Is sniper mode view of tanks armour model glitched at close range?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

ownin #1 Posted 29 July 2020 - 04:26 AM

Corporal

• 2176 battles

hi i'm just curious about the model you see of how likely you are to pen. Its fine 95% of the time but it just seems extremely unreliable whenever you're at point blank range.

Just some random examples, shots on the classic is-3 roof weakspot, cupolas and shoulders which didn't have a hint of red but bounced reliably. Or shooting down onto the hull of tanks like the lowe or most pike nose the same thing happens.

Is it intended or to balance out face hugging?

P36C #2 Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:26 AM

Sergeant

• 22177 battles
  • [ME0W]
Spaced armor won’t show armor highlighting. For example, the turret front of the Tiger 1 looks completely grey to most tanks, as it only has 100mm of armor, but it actually has another thick slab of armor behind it, making it more or less impenetrable to most rounds. Cupolas also tend to have modules in them, for example the AMX 30B has optics everywhere on the massive cupola, which acts as a module and tends to absorb shots. Maybe this will explain some of the problems. Also, I believe penetration can roll up and down by a certain percentage, (I forgot exactly what) so if your penetration RNG rolls really low, then you might not penetrate seemingly easy targets. In addition, cosmetics such as the spare track links on the IS-3 nose, logs on the side of IS-2s, and storage bins on the back of the Type 61 turret etc, won’t show armor highlighting either.

Edited by P36C, 29 July 2020 - 08:29 AM.

JDBC567 #3 Posted 29 July 2020 - 10:28 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 2045 battles
  • [13RT]
Might be that in sniper mode, you see a close up of the enemy and at close range, even slight movements seem large and throw your aim off so you hit red areas instead of the easily pennable ones. Try memorising weak spots and not turning on sniper mode for close quarters combat

ownin #4 Posted 29 July 2020 - 12:38 PM

Corporal

• 2176 battles

View PostP36C, on 29 July 2020 - 08:26 AM, said:

Spaced armor won’t show armor highlighting. For example, the turret front of the Tiger 1 looks completely grey to most tanks, as it only has 100mm of armor, but it actually has another thick slab of armor behind it, making it more or less impenetrable to most rounds. Cupolas also tend to have modules in them, for example the AMX 30B has optics everywhere on the massive cupola, which acts as a module and tends to absorb shots. Maybe this will explain some of the problems. Also, I believe penetration can roll up and down by a certain percentage, (I forgot exactly what) so if your penetration RNG rolls really low, then you might not penetrate seemingly easy targets. In addition, cosmetics such as the spare track links on the IS-3 nose, logs on the side of IS-2s, and storage bins on the back of the Type 61 turret etc, won’t show armor highlighting either.

yeah that would explain the shoulders on the is3 but it seems like when theres just a big flat front like say an obj 252u at point blank it will consistently bounce multiple shots while showing a guaranteed pen with no spaced armour anywhere nearby

View PostJDBC567, on 29 July 2020 - 10:28 AM, said:

Might be that in sniper mode, you see a close up of the enemy and at close range, even slight movements seem large and throw your aim off so you hit red areas instead of the easily pennable ones. Try memorising weak spots and not turning on sniper mode for close quarters combat

unless your aim is distorted in sniper mode aiming in third person at any specific spot just makes things way harder

P36C #5 Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:38 AM

Sergeant

• 22177 battles
  • [ME0W]

View Postownin, on 29 July 2020 - 04:38 AM, said:

yeah that would explain the shoulders on the is3 but it seems like when theres just a big flat front like say an obj 252u at point blank it will consistently bounce multiple shots while showing a guaranteed pen with no spaced armour anywhere nearby

unless your aim is distorted in sniper mode aiming in third person at any specific spot just makes things way harder

Idk about the obj 252, cuz that upper plate is ridiculous, only Tier IX premium rounds or some TDs will have any chance of penetrating there. Unless you’re talking about the lower plate? I’d say that would simply be that at close range, every movement is amplified in your view, screwing up your aim.

JDBC567 #6 Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:42 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 2045 battles
  • [13RT]
Some parts that are not modules are highlited grey but are not pennable. A obj. 252u was facehugging my and 1375 and on the upper plate, there was a grey area but my shells weren't going through. I don't think it has a module over there because I didn't even cause module damage.
A small strip on the back of the crusaders turret is also grey in sniper mode but it can't be penned.
The ammo storage on the churchill(tier 5) is also grey in sniper mode but if you hit there, nothing happens.

__iTATi__ #7 Posted 30 July 2020 - 09:41 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 4323 battles
  • [ABOTS]
Anyone else had a glitch on Windows whereby on occasion when firing from sniper mode, instantly after you shoot, your screen/view springs 90 degrees to the right? It is so quick that i do not even see if i penned and have to move my mouse back quickly to see.

JDBC567 #8 Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:51 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 2045 battles
  • [13RT]

View Post__iTATi__, on 30 July 2020 - 02:41 PM, said:

Anyone else had a glitch on Windows whereby on occasion when firing from sniper mode, instantly after you shoot, your screen/view springs 90 degrees to the right? It is so quick that i do not even see if i penned and have to move my mouse back quickly to see.

Are you sure your hands were away from the touchpad?

I've never seen that happen and my pc is super glitchy and laggy and oldy and trashy and ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users