Tactics Overmatch Help Newbie

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

P36C #1 Posted 27 July 2020 - 11:09 PM

Sergeant

• 22177 battles
  • [ME0W]

Hello Commanders,

The Overmatch mechanic is a probably well known rule in the WoT system. However, quite apart from the fact that it is rarely mentioned (apart from in QB's WoT PC vids, Blitz Yters don't go into detail much as far as I know) do you really use it to your advantage? I'm sure you will find that you can be a lot more influential if you know where to hit. 

So what is the overmatch mechanic? In World of Tanks, if the caliber of your gun is 3X or larger than the nominal armor thickness (not effective, meaning it doesn't take into account the angle of the armor) which the shell hit, the shell will be guaranteed a penetration. A quick example; The Leopard 1 has 35mm of side armor. 35*3=105. Therefore, as long as you hit the side of the Leopard 1 with any gun 105mm and larger, you will damage it, unless you hit a module (gun, tracks, optics etc.). However, 100mm guns, such as on the T-62A and the Object 140 will not overmatch the Leopard 1 side armor, meaning that in a pinch, you can sidescrape even your Leopard against a Soviet medium and ricochet. Keep in mind that the overmatch rule only applies to AP and APCR rounds. HEAT and HE, including HESH and HEP will not ricochet, as they rely on a charge inside the round to penetrate, rather than kinetic energy. 

Knowing tanks' certain armor profiles will allow you to guarantee 100% penetration, granted you hit where you aimed. 
Here are some that you can take advantage of, that I feel are simply not exploited enough.

1. Lower hull of the Progetto 65. The Progetto 65 only has 30mm of armor on the lower hull behind the tracks. As long as your shells (larger than 90mm in caliber) penetrate the sideskirt and the tracks, it will overmatch and not only damage the tank, it will immobilize it, allowing you to get extra XP and pulling your team closer to victory. In accurate tanks such as the Leopard 1, Grille 15, etc, you will almost always take the tracks off when you hit the drive/idler wheel. 
  2. Lower hull of the AT 2. The AT 2 is infamous for being super heavily armored despite being at Tier V. The 17 pdr which very few tanks can mount at this tier only have a slight chance of penetrating the tank frontally. Even the cupola is not weak. However, the lower hull of the AT 2 only has 25mm of armor. Therefore, guns 75mm and larger will always penetrate (as long as those thick tracks don't absorb the shell). Apart from the Crusader and a few other tanks, Most Tier V tanks have a 75mm and larger gun. No matter how hard the AT 2 angles, your shell will always go through. 
  3. Area above the tracks on the inside of the tank for the T1 Heavy, M6, M6A2E1, and M6A2E1 EXP. All of these tanks have a hull that extends over the tracks and counts as hitboxes. Fire up into that area all of which have only 25mm or armor, and you will always penetrate. 75mm guns and larger will work so it won't be an issue even for most light tanks at Tier VI and up. Keep in mind that this will only work if you are firing on level ground with a slim chance of hitting or are firing up into the hull from below.
  4. Deck of the Obj 263. Hate it when a Obj. 263 face hugs you and you just can't penetrate? Hit the engine deck right in front of you which only has 30mm of armor, although you will need good gun depression angles and a tank with a gun as high as the engine deck or taller. (Remember, angles don't matter here, you just need to hit it). 

Well, there are many more and I could go on and on, but hopefully this helped a little if not a some more.

Cheers ppl :)

Edited by P36C, 27 July 2020 - 11:28 PM.

JDBC567 #2 Posted 28 July 2020 - 02:42 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 2045 battles
  • [13RT]
About the at2, I've never been able to pen even the lower Hull with a tier 5.
What lower Hull are you talking about?
The base?
Another question, do area that can be overmatching appear red in sniper mode?

P36C #3 Posted 28 July 2020 - 05:15 AM

Sergeant

• 22177 battles
  • [ME0W]

View PostJDBC567, on 27 July 2020 - 06:42 PM, said:

About the at2, I've never been able to pen even the lower Hull with a tier 5.
What lower Hull are you talking about?
The base?
Another question, do area that can be overmatching appear red in sniper mode?

Not simply the lower hull, the lower side hull, the armor right behind the tracks. Check the armor model on Blitzhangar and you'll be able to see what I'm talking about. I believe armor that can be overmatched will appear red in sniper mode if the armor is angled in excess of 75 degrees. Due to the fact that unless the shell overmatches, AP and APCR shells will auto-ricochet at an angle of 75+ degrees, the armor highlighting will show red. Therefore, the AT 2 you mentioned would look completely red angled, however its armor will be useless if you hit the right spot. 

Lord_Melchett #4 Posted 28 July 2020 - 06:52 AM

First Lieutenant

• 40078 battles
  • [1914]
Easier to explain where you are talking about with pictures?

JDBC567 #5 Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:03 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 2045 battles
  • [13RT]

View PostP36C, on 28 July 2020 - 10:15 AM, said:

Not simply the lower hull, the lower side hull, the armor right behind the tracks. Check the armor model on Blitzhangar and you'll be able to see what I'm talking about. I believe armor that can be overmatched will appear red in sniper mode if the armor is angled in excess of 75 degrees. Due to the fact that unless the shell overmatches, AP and APCR shells will auto-ricochet at an angle of 75+ degrees, the armor highlighting will show red. Therefore, the AT 2 you mentioned would look completely red angled, however its armor will be useless if you hit the right spot. 

I thought the at2 weak armour right behind the tracks was removed!

You should post this on YouTube or somewhere where a lot of people can see it.

I'm tired of noob teams who don't have the sense to flank at2s

P36C #6 Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:22 AM

Sergeant

• 22177 battles
  • [ME0W]

View PostLord_Melchett, on 27 July 2020 - 10:52 PM, said:

Easier to explain where you are talking about with pictures?

probably, but I didn’t want to upload a file nor create a link for the picture, unless there’s some other way? I’d gladly screenshot it

JDBC567 #7 Posted 28 July 2020 - 09:23 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 2045 battles
  • [13RT]

View PostP36C, on 28 July 2020 - 01:22 PM, said:

probably, but I didn’t want to upload a file nor create a link for the picture, unless there’s some other way? I’d gladly screenshot it

Upload a screenshot(there should be an option)

But I don't know how to do that.

Edited by JDBC567, 28 July 2020 - 09:24 AM.

Also tagged with Tactics, Overmatch, Help, Newbie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users