Couple of Questions Hetzer

hetzer abuse gameplay tank destroyer

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

P_6 #1 Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:07 PM

Sergeant

• 3346 battles

First off is it normal game chat for a player to be told “Fu#*ken Hetzer move!” when you are nicely sniping in some hits on oppo team?

Its my tank destroyer and I’ll snipe if I want too  :P

Secondly following the general consensus that the 10.5 cm is better than the 7.5cm (31% increase in maneuverability), the rate of fire is holding me back from getting that extra shot in. For sniping would I be better to switch? Or stay with the derp gun?

Appreciate your advice folks

"If the tanks succeed, then victory follows.", Guderian, 1937.

Tdizzl3d #2 Posted 09 August 2015 - 11:31 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 3454 battles

If you are sniping in the Hetzer, do it fairly far forwards and move from spot to spot.

In terms of guns, if you're sniping, the 7.5 is the way to go, as the derp gun *goes misty eyed* is really unnacurate.

But then again, I haven't played the Hetzer since its mobitity nerf a while back, so I may be wrong :P

World of Tanks Generals closed beta tester.

Roaming the dark corners of the forums.

jathu #3 Posted 09 August 2015 - 11:36 PM

Corporal

• 9094 battles
  • [SURLY]
Yup, the fast firing 7.5 is much better when sniping. The rate of fire and better accuracy ( i believe) helps alot when sniping. Also the shell velocity is low with the derp and the target will most likely be somewhere else when the shell arrives. But in close combat, derp is much better imo.

|| Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, ||

|| it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid ~ Albert Einstein ||

|| Aussie Tanker | Heavies4life | Proud member of ACE ||

maestr0_0 #4 Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:35 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 30977 battles
  • [STORM]

Hope this helps.. 

camping = doing nothing and having a campfire with marshmallow, or watching team get kill while happily singing the campfire song without an idea what is going-on in battle

Sniping = helping the team doing damage, and always relocating if current spot is not good, and if needed goes down to secondline/frontline to help the team... 

Pimp_Daddy_XR #5 Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:18 AM

Captain

• 43190 battles

For me, this vehicle is all about the derp gun.

I did the grind in my noob days and had a WR of about 50% using AP, I assume with the 10.5.

Since watching 48ton's ISU vid about derp, I went back to the Hetzer (after the nerf) using the derp gun/HE only, and my WR upto to 70%. Also helped alot being platooned with Fosknow. 

"I spent 90% of my money on booze, birds and Blitz. The rest I just squandered" (George Best)

P_6 #6 Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:39 AM

Sergeant

• 3346 battles

View Postfaceoff_lee, on 10 August 2015 - 02:35 PM, said:

Hope this helps.. 

camping = doing nothing and having a campfire with marshmallow, or watching team get kill while happily singing the campfire song without an idea what is going-on in battle

Sniping = helping the team doing damage, and always relocating if current spot is not good, and if needed goes down to secondline/frontline to help the team... 

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll stick to the initial sniping, then move in as close support. I do find all the 'help' chat at start of game to be distracting :P

JK_STONE #7 Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:45 AM

Captain

• 11444 battles
  • [SH4FT]

The thing about TD is that you find a good spot and shoot away, then you move again to another good spot.  

If you are inexperience of a particular map (or just inexperience.) and don't know where are the good spots, follow the leading medium/light tanks or behind heavy to provide fire power.

One simple rule, if you ever find yourself waiting for a shot while your team is already engage in firing, you are in the WRONG spot, so MOVE!!!!

I personally prefer the accurate 7.5cm AP with 110/160 (Pen/Damage) over 10.5cm Heat's 53/410.  You can hardly pen anything big with 53, maybe same tier and below light/medium tank.  As TD, my job is to help take out the 'big' enemy so that our light/medium can be agile with minimum worry.

With 7.5cm, I can be a factor even in tier 7 match, and add some value to my team.  The idea of one-shot is fun and all, but does not improve your skill. Only newbie or inexperience player stay stationary when their headlight goes off.  So you will not kill anyone 'good' with 10.5 HE, unless you are close up and personal, even then, you are prepare for one last shot of suicide run.

I think the "Derp" gun of Hetzer is very different than SU/ISU 152, so I don't think it has the same level of impact.

Just my 2c, good luck on the battlefield.

p.s. I love the comment by Lee on "Camping" and "Sniping"... wise words worth sharing with all players!

Edited by JK_STONE, 10 August 2015 - 05:29 AM.

Good luck on the battlefield!

P_6 #8 Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:52 PM

Sergeant

• 3346 battles

View PostJK_STONE, on 10 August 2015 - 03:45 PM, said:

The thing about TD is that you find a good spot and shoot away, then you move again to another good spot.  

If you are inexperience of a particular map (or just inexperience.) and don't know where are the good spots, follow the leading medium/light tanks or behind heavy to provide fire power.

One simple rule, if you ever find yourself waiting for a shot while your team is already engage in firing, you are in the WRONG spot, so MOVE!!!!

I personally prefer the accurate 7.5cm AP with 110/160 (Pen/Damage) over 10.5cm Heat's 53/410.  You can hardly pen anything big with 53, maybe same tier and below light/medium tank.  As TD, my job is to help take out the 'big' enemy so that our light/medium can be agile with minimum worry.

With 7.5cm, I can be a factor even in tier 7 match, and add some value to my team.  The idea of one-shot is fun and all, but does not improve your skill. Only newbie or inexperience player stay stationary when their headlight goes off.  So you will not kill anyone 'good' with 10.5 HE, unless you are close up and personal, even then, you are prepare for one last shot of suicide run.

I think the "Derp" gun of Hetzer is very different than SU/ISU 152, so I don't think it has the same level of impact.

Just my 2c, good luck on the battlefield.

p.s. I love the comment by Lee on "Camping" and "Sniping"... wise words worth sharing with all players!

Thanks JK after reading your detailed response I think i will take your advice and try the 7.5cm for a while. Also the advice of 'if you ever find yourself waiting for a shot while your team is already engage in firing, you are in the WRONG spot, so MOVE!!!!' Great words I will follow.

Cheers Peter

Mehliveat #9 Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:18 AM

Captain

• 18140 battles
  • [DP]
Also, the Hertzer is pretty forgiving when you have to charge into the fray.  The Stug, JPz4, and JPanther that follows are not.  So you have to get the balance right.  Sometimes its worth to wait for a little while when you don't have the shot.  Other times, you need to haul ass and get into the fight.

3_2_1_R_I_P_xx #10 Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:48 PM

Corporal

• 6594 battles

My thoughts on the Hetzer from a seperate post I started.

"Once mighty Hetzer now junk"

I was reading the notification board prior to the last update and came across proposed changes to the make up of the Hetzer. I purposely closed my eyes and closed out in horror that my beloved, pet Tier 4 tank destroyer would be bastardised in any way shape or form.

could someone excuse my stupidity for not paying it any attention and fill me in on 1. What the hell WG changed 2. Why the hell they changed it. 

I cut my teeth in this tank, it was the tank that got me loving the game, I have my only seven kills in my Hetzer, I considered myself an ace Hetzer commander. In fact I preferred tank destroyers as a whole and had developed a playing style around them (no, not always sniping, you don't get 7 kills in a Hetzer by hiding and sniping).

First I bit my lip and wore the removal of every god damn hill and bush on every god damn map there is, unfair sniping positions WG claimed, that's what TD's do for goodness sake. The reviews rolled in, " ahh great map now, much better, forces you into one on one brawls". Yeah flaming wonderful in your Zippy little medium or impenetrable heavy, meanwhile in my Hetzer, like a mouse in the middle of a basketball court looking for cover that's no longer there, I'm getting pinged by ke chi's and wang dongs left right and centre wondering if they lowered the side armour thickness for the Hetzer to Zero. It hasn't bounced a shot from any direction since the update.

Fair, I can't help thinking WG didn't get that many complaints from whining medium drivers because they didn't see the shot that destroyed them, FAIR, fair, really ? I can picture the look on Hitlers face when opening the letter and reading, " Dear Nazi Dictator. We the allied forces felt it necessary to write to you and voice our concerns over the UNFAIR use of your Hetzer tanks. They keep hiding or use high ground to blow up our nifty little super fast tanks. As a result we will be wiping out every locatable hill, rise, bump, elevated piece of ground or bush we can find so as to level the playing field ( no pun intended ) the bulldozers start Monday, please don't hide behind or up on stuff and shoot them until they have completed this task and we can continue on with a much Fairer war. Yours hatefully, whinging Poms.

Hitler, " yeah, scrap the Hetzer, it gives us an unfair advantage and it's frustrating the enemy"

[redacted]Flaming Heck.

Artisto81 #11 Posted 23 December 2015 - 06:48 AM

Captain

• 8231 battles

View Post3_2_1_R_I_P_xx, on 22 December 2015 - 11:48 PM, said:

My thoughts on the Hetzer from a seperate post I started.

"Once mighty Hetzer now junk"

I was reading the notification board prior to the last update and came across proposed changes to the make up of the Hetzer. I purposely closed my eyes and closed out in horror that my beloved, pet Tier 4 tank destroyer would be bastardised in any way shape or form.

could someone excuse my stupidity for not paying it any attention and fill me in on 1. What the hell WG changed 2. Why the hell they changed it. 

I cut my teeth in this tank, it was the tank that got me loving the game, I have my only seven kills in my Hetzer, I considered myself an ace Hetzer commander. In fact I preferred tank destroyers as a whole and had developed a playing style around them (no, not always sniping, you don't get 7 kills in a Hetzer by hiding and sniping).

First I bit my lip and wore the removal of every god damn hill and bush on every god damn map there is, unfair sniping positions WG claimed, that's what TD's do for goodness sake. The reviews rolled in, " ahh great map now, much better, forces you into one on one brawls". Yeah flaming wonderful in your Zippy little medium or impenetrable heavy, meanwhile in my Hetzer, like a mouse in the middle of a basketball court looking for cover that's no longer there, I'm getting pinged by ke chi's and wang dongs left right and centre wondering if they lowered the side armour thickness for the Hetzer to Zero. It hasn't bounced a shot from any direction since the update.

Fair, I can't help thinking WG didn't get that many complaints from whining medium drivers because they didn't see the shot that destroyed them, FAIR, fair, really ? I can picture the look on Hitlers face when opening the letter and reading, " Dear Nazi Dictator. We the allied forces felt it necessary to write to you and voice our concerns over the UNFAIR use of your Hetzer tanks. They keep hiding or use high ground to blow up our nifty little super fast tanks. As a result we will be wiping out every locatable hill, rise, bump, elevated piece of ground or bush we can find so as to level the playing field ( no pun intended ) the bulldozers start Monday, please don't hide behind or up on stuff and shoot them until they have completed this task and we can continue on with a much Fairer war. Yours hatefully, whinging Poms.

Hitler, " yeah, scrap the Hetzer, it gives us an unfair advantage and it's frustrating the enemy"

[redacted]Flaming Heck.

No need to copy paste your post into each other thread about Hetzer. I understand your frustration. But please refrain from doing so.

"In Russia, they say I'm a Pole, in Poland they call me Russian".

“The German army is a machine, and machines can be broken!”— Konstantin Rokossovsky

deongunner #12 Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:34 AM

First Lieutenant

• 6386 battles
  • [KG_70]
I'm not meant to be harsh, but stop playing it if you don't like it anymore, because the playstyle of this tank is pretty straightforward ambush (10.5)/assault (7.5) TD. The 7.5 cm is not really special compare to other TD guns, although its still a very good gun. Try to find a better tank to seal club (Pz. IV D, Pz. II, etc)  

Working on a Clan Youtube channel with friends - Waiting for clan members to accept

WR_70 (Warmachine Destroyer) - KG_70 Joint association (THE KNIGHT) - "Cooperation Leads Us to Victory"  

CarvinMarvin #13 Posted 25 December 2015 - 11:57 AM

Captain

• 22151 battles

I don't know about all this complaining. Since the updates to the maps I've run into quite a few Hetzers sitting behind the various dunes in perfect hull down positions only showing their upper plates. Very, very hard to dislodge because that armour is very tough with the angle, and you usually see teams sit in front of an enemy in that tier and try to shoot it out rather than moving around it. Even without a great deal of support I've seen them absolutely wreck tier 5 teams of mediums for little to no damage in return.

i would think a good Hetzer driver is still perfectly capable of driving that little monster.

CALVINJJ #14 Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:00 PM

Captain

• 13905 battles

View PostCarvinMarvin, on 25 December 2015 - 07:57 PM, said:

I don't know about all this complaining. Since the updates to the maps I've run into quite a few Hetzers sitting behind the various dunes in perfect hull down positions only showing their upper plates. Very, very hard to dislodge because that armour is very tough with the angle, and you usually see teams sit in front of an enemy in that tier and try to shoot it out rather than moving around it. Even without a great deal of support I've seen them absolutely wreck tier 5 teams of mediums for little to no damage in return.

i would think a good Hetzer driver is still perfectly capable of driving that little monster.

A good player can turns hetzer into scary beast no doubt

Feel that it's derp gun is quite powerful

Anger and emotion are strategically counterproductive. You must always stay calm and objective. -Robert Greene,the 48 laws of power-

_RB_33_ #15 Posted 26 December 2015 - 01:10 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 20718 battles
  • [101AS]
I took out the Hetzer for a spin once again... Though I have yet to drive a SU152, the Hetzer feels like its the SU152 for Tier IV.. Good times, good times..

Dr_Jedi #16 Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:37 AM

Captain

• 4199 battles
  • [SH4FT]

I don't use the derp gun on Hetzer. I use the high pen gun.

Maybe that's why I am not good in it.

Or may be I am just plain bad in it. Lol.

RazorOmegaOne #17 Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:19 AM

Captain

• 10002 battles
  • [OM3GA]

View PostDr_Jedi, on 26 December 2015 - 12:37 PM, said:

I don't use the derp gun on Hetzer. I use the high pen gun.

Maybe that's why I am not good in it.

Or may be I am just plain bad in it. Lol.

I always recommend everyone to try multiple matches in both guns before deciding on one

Proud Tanker Of SHAFT

FIGHT FOR YOUR TEAM,NOT FOR YOURSELF 

I do not expect mercy,neither should you expect any from me.

"American soldiers in battle don't fight for what some president says on T.V., they don't fight for mom, apple pie, the American flag...they fight for one another."
- Lt. Col. Hal Moore

JPS_Deathwalker #18 Posted 26 December 2015 - 01:36 PM

Captain

• 15788 battles
Derp gun is useless unless you are using HEAT. Otherwise,75mm one is the better option.

When you want to succeed as much as you want to live to breathe, then only you will succeed.

Diamond114 #19 Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:25 AM

Captain

• 16071 battles
  • [408]
Any suggestion on equipments and consumables? I was thinking about re-buying it

"Fight to fly, fly to fight, FIGHT TO WIN!" - U.S Navy Fighter Weapons School TOPGUN.

"Nothing is right in tactics. A good fighter pilot must be free to propose improvements to his tactics or he will get himself killed." - Cmdr. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, USN.

"To be a good fighter pilot, there's only one prime requisite; Think Fast, and Act Faster" - John Trevor Godfrey, 336 Sqn RAF

star_sword2000 #20 Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:01 PM

Sergeant

• 6350 battles
ok. in a hetzer, u can generally lead the pack. mount whatever gun if u are top tier. if u want to snipe, use the 7.5cm (good one) and just blow everything up. people rage at u in chat, their problem. they will get killed as its distracting them.

World of Tanks Generals Beta Tester, World of Warships Closed Beta tester, Heliborne Closed Alpha Tester. 

Leader of SH4FT, professor of committee of SHAFT. 

Current lines: German TD(s) (Jagtiger, St. Emil) German Light (ru251) German medium (halted for now) Soviet Heavy (IS3) British Mediums (Halted for now)

Also tagged with hetzer, abuse, gameplay, tank destroyer

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users