• [NZLND]
Great site dude, agree with all the other positive respsonses , cheers:great:

Sun_Tze #42 Posted 31 October 2015 - 03:33 AM

Sergeant

• 58302 battles
  • [RONIN]

View PostBlitzStars, on 31 October 2015 - 04:57 AM, said:

Hello Sun_Tze,

You're welcome. I'm glad to see the site being embraced as it is. It started as a pet-project for me to learn some new web technologies (it is one of these newfangled 'web apps;) and originally there was never a plan to make an actual site on the internets. But here we are, after a lot of changes and tweaks, and more users daily and lots of positive feedback and discussion.

I will indeed put up a donate button/feature in due course, and it's very generous of you (and others) to consider donating to the project - I appreciate it.

Hi Sockrobber,

great work should always be rewarded :)

Ever looked at a site called vbaddict? It is not for Blitz but has really great capabilities for WOT PC players. Would be great if something like that would ever be available for Blitz....

leongkitmeng #43 Posted 31 October 2015 - 02:29 PM

First Lieutenant

• 24907 battles
  • [OM3GA]

View PostBlitzStars, on 31 October 2015 - 04:57 AM, said:

I think I outlined pretty thoroughly how the BlitzStars averages are made, above. Certainly I wouldn't consider this data 'complete', it is merely a sample. But it is a much more random sample than using the people / players who have been searched for on the site (or artificially adding 'low' players to balance the numbers to some acceptable level (acceptable to who?....)).

The average data is viewable on the 'Tank Averages' / 'Top Tanks' page and the number of eligible records (players) for each tank are also listed. From this you can see that the numbers vary drastically, from over 26k players of the KV-1 to just 43(!) players of the Matilda IV. Obviously, the more players, the higher the likelyhood that the 'average' is a true reflection of the average skill of someone who plays Blitz semi-seriously (baring in mind we only count players with over 1.5k battles total on their account towards the numbers).

So, if you're looking at your WN8 in a T-150, you can be pretty sure this is a damn good average and the WN8 number is pretty 'accurate'. The E25 WN8 number is going to be more - potentially - dubious, as the averages are only taken from 961 players currently. By most ways of thinking, this is still a pretty tidy amount of players to get an average from - but, especially for premium tanks - less players will always yield less accurate averages.

The only people who can realistically give us 100% complete data/numbers are Wargaming themselves. And even then, we would have to decide (and have differences of opinion) on how to use the raw numbers. Maybe some people would consider a minimum of 1,500 battles before an account is considered eligible to be counted towards the averages as too low, or too high. So it is a complex and not as rigid an issue as many would like to believe when looking at something like a WN8 and saying 'this is accurate' or 'this is more accurate than that'.

One solace, perhaps, is that looking at a WN8 between two players for a specific tank, as long as the same averages are used (ie. looking on same site), the numbers can be compared directly and will reflect how WN8 was supposed to work - including its flaws.

I would say - regardless of where you look at it - something like WN8 is, anyway, at best a guide. In-depth viewing and consideration of other stats (which I love the percentiles for) is the next step to judging a player (especially oneself) and everyone will have their own opinion on what weight to give one particular statistic over another. 

Those are my 20 cents!

Don't get me wrong.  I've read up quite a bit on the various rating systems as well as how some of the rating sites get their numbers and I like how you've tried to get as accurate a median as possible.  Unlike the older rating systems, from the PR to the WN7, those are all very straight forward, the STAR1 and WN8 are variable ratings and heavily dependent on the median as it moves up or down, as well as on the composition of the database itself.  Anyone concerned about the accuracy of these two ratings, WN8 in particular for me, would be very interested in knowing just how good the calculation of the median is, ie. the database.  I have had some discussions with the creator of the russian wotblitz site and he seems to be of the opinion that he will not offer the WN8 at all (for the moment) because he cannot find a good enough way to get "true" medians.  Your approach seems to me, to be quite reasonable and a good attempt at reducing the inherent biases in database collections.  If he is reading this, I think he would sit up and take notice.  Lol

incidently, your WN8 ratings of my stats are the highest compared to the ones on cellbrock and wotbstars.  Lol. But that's not really why I say I like your approach.  Lol. I just found it interesting and want to know why.

*thats my 30 cents worth of opinions for your 20cents worth of explanations.

Edited by leongkitmeng, 31 October 2015 - 02:31 PM.

BlitzStars #44 Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:17 PM

Corporal

• 5 battles

View PostSun_Tze, on 31 October 2015 - 03:33 AM, said:

Hi Sockrobber,

great work should always be rewarded :)

Ever looked at a site called vbaddict? It is not for Blitz but has really great capabilities for WOT PC players. Would be great if something like that would ever be available for Blitz....

I have had a brief look now and the site certainly looks very solid and professional. One thing to bear in mind is that we get less API data for Blitz than they do for the PC version. That said, when I have some time I will have a look and see if there are any 'inspirational' features ;)

View Postleongkitmeng, on 31 October 2015 - 02:29 PM, said:

Don't get me wrong.  I've read up quite a bit on the various rating systems as well as how some of the rating sites get their numbers and I like how you've tried to get as accurate a median as possible.  Unlike the older rating systems, from the PR to the WN7, those are all very straight forward, the STAR1 and WN8 are variable ratings and heavily dependent on the median as it moves up or down, as well as on the composition of the database itself.  Anyone concerned about the accuracy of these two ratings, WN8 in particular for me, would be very interested in knowing just how good the calculation of the median is, ie. the database.  I have had some discussions with the creator of the russian wotblitz site and he seems to be of the opinion that he will not offer the WN8 at all (for the moment) because he cannot find a good enough way to get "true" medians.  Your approach seems to me, to be quite reasonable and a good attempt at reducing the inherent biases in database collections.  If he is reading this, I think he would sit up and take notice.  Lol

incidently, your WN8 ratings of my stats are the highest compared to the ones on cellbrock and wotbstars.  Lol. But that's not really why I say I like your approach.  Lol. I just found it interesting and want to know why.

*thats my 30 cents worth of opinions for your 20cents worth of explanations.

Yeah, WN8 is a bit of a mad formula honestly. I hadn't looked at it before working on BlitzStars so never realised, but reading it and all the logic behind it... feels a bit like a statistics major got a bit carried away. Not sure any of us non statisticians can look at it and think 'ah yes, that's all entirely clear and makes perfect sense'. But hey, I'm no statistician - from what I read, everything involved in coming up with the formula seems proper and correct. It just seems over engineered to me.

Knowing the BlitzStars tank averages data is all pseudo-randomly selected, you can be assured that where there are many tank records, the WN8 is very accurate against the Blitz playerbase. (Just to reiterate, you can see the number of players used for the averages either in each individual tank view, below the percentiles legend, or on the tank averages page, in the final column.)

It has been suggested to me that I might want to come up with my own BlitzStars ranking system. And the thought has crossed my mind. However, do people really want another metric? I'm not sure. If it happens, it will be simple and based on percentiles rather than anything that currently exists. I have been reliably informed that 'assisted damage' will be provided by the API at some stage - and that will certainly be great and any and all systems should incorporate it. If none do, that may be the nudge I need... We'll see. Knowing Wargaming, it could be years before we see it added anyway ;)

leongkitmeng #45 Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:38 AM

First Lieutenant

• 24907 battles
  • [OM3GA]

Well, I like the WN8.  It does give a good sense of a player's skill, detached from his tank.

I'm not sure if another rating system would be useful.  We already have PR, MGR, WN6, WN7, WN8, STAR1 and ER.  Personally, I don't use most of them except the WN7 and WN8 in combination to know how a player would perform in battle as a teammate, and how a player would perform consistently as he changes tanks and tiers in the long term.

leongkitmeng #46 Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:02 PM

First Lieutenant

• 24907 battles
  • [OM3GA]
Not sure if anyone else has been experiencing this, but I find the site is down quite often.  It gives the loading page with the 3 flashing circles and it just sits there like that.  This happens very often.

BlitzStars #47 Posted 08 November 2015 - 01:15 AM

Corporal

• 5 battles

View Postleongkitmeng, on 07 November 2015 - 07:02 PM, said:

Not sure if anyone else has been experiencing this, but I find the site is down quite often.  It gives the loading page with the 3 flashing circles and it just sits there like that.  This happens very often.

Strange. I haven't heard of anyone else having issues. This actually suggests a Blitz API problem - that is, if you get to the stage where BlitzStars is loaded in your browser and you can search for a player, and get the three 'pulsing' dots, that is the webapp trying to connect to the Blitz API (ie. your browser connecting directly to the Wargaming servers). At the minute there is not much error reporting/handling in the app - I will be working on that soon. Do let me know if the problem persists (or if anyone else has problems), or if it gets better.

When the BlitzStars server is down/slow (there's been no major or even minor downtime, more than a couple of seconds, that I'm aware of) the things that don't load are either the webpage/webapp entirely, or, the 'historical' data - graphs mostly. Also the 'top players' lists are from the BlitzStars server. So that is a good way to see where the problem comes from. Anyway, I will add some debugging/error reporting in the near future, so if the problem persists, we can track down the issue.

leongkitmeng #48 Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:12 AM

First Lieutenant

• 24907 battles
  • [OM3GA]
I closed and opened my browser again and it seemed to load after that, but all the tank names were missing on the tank stats table. if I remember correctly, it said "Not in tankepedia".

Edited by leongkitmeng, 09 November 2015 - 04:26 PM.

BlitzStars #49 Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:44 PM

Corporal

• 5 battles

Clans Update #1

So thanks to some free time this weekend, I've whipped together some additional Clans functionality.

This comes in two parts.

First, the individual clan pages have had a small update. Everything is pretty much the same as before, except there is now the addition of 30/60/90 day stats tables for (tracked) clan members. There's also a column to show which members are known to BlitzStars and are having their stat history recorded.

Secondly, there's now a 'Top Clans' page.
The usual BlitzStars filters and sorts apply - so you can view the 'Top Clans in ASIA by Winrate in the last 30 days', etc. The data is based on the 'Top Players' data so it's worth noting that only players tracked by BlitzStars will be counted towards the clan's overall stats and positions/rankings.

Just a small update but hopefully provides some useful additional functionality.

As ever, feedback/bugs/whatever can be posted here or DMd.

Sun_Tze #50 Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:12 AM

Sergeant

• 58302 battles
  • [RONIN]

View PostBlitzStars, on 16 November 2015 - 12:44 AM, said:

Clans Update #1

So thanks to some free time this weekend, I've whipped together some additional Clans functionality.

This comes in two parts.

First, the individual clan pages have had a small update. Everything is pretty much the same as before, except there is now the addition of 30/60/90 day stats tables for (tracked) clan members. There's also a column to show which members are known to BlitzStars and are having their stat history recorded.

Secondly, there's now a 'Top Clans' page.
The usual BlitzStars filters and sorts apply - so you can view the 'Top Clans in ASIA by Winrate in the last 30 days', etc. The data is based on the 'Top Players' data so it's worth noting that only players tracked by BlitzStars will be counted towards the clan's overall stats and positions/rankings.

Just a small update but hopefully provides some useful additional functionality.

As ever, feedback/bugs/whatever can be posted here or DMd.

Many thanks for the time you spent for all of us.

BlitzStars #51 Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:14 PM

Corporal

• 5 battles

I can't send PMs on the forums yet apparently (error says 30 days / 10 posts) - but thanks for your support Sun_Tze. You are the first. Much appreciated.

(If you want this deleted/kept private let me know and I shall edit).

Dr_Jedi #52 Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:01 PM

Captain

• 4343 battles

Hi blitzstar,

I just want to know if you could include the API for tanks destroyed.

Please take a look at an app made by Dxia for iOS.

http://forum.wotblitz.asia/index.php?/topic/6979-blitz-stats-ios-app-ver-22-beta-test-clan-emblems/page__pid__103767#entry103767

That app shows each tank destroyed count as shown in the screenshot.

Actually I only want to know what tanks I am lacking to get Expert medal.

And I don't have iDevice so can't install that app.

No real worry though just for fun.

But that app do many more things once logged in. (I have been told).

Like friends online status etc...

May give you some more fun ideas.

But no hurry though.

Those are just fun additions.

Sun_Tze #53 Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:49 AM

Sergeant

• 58302 battles
  • [RONIN]

View PostBlitzStars, on 16 November 2015 - 08:14 PM, said:

I can't send PMs on the forums yet apparently (error says 30 days / 10 posts) - but thanks for your support Sun_Tze. You are the first. Much appreciated.

(If you want this deleted/kept private let me know and I shall edit).

You are welcome. When I spent money on WG I think it is fair to support pro bono guys like you as well.
Many thanks for your efforts.

BlitzStars #54 Posted 23 November 2015 - 02:46 PM

Corporal

• 5 battles

View PostDrunkjedi, on 16 November 2015 - 05:01 PM, said:

Hi blitzstar,

I just want to know if you could include the API for tanks destroyed.

Please take a look at an app made by Dxia for iOS.

http://forum.wotblitz.asia/index.php?/topic/6979-blitz-stats-ios-app-ver-22-beta-test-clan-emblems/page__pid__103767#entry103767

That app shows each tank destroyed count as shown in the screenshot.

Actually I only want to know what tanks I am lacking to get Expert medal.

And I don't have iDevice so can't install that app.

No real worry though just for fun.

But that app do many more things once logged in. (I have been told).

Like friends online status etc...

May give you some more fun ideas.

But no hurry though.

Those are just fun additions.

Hi Drunkjedi,

I have played around with authenticated API access, so there is some of the code in place for that side of things.

As far as I'm aware, the main 'extra' results are account information related (gold count, credit count, tanks in hanger, etc) and as you note, the 'tanks destroyed' by each tank. As far as I can tell, there's no way to know which of your friends are currently online (although that would be pretty cool).

At this stage I am not working on including the above functionality in the code - there are unfortunately too many other things that still need fixing/implementing. But these additional details are in my mind and should I get the time I will certainly have a look at how to include them on the site.

I do really appreciate your feedback and suggestions - and please don't hesitate to offer more should you think of anything.

View PostSun_Tze, on 17 November 2015 - 06:49 AM, said:

You are welcome. When I spent money on WG I think it is fair to support pro bono guys like you as well.
Many thanks for your efforts.

Well, again, thank you - very much appreciated.

Brendon_2015 #55 Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:07 PM

First Lieutenant

• 15178 battles
Great App Blitzstars. will you be adding the new Anko Sp to the tanks list?

Brendon

It's only a scratch, just buff it out. 

Actively working on Tier 9, Conquerer & T54 Tier 8, Indian, ISU 152 & IS 3, Tier 7, Comet, Panther & Tiger 1

BlitzStars #56 Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:49 PM

Corporal

• 5 battles

View PostBrendon_2015, on 23 November 2015 - 10:07 PM, said:

Great App Blitzstars. will you be adding the new Anko Sp to the tanks list?

At the minute it is not appearing in the Blitz API tankopedia which is what I use (rather than manual updates) - same issue with the new premium British tier V.

Hopefully both will appear soon - if not, I will look in to manually adding the details at some point.

7_Lunchbox_ #57 Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:59 PM

Captain

• 29674 battles
  • [E7]

View PostBlitzStars, on 24 November 2015 - 09:49 AM, said:

At the minute it is not appearing in the Blitz API tankopedia which is what I use (rather than manual updates) - same issue with the new premium British tier V.

Hopefully both will appear soon - if not, I will look in to manually adding the details at some point.

Ah. No probs, good job and keep it up mate :)

DEPUTY COMMANDER OF "UQ HOLDER!" ||| AUSTRALIA 

If you have any concerns regarding the game or reports of AFK players, send a PM with uncensored evidence and it'll be passed on. :)

BlitzStars #58 Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:51 PM

Corporal

• 5 battles

Themes!

I have added a 'pale' theme to BlitzStars. You can view it, and decide if you prefer it, via the links at the bottom of any page on the site. I don't expect it to become the main theme, but for any of you suffering from the slightly strong default colours, this new theme may be a nice break.

I have also worked on the styling of the Player Profile page, and added a couple of features to help provide a decent 'at a glance' view of a player's overall stats.

Notably this is the 'wins by tier' bar which shows where the player is getting their winrate from, and the 'wn8 ribbon' bars which show a similar type of story regarding the player's WN8.

As ever everything is a 'work in progress' and things will continue to be added to BlitzStars as and when possible. Any feedback or bug reports are most welcome.

Cheers,

SockRobber

Brendon_2015 #59 Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:27 PM

First Lieutenant

• 15178 battles

Great site SockRobber and the best by far, but every month you keep changing it. Not too sure what benefit the Tiers bars are as they just seem to take up space. Use it as a drop down option for those who really want it. It also merges into the background as it's blue on blue....

Your stats by nation graph beside it doesn't appear to work again either.

the Pale colour scheme is a great option!

Onwards and upwards

Brendon

It's only a scratch, just buff it out. 

Actively working on Tier 9, Conquerer & T54 Tier 8, Indian, ISU 152 & IS 3, Tier 7, Comet, Panther & Tiger 1

The_SnakeEyes #60 Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:15 PM

First Lieutenant

• 23168 battles
  • [SURLY]
Love your website mate! Thanks for all the hard work!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users