How to create and use custom skins! (iOS only)

skins love tags custom

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

SydB #1 Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:01 PM

First Lieutenant

• 11163 battles
  • [STORM]

Hello all! :)

Today I'll be posting a guide on making YOUR own skins and even use them! First let me remind you that this only pertains to iOS devices and if you're using an Android one I'm sad to say that it's not possible for now. There are two parts to this guide, a jailbreaking one and the actual process of making and installing your skins. This is what you need:

- A PC (Windows)

- A jailbroken iOS device. (Without jailbreak this won't work!)

Programs (Download links below)

- iFunBox (http://www.i-funbox.com/en_download.html)

- PVRTexTool (http://community.imgtec.com/developers/powervr/tools/pvrtextool/)

- iTunes (http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/)

- Any photo editor (GIMP, Photoshop)

GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/downloads/)

Paint.NET (http://www.getpaint.net/download.html)

Photoshop is paid but there is a free trial availabe for download. If you are editing photos daily I highly recommend that you buy it and support the developers!

Photoshop Trial - (http://www.adobe.com/sea/products/photoshop.html)

Jailbreaking guide:

Jailbreaking is a fairly simple process, it "unlocks" your phone and allows you to change and modify system files which cannot be done unless your iPhone/iPad is jailbroken which is what you need if you want to have your own custom skins. I'll get straight to the point, below is the list of things that you will need to jailbreak your iPhone/iPad.
Please note that it voids your phone warranty. 

- A PC or Mac
- iTunes 12.0.1 64 bit version installed on the PC (iTunes Download Link)
- Jailbreaking tool (explained below)
- A USB cable connecting your PC and your iPhone/iPad (the same ones you use for charging your iPhone/iPad)

Jailbreaking tool
There are many jailbreaking tools but there are only a few that are compatible for your phone. Once you have downloaded your jailbreak tool for your OS version (below!) and installed it, we'll get to the tool. There are two versions, a Mac and a Win one so download the one that works on your Mac or PC.
Download TaiG 2.4.3 or 1.10 here (for iOS 8.3 or 4):
Link

Download Pangu here: (for iOS 7.1. - 7.1.x)
Link

Now to get on to your device.
1. Disable passcode. (Settings > Passcode > Turn Passcode off)

2. Switch off WiFi (Turn the WiFi icon off)
3. Switch on Airplane mode.

Open iTunes.
Once your device shows up in iTunes, you might want to make a backup of it. (Jailbreaking is safe but there are no guarantees)
How do I know my phone is connected?
If there is a phone icon like the screenshot below it is.
screenshot_1

Open the TaiG or Pangu tool. The below should appear.

Uncheck 3K assistant from the two boxes but leave Cydia checked like the screenshot below.

Click on "Start", wait for TaiG to do its thing and enjoy! Jailbreak unlocks your phone only, it won't mess up your phone unless you delete system files or install some weird programs or files from Cydia.

Making and installing skins guide:

I would recommend making a backup of the app before starting. For the tutorial below I am using Photoshop but it doesn't really matter what photo editor you're using. Once you have installed all the programs listed above in your PC, open iFunBox and go to the "Managing App Data" tab and click "Show All" below.

Next, find World Of Tanks app and navigate to wotblitz.app/Data/3D/Tanks/Nationname/images. Find the skin of the tank you would like to edit and copy it to a location in PC. I like to put it on the desktop for easier access.

Now, minimize iFunBox and open the exported file with PVRTexTool. Click the "File" tab and select "Save Image As" and then save it as JPEG under "Save as Type".

So now once you have converted the file into a JPEG image, you are free to edit it any way you like and for this example I'll be using a T-62A. The image below is my completed skin.

Once you're done, under "File" tab save your image and open it in PVRTexTool. This part is extremely important and if you don't follow you WILL end up with a completely black skin. Click "edit" and then "encode". Save it as an "OpenGL ES 3" in the "Group/API" and then "PVRTC 4bpp RGBA".

Now for the final part, open iFunBox and navigate to wotblitz.app/Data/3d/Tanks/nationname/images and copy your image there! Mission accomplished! You have made it through this guide! :great: If you are facing some problems please reply to the topic and I'll do my best to assist you.

If you found this helpful please click this button on the right >>>>  (It helps a lot!) and feedback on possible improvements! Have fun wrecking enemies with your new skin and good luck on the battlefield!:izmena:

Edited by SydB, 22 October 2015 - 01:12 PM.

Proud member of Metalstorm Calm before the storm strikes

CALVINJJ #2 Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:13 PM

Captain

• 13929 battles
Thx, just in time that I need a guide on how to alter file(in order to use sound mod)

Edited by CALVINJJ, 20 October 2015 - 01:13 PM.

Anger and emotion are strategically counterproductive. You must always stay calm and objective. -Robert Greene,the 48 laws of power-

The_SnakeEyes #3 Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:31 PM

First Lieutenant

• 23168 battles
  • [SURLY]
Great post mate! Have you worked out how to make them matt?

SydB #4 Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:33 PM

First Lieutenant

• 11163 battles
  • [STORM]

View PostThe_SnakeEyes, on 20 October 2015 - 09:31 PM, said:

Great post mate! Have you worked out how to make them matt?

Not yet.. I still can't identify what's wrong.:(

_Maddoxkkm_ #5 Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:26 PM

Captain

• 44826 battles
  • [R0RY]

i think this is also the same way to make skins for android, according to one of my clanmates who also make skins

so if anyone happens to have made a tank skin using this guide and used and worked on their i-devices, can you send a copy of the file. i will see if its compatible with it.....

View PostSydB, on 20 October 2015 - 09:01 PM, said:

First let me remind you that this only pertains to iOS devices and if you're using an Android one I'm sad to say that it's not possible for now. 

did u already try it for android?

Leader of FEAST (Fulcra of the East), Twister Cup 2018 & 2019 Asia Server Champion

Developer of SerBot (Discord Stats Bot) & Mod Site MadWoTBMods

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. " ~Winston Churchill

SydB #6 Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:45 PM

First Lieutenant

• 11163 battles
  • [STORM]
Nope I have no idea but you could send me your clanmate's guide and name and I'll credit him in my guide.

SydB #7 Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:03 PM

First Lieutenant

• 11163 battles
  • [STORM]

UPDATE: Android devices with "PowerVR" GPU can do this as well. Just do not rename the file into "tank.PowerVR_iOS.pvr" but follow the file name on the original unedited skin file.

Example:

If your device's T-62A skin file is "T-62A.PowerVR_andtrh.pvr" use the same file name after encoding the file into PVR format.

SydB #8 Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:10 PM

First Lieutenant

• 11163 battles
  • [STORM]
EDIT 1: Added paint net as one of the photo editors that can be downloaded.

Dark_Exile_ #9 Posted 22 October 2015 - 11:55 PM

Captain

• 31184 battles
  • [E7]
Thanks for this SyDB :)

DEPUTY COMMANDER OF "UQ HOLDER!" ||| AUSTRALIA 

If you have any concerns regarding the game or reports of AFK players, send a PM with uncensored evidence and it'll be passed on. :)

_Airly_ #10 Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:36 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 27129 battles
  • [UQ]

wow...

sydb. thumbs up!!!

really detailed and really easy step by step.

thank you. this will help a lot of players!!! super job!

Jaeger1211 #11 Posted 30 October 2015 - 12:56 PM

Private

• 124 battles
Thumbs up bro!

_Maddoxkkm_ #12 Posted 31 October 2015 - 12:38 PM

Captain

• 44826 battles
  • [R0RY]

a advice:

the image file is better to be saved with .PNG but not .JPEG

.JEPG will lower the quality of skins compared to .PNG and .PNG also has the ability to control the transparency of the skin created.

i am not a expert in Graphics but at least i learnt it from my School Computer lessons. 

Edited by Maddoxkkm, 31 October 2015 - 12:40 PM.

Leader of FEAST (Fulcra of the East), Twister Cup 2018 & 2019 Asia Server Champion

Developer of SerBot (Discord Stats Bot) & Mod Site MadWoTBMods

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. " ~Winston Churchill

Rasyad_General #13 Posted 18 January 2020 - 01:20 PM

Private

• 5022 battles
  • [RCTI_]
How To save it to dvpl?

Also tagged with skins, love, tags, custom

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users