TDs versus German LT's on Nitro

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Diamond114 #21 Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:51 PM

Captain

• 16298 battles
  • [408]
Oh, another move I just remembered is to reverse your traverse if you have backed off and attempt to make him overshoot, but he saddles right back in to your sides, hopefully he hasn't think fast enough and he gets to see your front armour. This is risky though, as occasionally you may have the turret still facing the wrong way and smart quick-thinking opponents can use the opportunity to keep up with you or backhug/sidehug you at the worst, so use that one in moderation. Don't try it in slow traverse or paper thin TD like Hellcat, Marder II, T28, SU/ISU-152, JgPanther (I know it's MT chassis, but not fast enough) and Ferdinand. Might still work with Jg.Pz IV, Hetzer, and StuG, but I need to get those two again to find out

Edited by Diamond114, 18 February 2016 - 05:52 PM.

"Fight to fly, fly to fight, FIGHT TO WIN!" - U.S Navy Fighter Weapons School TOPGUN.

"Nothing is right in tactics. A good fighter pilot must be free to propose improvements to his tactics or he will get himself killed." - Cmdr. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, USN.

"To be a good fighter pilot, there's only one prime requisite; Think Fast, and Act Faster" - John Trevor Godfrey, 336 Sqn RAF

Babayega_1 #22 Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:45 AM

First Lieutenant

• 22713 battles
  • [_PWB_]

View Post_RB_33_, on 18 February 2016 - 04:32 PM, said:

Doing good kabayan, I just got home from work... Thank God for a good game at Blitz to help release stress lol.

From my experience, the numbers shouldn't differ if there is. For me, if there is even a small difference that lets the Jackson traverse faster than a Kitty, that's a big help. That aside, the reason why the Jackson seems to have a better hull and turret traverse is because it's traverse speed is pretty much in-sync with it's accleration. With the Hellcat's preferred style of play and large amounts of speed, the slow turret and hull traverse is a glaring issue... Not so much for the Jackson. What saves my hide with the Jackie during brawls is that I brawl very late into the game and the ability to make lucky bounces or survive shots that would kill a Hellcat. I think Diamond114 will agree with me on this, being a seasoned Jackson driver as well. Other than that, typical TD rules apply. I mean, other than having a turret, a VERY SLOW one at that, the Jackson is still a TD... That thinks it's a medium sometimes...

For the turretless TDs, I've seen good/very good turretless TD drivers make short work of any LT by simply turning in reverse to the direction that the opposing LT is turning just as deongunner has mentioned too. I mean, c'mon, just one shot from that Russian howitzer is enough to make any LT cry when you manage to bring that boom-pipe on them. LTs got agility advantage, TDs got the firepower to make them pay for any mistake that you force them to make. And yes, being an assault gun is a must for TDs nowadays.

I'll try to play Kitty later and hope I still have enough braincells to remember all these good stuff i'm learning from you guys. I also have German LTs in my garage right now and I kind of putting myself on the opfors shoes when I play them and here was this hetzer I COD'd with my Luchs last night and man I feel so fast. I tried doing that with my Cov in my NA server acct and I only got clean away by mere 20hp (that was pre nerf hetzer). I guess the lethal combination of KinderJoy sized german LT with autocannons make a world of difference versus the big bodied cov and crusader when it comes to CODng TDs.

"Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."

- Erwin Rommel

Babayega_1 #23 Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:55 AM

First Lieutenant

• 22713 battles
  • [_PWB_]

With non turreted TDs, i had the experience last night that RB33 and Diamond114 mentioned that I should counter turn to where the LT is CODng me. It happened with my SU 85 and an opfor Luchs who shot blew an m8a1 ally. It was in el alamein when I saw the luchs shooting the m8a1. I shot him once and hit him but the reload time was not enough to put another on the luchs so he killed the m8a1 and turned to me on my right side. what I did was i back up near the AA gun and sandbags incidentally he counter turned just as i was turning to my right (he was hoping to strafe my exposed sides coming from his left going to right) so it was timely and I used the left fire button and racked him.

My point is that counter turning is really helpful against CODng LTs (I know its supposed to be basic but old habits die hardes) and so far that one experience I had, eventhough accidentally done, was really helpful and agrees with RB33 and Diamond114's advice. 

- Erwin Rommel

Diamond114 #24 Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:28 AM

Captain

• 16298 battles
  • [408]

View PostBabayega_1, on 19 February 2016 - 10:55 AM, said:

With non turreted TDs, i had the experience last night that RB33 and Diamond114 mentioned that I should counter turn to where the LT is CODng me. It happened with my SU 85 and an opfor Luchs who shot blew an m8a1 ally. It was in el alamein when I saw the luchs shooting the m8a1. I shot him once and hit him but the reload time was not enough to put another on the luchs so he killed the m8a1 and turned to me on my right side. what I did was i back up near the AA gun and sandbags incidentally he counter turned just as i was turning to my right (he was hoping to strafe my exposed sides coming from his left going to right) so it was timely and I used the left fire button and racked him.

My point is that counter turning is really helpful against CODng LTs (I know its supposed to be basic but old habits die hardes) and so far that one experience I had, eventhough accidentally done, was really helpful and agrees with RB33 and Diamond114's advice. 

Nice work! Though when I posted about the counter traverse the idea was if an opfor guns for your right side, you backed off lefty but he still managed to out-traverse you, as he reaches your back (assuming he hasn't tracked you yet) then you counter traverse and use opfor's speed to bring himself back to your front armor, then you shoot him as he zips past. The weakness of this technique however is:

- Very dependent on the opfor having not so fast reflexes and doesn't attempt to backhug and sidehug you (basically dependent on the opfor still gunning his engine to circle around you, and not stopping once he gets behind you), although to fight a CODer in the open with no nearby cover is pretty difficult to begin with, and more often it turns into a survival competition to see who lasts longer, especially if said CODer does his stuff day in day out (trust me, it is VERY frustrating occasionally meeting these guys who really knows what they're doing)

- With TD, tracks and engine are life. If you get tracked or having a damaged engine, you're one fucked duck.

"Fight to fly, fly to fight, FIGHT TO WIN!" - U.S Navy Fighter Weapons School TOPGUN.

"Nothing is right in tactics. A good fighter pilot must be free to propose improvements to his tactics or he will get himself killed." - Cmdr. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, USN.

"To be a good fighter pilot, there's only one prime requisite; Think Fast, and Act Faster" - John Trevor Godfrey, 336 Sqn RAF

Diamond114 #25 Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:30 AM

Captain

• 16298 battles
  • [408]
Oh and this technique isn't really part of basic tactics, anyone who plays TD for an extended period will eventually figure it out (did took me nearly all my TD career, 2000+ fights to figure that one out)

Babayega_1 #26 Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:49 AM

First Lieutenant

• 22713 battles
  • [_PWB_]

View PostDiamond114, on 19 February 2016 - 07:28 AM, said:

Nice work! Though when I posted about the counter traverse the idea was if an opfor guns for your right side, you backed off lefty but he still managed to out-traverse you, as he reaches your back (assuming he hasn't tracked you yet) then you counter traverse and use opfor's speed to bring himself back to your front armor, then you shoot him as he zips past. The weakness of this technique however is:

- Very dependent on the opfor having not so fast reflexes and doesn't attempt to backhug and sidehug you (basically dependent on the opfor still gunning his engine to circle around you, and not stopping once he gets behind you), although to fight a CODer in the open with no nearby cover is pretty difficult to begin with, and more often it turns into a survival competition to see who lasts longer, especially if said CODer does his stuff day in day out (trust me, it is VERY frustrating occasionally meeting these guys who really knows what they're doing)

- With TD, tracks and engine are life. If you get tracked or having a damaged engine, you're one fucked duck.

Yeah, I think it was the opfors loss that he didnt track me and got tempted in shooting my hull, hoping i'd be racked ( i think) because he knows he only has around 300hp left and one lucky shot can end it so I thnk he rushed in without tracking me. 

I will try to do more of that especially with my russian TDs which I noticed are noticeably slower than my german TDs in tier v-vi. 

- Erwin Rommel

Diamond114 #27 Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:09 AM

Captain

• 16298 battles
  • [408]
Get the 122 on the SU-100 and give those buggers a lesson why you don't mess with 100mm+ armed tanks

__smile___1 #28 Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:14 AM

Sergeant

• 17584 battles

Hi All

The question I have is... If you were new to WOT Blitz would you bother using TD's?

I only started playing them several months ago and endured the tier 6 JagDpanzer iV before the new light tanks, I strongly doubt I would have bothered with that grind now with the current gameplay. I sold that piece of work as soon as I researched the JagDpanther but have yet to buy it. With the sighting and camo rating of the new light tanks being in something the size of a barn seems a total waste of credits.

There are better tanks to take out the Light tanks than a TD ( I find another Light or quick Medium is a good start and you can take out TD's, Mediums and Heavies as well)

Is any new players using low tier 1-4 TD's? seeing a Hetzer or Alecto in a game is a bit of a rare thing now.

If I see a AT-2 I just feel sorry for the poor guy.

Diamond114 #29 Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:22 PM

Captain

• 16298 battles
  • [408]

View Post__smile___1, on 21 February 2016 - 02:14 PM, said:

Hi All

The question I have is... If you were new to WOT Blitz would you bother using TD's?

I only started playing them several months ago and endured the tier 6 JagDpanzer iV before the new light tanks, I strongly doubt I would have bothered with that grind now with the current gameplay. I sold that piece of work as soon as I researched the JagDpanther but have yet to buy it. With the sighting and camo rating of the new light tanks being in something the size of a barn seems a total waste of credits.

There are better tanks to take out the Light tanks than a TD ( I find another Light or quick Medium is a good start and you can take out TD's, Mediums and Heavies as well)

Is any new players using low tier 1-4 TD's? seeing a Hetzer or Alecto in a game is a bit of a rare thing now.

Well, people in this thread had driven TDs at some point at their Blitz career (I myself played 2200+ battles in TD versus 1780+ on heavies and 1800+ battles in mediums, so safe to say I came from TD background). Granted, TD playstyle isn't for everyone, but hey that's why there are other tank classes in WoT Blitz; you don't like TD then go grab a Medium or Heavy Tank, if you like to bust out YOLOstrats go LT. This thread is mainly about what we TD drivers would do if we happen to fight these speedy LTs. Another important note is teamwork; while all the tactics have been delving into 1v1 fights, I would prefer working together with teammates to kill said speedy buggers early so we don't brawl 1v1 to begin with.

Early tier TDs may suck or rock depend on the users. Some TD at equal tiers would be better than others, but if the dude driving it just roll forward carelessly and not watching his sides and rear end, sooner or later someone would give him a dose of surprise buttsex anyway. Driving TD requires a skillset different from other tank classes

On another note, whenever I ride in AT2 in Tier V fights this is how I feel (Tier VI and VII is another matter):

"MOVE BITCH! GET OUT THE WAY, BITCH! GET OUT THE WAY!"

Diamond114 #30 Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:26 PM

Captain

• 16298 battles
  • [408]
As another sidenote, people drive TDs because they want BIG guns. That's its main selling point and that's why people would continue to bother with TDs

P_6 #31 Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:07 PM

Sergeant

• 3346 battles

View Post__smile___1, on 21 February 2016 - 08:14 PM, said:

Hi All

If you can remain unseen in the Marder II for a while and preserve HP it can be quite effective. I managed to get a mastery in mine in my other account. Haven't played my Hetzter since the German Lights plague. ;)

"If the tanks succeed, then victory follows.", Guderian, 1937.

P_6 #32 Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:10 PM

Sergeant

• 3346 battles

View PostDiamond114, on 22 February 2016 - 02:22 AM, said:

Well, people in this thread had driven TDs at some point at their Blitz career (I myself played 2200+ battles in TD versus 1780+ on heavies and 1800+ battles in mediums, so safe to say I came from TD background). Granted, TD playstyle isn't for everyone, but hey that's why there are other tank classes in WoT Blitz; you don't like TD then go grab a Medium or Heavy Tank, if you like to bust out YOLOstrats go LT. This thread is mainly about what we TD drivers would do if we happen to fight these speedy LTs. Another important note is teamwork; while all the tactics have been delving into 1v1 fights, I would prefer working together with teammates to kill said speedy buggers early so we don't brawl 1v1 to begin with.

Early tier TDs may suck or rock depend on the users. Some TD at equal tiers would be better than others, but if the dude driving it just roll forward carelessly and not watching his sides and rear end, sooner or later someone would give him a dose of surprise buttsex anyway. Driving TD requires a skillset different from other tank classes

On another note, whenever I ride in AT2 in Tier V fights this is how I feel (Tier VI and VII is another matter):

"MOVE BITCH! GET OUT THE WAY, BITCH! GET OUT THE WAY!"

Yeah its a bit of a struggle at the moment I agree. But Im a true Blue German TD driver and always will be. But I am grinding the Soviet TD's to see if the Russian bias works to counteract those pesky new lights :P

Babayega_1 #33 Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:20 AM

First Lieutenant

• 22713 battles
  • [_PWB_]
im bouncing quite alot of shots with my SU 85 against the leopard whenever Im in front of them. but with my Stug...good luck hehe

- Erwin Rommel

Babayega_1 #34 Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:20 AM

First Lieutenant

• 22713 battles
  • [_PWB_]
By the way, tons of AFK both green and red team over the weekend. Anyone noticed this?

- Erwin Rommel

P_6 #35 Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:42 AM

Sergeant

• 3346 battles

View PostBabayega_1, on 22 February 2016 - 03:20 PM, said:

By the way, tons of AFK both green and red team over the weekend. Anyone noticed this?

Even today I had 4 games with AFK! And they were heavies as well. They must have very bad lag or internet issues?. Of course no one would just walk away from a game after hitting 'Battle' would they ;)

Edited by P_6, 22 February 2016 - 02:43 AM.

Babayega_1 #36 Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:09 AM

First Lieutenant

• 22713 battles
  • [_PWB_]
it sucks man coz the ones that go AFK at vital team members. I had one battle that the JgP is AFK and he's 2nd top tier next to the tiger. then there's the kv-1s afk when he's the only heavy in an LT loaded line up. I asked one of my teammates to screenshot t-43 who went afk on us. I saw his stats was bad. Bad like 13k battles at 30% WR. Smells like a bot to me.

- Erwin Rommel

_RB_33_ #37 Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:47 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 23142 battles
  • [101AS]

View Post__smile___1, on 21 February 2016 - 07:14 AM, said:

Hi All

I cannot answer your question in all honesty because the tank that got me into playing WoT Blitz is a TD itself: the M18 Hellcat. So you can say that pretty much from the start I've always wanted to be a TD driver.

@P_6

excellent Mastery with the Marder last week. It must've been a joy sniping in one or two shots those pesky Lightmares ;)

@Babayega

Nice close combat there. Never forget that TDs have the firepower to punish pesky LTs for as long as you force them to make mistakes ;)

@Diamond

What tanks are you using as main these days? I would really love to see you get back to your Jackson. The padawan in me is looking forward to seeing the master in action.

Diamond114 #38 Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:07 AM

Captain

• 16298 battles
  • [408]

View Post_RB_33_, on 22 February 2016 - 11:47 AM, said:

@Diamond

What tanks are you using as main these days? I would really love to see you get back to your Jackson. The padawan in me is looking forward to seeing the master in action.

Unfortunately I've been playing less high tier TDs and more on mediums and heavies, which is why you see the 1700-1800+ battles on them. Before, the closest number of battles fought to TDs was in mediums, now I play so much heavies they catch up to the number of battles played in the medium tanks. I'm currently replaying Hetzer atm with the 105 instead of the usual 75mm. Working out so far, but the reload time is just a bit too long. Ammo capacity is another, although if you do everything right, it shouldn't be much problem. Also the pen with AP is only adequate for lower tier tanks, against the likes of Matilda or KV-1 I usually lob HEAT shells. HE is okay, but one splash damage is about equal to the 75's avg dmg, so I didn't bother a lot with it. Lastly, accuracy is also a bit low, shots may not go where you aim them.

About getting back in the Jackson, I think I'll do that as soon as I get my Sherman Jumbo and KV-13 elited and with 100% crew exp and sold them. Patience, young padawan.

Edited by Diamond114, 22 February 2016 - 05:08 AM.

Babayega_1 #39 Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:28 AM

First Lieutenant

• 22713 battles
  • [_PWB_]
I like the young padawan part sir. :) Regarding the AT-2, man I almost won against one last night. My leopard was limping with 172 hp and it was just me and an AFK kv1. I CODd the bugger and brought him to only 120ish HP ( I got hit once as well) but he did the counter traverse on me on my supposed last pass. So I ended up dying and losing. Talk about getting a dose of my own medicine.

- Erwin Rommel

_RB_33_ #40 Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:41 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 23142 battles
  • [101AS]

View PostBabayega_1, on 22 February 2016 - 06:28 AM, said:

I like the young padawan part sir. :) Regarding the AT-2, man I almost won against one last night. My leopard was limping with 172 hp and it was just me and an AFK kv1. I CODd the bugger and brought him to only 120ish HP ( I got hit once as well) but he did the counter traverse on me on my supposed last pass. So I ended up dying and losing. Talk about getting a dose of my own medicine.

Let me guess... While you were doing a COD on that AT2, he managed to ram you while he was going on reverse? Or ram you backwards when you hugged his back?

@Diamond114

Lol, will do :honoring:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users