AT2

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

JK_STONE #1 Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:29 AM

Captain

• 11671 battles
  • [SH4FT]

Need help on AT2.

I have the top gun 6-pdr, supposedly it can pen 110mm with AP, but when I shoot into the side (90 degrees) of AT2 (101mm), it does not pen when the entire zone is not showing red.  It happened more than once... or maybe I'm just going insane playing too much British TDs!

Pros - Frontal Armor (except Cupola)

Cons - Slow moving in straight-line and slow in turning too, Gun is way to weak against its tier and higher (even with APCR)

Many people got shiny M on this tank, maybe you can tell me what you outfit this tank with and how to get better?!? 

Edited by JK_STONE, 14 September 2015 - 11:40 AM.

Good luck on the battlefield!

stormventsrage2 #2 Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:28 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 26578 battles
They are trouble. Either avoid them or get behind them. My problem is that in a tier 7 medium you have to stop and aim to hit their weak spot. At that point I get nailed by every other tank around it.  So at worst ignore it and fire at something else, I say.
The problem of leisure, what to do for pleasure....

jathu #3 Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:17 AM

Corporal

• 9098 battles
  • [SURLY]

I think I know why you are bouncing shots in the side of the AT-2, even though you have a bit more pen. This is because the penetration of your gun (110mm) is actually average, like your alpha damage. The penetration of your gun can actually vary anywhere between 82mm and 136mm, which is a 25% increase or a 25% decrease on 110mm. Now the side of AT-2 is 101mm (at 90 degrees) so when you aim there, the sides will show as grey (since the average pen is higher than the armour at the angle of impact), but when you shoot, rng might get you unlucky causing you to roll a pen lower than 101mm, thus resulting in your shots being bounced. I might be wrong, but this is what I think happened to you, as I also come across this several times. 

As for the tips, I cant really give any since I don't play TDs much and didn't even start the British TD line. You should watch some pro AT-2 plays in youtube and maybe learn something from there. 

|| Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, ||

|| it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid ~ Albert Einstein ||

|| Aussie Tanker | Heavies4life | Proud member of ACE ||

HydronPrimeSP #4 Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:42 PM

First Lieutenant

• 13941 battles
  • [OM3GA]

Hmmm. I thought there would be more discussion on this tank.

Just got AT 2 today and this has totally enlightened me to a new style of play.

I play this tank as a frontliner and if you have around two teammates with you, you can cause trouble to the opfor.

I think I have a feeling how the AT-15A players feel when they are in the position to bully opfors.

Imho, this tank is OP, or borderline OP since not many players don't know how to counter it.

I knew there was something to this tank when I have hard time penning it on the sides with my alecto using gold ammo.

It looks like I have a new favorite for Tier 5.

abcrl123 #5 Posted 26 September 2015 - 06:24 PM

First Lieutenant

• 31589 battles
  • [STORM]

View PostHydronPrimeSP, on 17 September 2015 - 10:42 PM, said:

Hmmm. I thought there would be more discussion on this tank.

Just got AT 2 today and this has totally enlightened me to a new style of play.

I play this tank as a frontliner and if you have around two teammates with you, you can cause trouble to the opfor.

I think I have a feeling how the AT-15A players feel when they are in the position to bully opfors.

Imho, this tank is OP, or borderline OP since not many players don't know how to counter it.

I knew there was something to this tank when I have hard time penning it on the sides with my alecto using gold ammo.

It looks like I have a new favorite for Tier 5.

This tank is definitely op.  Just use as battering ram and choke point plug.  Gun is pathetic but srmor really troll, especially frontal armor.  All else fails? Go cap base. 

'What do you do with a tiger 1 once you caught it?  .... Bring it home and stuff it!'

LordWiltshire88 #6 Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:46 AM

First Lieutenant

• 8622 battles
  • [STORM]
If you can play this you can play a t28 and doom turtle
Two fish in a tank, one says " you drive and I'll man the gun!"

Brendon_2015 #7 Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:43 AM

First Lieutenant

• 15178 battles

The key to combating the AT-2 is speed. Get around it and it's toast. With it's slow traverse it's an easy kill. Until people realise just how easy it is to kill then it'll always have the OP tag attached to it. Unfortunately people get scared of the sight of them (especially tier IV's) but if theirs 2 of you, well then you have a great chance of taking it out by some good old fashioned team work. If you're a tier 4 player you use AP through the drive wheel. If it can't move then it can be flanked, flanked means death to it from behind or from the flank. The other location being of course the crew dome however the accuracy of tier IV tanks leaves a lot to be desired.

Tier V pz's can absolutely carve this TD up owing to there high speed and high penetration values. Add the high damage and they can decimate it before it's had a chance to turn around.

The KV-1 also can quickly carve this beast up.

All of my tanks now have APCR as a backup solely to combat these Tier V-VII TD's. 

Playing them on the other hand is all about be proactive. Move with your team and if you can't hit an opponent through it's armour - aim for there tracks! I use to find it funny shooting at all the tier VII meds and heavies who's tracks I would be constantly blowing out. Never just sit back sniping, talk about a waste of your resources (Mines excepted - at least initially from the north end) and always move forward once you need to. Always include APCR with your Ammo load out.

Happy hunting

On

Brendon

It's only a scratch, just buff it out. 

Actively working on Tier 9, Conquerer & T54 Tier 8, Indian, ISU 152 & IS 3, Tier 7, Comet, Panther & Tiger 1

star_sword2000 #8 Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:41 AM

Sergeant

• 12446 battles
  • [AUSIE]

Points when playing at2

• wiggle whenever someone is aiming their gun at you. reduce chance of a cupola hit. 
  • have some hard cover nearby to back up to incase of flank/circle.
  • use the 3.7inch howitzer, or whatever it is. Average reload, and u do about 110 with a non-pen, or 400 to a t28 (the tier 4 soviet, not the american t8 TD) if it pens

World of Tanks Generals Beta Tester, World of Warships Closed Beta tester, Heliborne Closed Alpha Tester. 

Leader of SH4FT, professor of committee of SHAFT. 

Current lines: German TD(s) (Jagtiger, St. Emil) German Light (ru251) German medium (halted for now) Soviet Heavy (IS3) British Mediums (Halted for now)

JK_STONE #9 Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:31 AM

Captain

• 11671 battles
  • [SH4FT]

I noticed recently that AT2 cupola is getting more difficult to hit.  

It used to be much easier when it was first released... I don't recall WG stating anything about buffing the cupola of the AT2 or British TDs.

Good luck on the battlefield!

stormventsrage2 #10 Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:39 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 26578 battles
More on this tank: been fighting it for a while and find the sides and rear really tough to pen. Regarding their own pen problems, a tank with 90 mm sides even if it is side on, might bounce ap with 110 pen even when the armor surface is not showing red. If the vehicle is pivoting to turning, you may still not see red when the collision angle is calculated, but the extra few degrees of armor could result in ten or twenty more millimeters of effective armor. In addition, it hard to see whether rounded armor, especially turret cheeks, is red or not. I often get suckered into non-penetrating shots against Russian tanks with round turrets.

Edited by stormventsrage2, 12 October 2015 - 12:40 PM.

The problem of leisure, what to do for pleasure....

Chalks #11 Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:58 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 15385 battles

Biggest drawback with this tank is your teammates. The few times I've been killed have been when they abandon you and allow you to get swarmed. It really amazes me that some players are so stupid that they don't know to stay close to the DoomTurtle junior. Especially when you ask them to do just that. They cockily hit 'negative' and piss off to the other side of the map.

The extreme was a tier 7 game were I bagged 5 in 5 separate one on one encounters with stunned mullets and got a second class mastery despite being killed by a camping IS and our team losing...

Still got 70% WR in it after 30 odd games though he he!

Dark_Exile_ #12 Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:56 PM

Captain

• 29462 battles
  • [UQ]
I liked this tank initially, I thought I was super, but after a while I began to dislike it, and my beginners luck slid away. It's gun is low damage low pen, armour is negated by cupola. And yeah.  When I have a few more credits, I might try re-buying it.

DEPUTY COMMANDER OF "UQ HOLDER!" ||| AUSTRALIA 

If you have any concerns regarding the game or reports of AFK players, send a PM with uncensored evidence and it'll be passed on. :)

Mel1337 #13 Posted 06 November 2015 - 01:42 PM

First Lieutenant

• 11240 battles
  • [VEST]
I would like to add one thing , is that packing APCRs are pretty important in this tank . the poor gun penetration and the slow overall movement means you will rarely , if ever get side shots at higher tier heavies and often had to face them head on , and when you do face them , that 110 pen easily bounces off the face of a Tiger . no matter how good you are , you will need premium rounds especially on AT2 & AT8 IMO . because those two had more than enough armor for their tier yet their gun severely lacks penetration whenever they're bottom tier

Edited by Mel1337, 06 November 2015 - 01:42 PM.

nicholasaudy #14 Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:59 PM

Corporal

• 15688 battles
  • [RIG]

Looks like I'm very late, but it's better late than never, after playing this tank with 170 matches, i think i can write a review about it. 

Pros : impenetrable front armor, high fire rate of gun

Cons : Super easy to get flanked, super slow, track is super weak and WILL get destroyed multiple times. Gun pen is low, hardly can penetrate a heavy tank, you can but you will need a preety good skill to pen those KV-1.

From this review, you can see that this tank is not OP at all, it requires a high skill to operate this tank, you can't just brawl directly in the middle of a battle (your super slow, and will get flanked)

Private_Nemesis #15 Posted 05 July 2016 - 04:40 AM

Sergeant

• 26564 battles
  • [ANZ]

I had to read and re-read some of the posts here after getting the AT2...they might have been talking about a different tank from my experience.

This tank rocks! Sure it's slow, get circled and you are dead but DAMN you are almost impenetrable with a little skill. Yes the gun has low alpha but "need a preety good skill to pen those KV-1"? Hell no...you'd have to be pretty bad not to penetrate it! The rate of fire is incredible and ultimately does a heap of damage. Throw in a rammer and vents and its the machine gun of WoT Blitz. In one of my first dozen games I managed to do over 2100 damage and killed 6 tanks...  and that only gets me a SECOND CLASS MASTERY cause others have done so much better with it!

Just like ANY tank, as long as you play it intelligently, work to its strengths, and avoid its weaknesses, its going to be a winner. Whether that suits your playing style and you enjoy it? Well that's a different story. Personally the AT2 has been SUCH  a different experience to all my other tanks I love it. The biggest frustration is other players not recognizing how powerful it is and supporting it properly. It ISN'T a tank destroyer...it is an Assault Tank...a break-through tank. Cover its [edited] in support, hide behind it

Babayega_1 #16 Posted 02 August 2016 - 12:46 AM

First Lieutenant

• 23547 battles
  • [_PWB_]
Its one tough SOB. BUT just hit the cupola and ull be ok. If you're driving it and ur map are deserts, dont listen to your teammates heckling you to follow them in the dunes. YOU WILL DIE. You're slow.you have no gun depression. YOu have almost 0 traverse and ur heavy. Either cap base or ambush those who are trying to cap base and you will be just fine.take hold of chokepoints and you will be the team hero with a shiny M after a battle. Go for the 2pdr. the howitzer wont do sh*t.

"Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."

- Erwin Rommel

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users