolverine, Jackson, except Hellcat )

http://wotbstars.com/?usr=b_frost&geo=Asia&lng=eng

Proud to be part of the UNION

" Let the FEAST-ing begins! "

Diamond114 #11 Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:32 PM

Captain

• 16287 battles
  • [408]

View PostB_frost, on 03 March 2016 - 09:07 PM, said:

Considering german LTs, probably it's better for me to go Wolverine

And we will get E3 line discount soon, I better time my purchase with it tier v and up

But seriously, I almost never see american tier V-Vi TDs recently ( T49, Wolverine, Jackson, except Hellcat )

T49 has been rendered somewhat vulnerable due to new German LTs, whereas about Wolverines and Jackson, I don't think people bothered much about it once the Hellcat line shows up. Back a year or two ago they were rather prevalent if memory hasn't failed me yet (like, d'oh, that's the only U.S TD line back then). I guess it boils down to people preferring faster machines to YOLO in, Wolverine and Jackson simply wasn't fast enough to YOLO. On the flipside however, YOLOing in a TD no matter which one is pretty idiotic anyway, not their job to do that.

star_sword2000 #12 Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:26 AM

Sergeant

• 7965 battles
  • [SNOVA]

guys- i just found out a pretty decent way to go anti-german-lights in my TDs. 

ALWAYS PLAT/WOLFPACK/HAVE COVERING FIRE. people are all complaining (in other threads not just you guys) that german lights destroy TDs. not anymore. i find i win the most in my TDs when i have a plat mate as a light tank. I get him to spot, and then the minute i see a breakthrough/gap in our lines (use the minimap guys) i call SOS and then he rushes back to save me (usually in the nick of time.) Destroy lights by having another light. this strategy works well with another TD that stays a bit further back (germans preferred due to accuracy) and helps out an assault gun.

hope this helps, 

Star_Sword2000 SHAFT

_RB_33_ #13 Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:00 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 22453 battles
  • [101AS]

View Poststar_sword2000, on 04 March 2016 - 09:26 AM, said:

guys- i just found out a pretty decent way to go anti-german-lights in my TDs. 

ALWAYS PLAT/WOLFPACK/HAVE COVERING FIRE. people are all complaining (in other threads not just you guys) that german lights destroy TDs. not anymore. i find i win the most in my TDs when i have a plat mate as a light tank. I get him to spot, and then the minute i see a breakthrough/gap in our lines (use the minimap guys) i call SOS and then he rushes back to save me (usually in the nick of time.) Destroy lights by having another light. this strategy works well with another TD that stays a bit further back (germans preferred due to accuracy) and helps out an assault gun.

hope this helps, 

Star_Sword2000 SHAFT

THIS.

It is pretty standard TD doctrine in Blitz to stay close to the pack for mutual support and protection. It's actually the standard tactic for all tanks in-game. And yet many players tend to forget this.

@Diamond, B-Frost

Putting it on record, I may be having fun with it but the Wolverine's 105mm Howitzer doesn't make it any easier for me especially against the lights and higher tiers. Yes, I get to be more useful in higher tier matches but the damage that I dish out frontally is sometimes minimal. Admittedly, its not easy to flank in machines like the Wolverine. Against the Lightmares, between the reliable 76mm and the 105mm, both has its pros and cons; the 76mm can hit fast and accurately but sometimes the damage dealt is not enough to scare off at least a rampaging German LT at close-quarters (assuming it managed to get close). The 105mm on the other hand, can dish out unspeakable pain to an LT especially when one manages to hit it with HEAT. Its harder to hit an LT for sure but if it connects, it greatly balances the odds. Ultimately, its the choice between shot efficiency and raw firepower that a Wolverine player needs to decide on.

Diamond114 #14 Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:43 AM

Captain

• 16287 battles
  • [408]

So I rebought the Jackson today and took her to her first battle in a while, and I'm glad and proud to say that she is still very much relevant. Had one round at Desert Sands today against a T-150, KV-2, T49, Jumbo and Easy Eight, M4 Sherman and KV-1. Started out at the right town going over to desert left, two of the German LTs we have rolled straight ahead and spotted the M4 which I put two shots in; last one burned him to death. Then they spotted and attempted to outbrawl the Easy Eight and the Jumbo, got killed pretty quick. KV-2 was capping, T-150 was advancing to our positions, KV-1 and T49 flanked from our base and shot the KV-1 and Matilda BP. Got some flanking shots to Jumbo, Matilda BP finished off the Easy Eight. Jumbo kills him, but I killed the Jumbo in return. I also put some shots at the T49 and KV-1 who attempted to outsnipe me, clipped the T49 pretty bad he was OHK for me. T-150 then arrives and brawls with me, I killed him but took two shots from him. Only me and KV-1 remained at this point. KV-2 had abandoned the cap and rushed to assist his team, took a flank shot at him, then I killed the T49 attempting to get around me, then took a shot at the KV-1, but took a derp round from KV-1 which left me less than 100 HP. Took another flank shot at KV-2 as he missed our KV-1, then at the KV-1 as he rushed me, but fortunately he got too far forward our KV-1 had the shot and killed him. I relocate to KV-2's rear as he reached my firing position and killed the KV-1, but I put the remaining two shots needed that killed him and won the match for us. Team was pretty bad apart from the KV-1 with 85mm who helped me out and finished off the KV-1 as it tried to kill me with his 122mm howitzer and the Matilda BP who killed the Easy Eight. Killed the M4, T-150, Jumbo, T49, KV-1 and KV-2, dealt 3849 dmg, earned 1287 xp and 53000- ish creds with premium, earned Sniper, Top Gun, my first Radley-Walters in the Jackson and re-earned my Ace Tanker badge. Fought pretty much hulldown most times and some flanking and butt sex dealing when required. No bounces off the transmission cover this time, sadly. The hits I took were all clean hits to UFG plate with one 122mm HE from Opfor KV-1.

Shout out to _RB_33_, I suppose this is one of my games in the Jackson with the level of performance you were looking for. Watch and learn, young Padawan.

Edited by Diamond114, 06 March 2016 - 09:54 AM.

Babayega_1 #15 Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:10 AM

First Lieutenant

• 21568 battles
  • [ROGUE]

I dunno this weekend but my usual WR with my hellkitty at 5 games is 2W and 3L ( i usually gauge my preparedness with the tank with 5 battles) but this weekend I got like only 3 games last satrday and I won all three. I wanna play it again sunday but the call to upgrade and upskill my t29 is more dire.

I guess it because more and more people who play against a team with atleast one german TD at tier V at least are becoming more aware of how to deal with them. As RB33 mentioned, always plat and if theres a chance plat with a quick MT or german LT to spot for u and if an LT gets close, RUN like forrest gump and spam that SOS reloading button so that help can arrive (i hope).

"Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."

- Erwin Rommel

_RB_33_ #16 Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:45 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 22453 battles
  • [101AS]

View PostDiamond114, on 06 March 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

So I rebought the Jackson today and took her to her first battle in a while, and I'm glad and proud to say that she is still very much relevant. Had one round at Desert Sands today against a T-150, KV-2, T49, Jumbo and Easy Eight, M4 Sherman and KV-1. Started out at the right town going over to desert left, two of the German LTs we have rolled straight ahead and spotted the M4 which I put two shots in; last one burned him to death. Then they spotted and attempted to outbrawl the Easy Eight and the Jumbo, got killed pretty quick. KV-2 was capping, T-150 was advancing to our positions, KV-1 and T49 flanked from our base and shot the KV-1 and Matilda BP. Got some flanking shots to Jumbo, Matilda BP finished off the Easy Eight. Jumbo kills him, but I killed the Jumbo in return. I also put some shots at the T49 and KV-1 who attempted to outsnipe me, clipped the T49 pretty bad he was OHK for me. T-150 then arrives and brawls with me, I killed him but took two shots from him. Only me and KV-1 remained at this point. KV-2 had abandoned the cap and rushed to assist his team, took a flank shot at him, then I killed the T49 attempting to get around me, then took a shot at the KV-1, but took a derp round from KV-1 which left me less than 100 HP. Took another flank shot at KV-2 as he missed our KV-1, then at the KV-1 as he rushed me, but fortunately he got too far forward our KV-1 had the shot and killed him. I relocate to KV-2's rear as he reached my firing position and killed the KV-1, but I put the remaining two shots needed that killed him and won the match for us. Team was pretty bad apart from the KV-1 with 85mm who helped me out and finished off the KV-1 as it tried to kill me with his 122mm howitzer and the Matilda BP who killed the Easy Eight. Killed the M4, T-150, Jumbo, T49, KV-1 and KV-2, dealt 3849 dmg, earned 1287 xp and 53000- ish creds with premium, earned Sniper, Top Gun, my first Radley-Walters in the Jackson and re-earned my Ace Tanker badge. Fought pretty much hulldown most times and some flanking and butt sex dealing when required. No bounces off the transmission cover this time, sadly. The hits I took were all clean hits to UFG plate with one 122mm HE from Opfor KV-1.

Shout out to _RB_33_, I suppose this is one of my games in the Jackson with the level of performance you were looking for. Watch and learn, young Padawan.

Lovely performance there. It's definitely everything I hoped for from a Javkson veteran. My fearless forecast was fulfilled. :) I just have to ask though. I've been visualizing your battle report and with all that damage prior to the Kv2 derp flank shot, how on earth were you able to survive it? Most of my encounters with the Kv2 either meant that I would be toasted in one shot or the Kv2 driver was using the AP gun which leads to me being able to bounce it..

Diamond114 #17 Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:17 PM

Captain

• 16287 battles
  • [408]

View Post_RB_33_, on 07 March 2016 - 03:45 PM, said:

Lovely performance there. It's definitely everything I hoped for from a Javkson veteran. My fearless forecast was fulfilled. :) I just have to ask though. I've been visualizing your battle report and with all that damage prior to the Kv2 derp flank shot, how on earth were you able to survive it? Most of my encounters with the Kv2 either meant that I would be toasted in one shot or the Kv2 driver was using the AP gun which leads to me being able to bounce it..

The derp shot that hit me came from the KV-1 with the U-11 122mm howitzer at medium range, KV-2 did have the M-10 152mm, but he missed the first shot at our KV-1, killed him with the second

Diamond114 #18 Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:23 PM

Captain

• 16287 battles
  • [408]
And to be honest, I wasn't fully aware of what the LTs, Matilda BP and the rest of our team were doing. I just reacted to the situation at hand and only took close attention once there was only me and the KV-1. Need to improve SA next time, lucky the opfor took time getting to the fight so we don't fight them all at once but rather piecemeal.

Diamond114 #19 Posted 07 March 2016 - 03:05 PM

Captain

• 16287 battles
  • [408]
Also I brawled the T-150 perhaps unnecessarily exposed, he was shooting at my teammate when I fired my first shot into him, should've pulled back to a hulldown position instead of rushing him at point blank range, force him to split his fire especially since my rear flank is clear after Jumbo died.

_RB_33_ #20 Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:47 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 22453 battles
  • [101AS]

Hello everyone, it's good to be back. Work took the spotlight recently. That aside...

@Diamond114

I think I've unleashed a monster. Eversince you got your Jackson back I've been having trouble getting a mastery. It's like you and a bunch of other Jackson vets came out of the woodworks drastically raised the bar of excellence. I don't mind though. It gives me a better reason to improve :)

@topic

I just came from a match where a trio of light tanks composed of a Leo Lite, Crusader and VK28 tried to take me and my Jackson out at close-range. Lucky for them, they caught me alone sniping the opfor who were making life for my team miserable. Luckily for me the the VK28 was already damaged from a prior encounter with my teammates. I loaded APCR and adrenaline to balance the odds. The first shot went to the Leo Lite. Now you guys might be wondering, why the Leo? For me, the Leo was the most dangerous of the three because of it's auto-cannon. By the luck of the Irish, I managed to ammo rack the Leo, turning his full-health dragster into a fireworks display within a moment. The next one was the VK28. I returned to regular AP rounds this time and charged the fellow, with him at full-speed. He survived the ramming attempt and I shot him up-close with a regular 90mm round. The last was the Crusader. He managed to get behind me and pumped a few shots into my backside. Luckliy, it didn't result to an ammo rack. I then executed a reverse turn counter to his direction while turning my turret. Just before he crossed my sights, I fired set him on fire reducing his health to roughly 20%. The Crusader started to run for the hills while zigzaging. Then for some reason, he decided to just run straight. I can't complain and I finished him off. I ended my encounter with enough health to assist my teammates against a pair of opfor MTs who knew what they were doing.

Hope this helps any budding Jackson/Wolverine drivers who are currently having problems dealing with LTs or even MTs up-close.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users