Best snipers tier for tier.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

JDBC567 #1 Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:53 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 2047 battles
  • [13RT]

I wanted to know which tanks are best for sniping in each tier.

Add in a comment on what you think is the best overall sniping line

erwin10001 #2 Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:57 PM

Captain

• 48454 battles
  • [NETS]

I checked my https://www.blitztankstats.com/asia/player/erwin10001/medals stats for the tanks with the most Sniper Tanker medals to discover which tanks are best for sniping.

What is noteworthy is that Vk28.01 and T-34-85 are good snipers too. I'm also particularly proud of the fact that I got a total of 4 Sniper Tankers in Cromwells (B + regular) as its accuracy is not the best!  2 sniper tankers in Helsing is also great!

I checked your stats and noticed you have 1 sniper tanker medal so far... also in Vk28.01. German accuracy FTW!

Edited by erwin10001, 02 July 2020 - 11:59 PM.

Lord_Melchett #3 Posted 03 July 2020 - 02:58 AM

First Lieutenant

• 40100 battles
  • [1914]
Germans.  Have the most accurate guns, and often the least armour - sniping becomes the first choice strategy.

WOT_Losers #4 Posted 05 July 2020 - 01:10 AM

Corporal

• 11535 battles
  • [SPR]
T5 the french S35 CA is an amazing sniper, can bounce some crazy shots because of its blister

JDBC567 #5 Posted 05 July 2020 - 12:35 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 2047 battles
  • [13RT]
I put up all tier 10 tech tree tanks in blitz stars tank compare and eleminated them one by one based on various things and the final result was that the t62-a is the best tier 10 sniper. Accuracy tied with the leo. And just short of the grilled accuracy. Good aim time. Good shell velocity. Can relocate quickly. Ok camo, ok penetration. And hence, I declared it the winner. The final contestants were the leo1, t62a, batchat and the Vickers cruiser. It really just comes down to what traits you want in a good snipers. The above 4 tanks are actually equal as snipers. I had trouble choosing one but in the end the t62a's superior armour won the game.

IGNORE_MY_WINRATE #6 Posted 21 July 2020 - 12:35 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 18883 battles
  • [18WOT]

View PostJDBC567, on 05 July 2020 - 12:35 PM, said:

I put up all tier 10 tech tree tanks in blitz stars tank compare and eleminated them one by one based on various things and the final result was that the t62-a is the best tier 10 sniper. Accuracy tied with the leo. And just short of the grilled accuracy. Good aim time. Good shell velocity. Can relocate quickly. Ok camo, ok penetration. And hence, I declared it the winner. The final contestants were the leo1, t62a, batchat and the Vickers cruiser. It really just comes down to what traits you want in a good snipers. The above 4 tanks are actually equal as snipers. I had trouble choosing one but in the end the t62a's superior armour won the game.

Judging by your LT stats and the content of this comment, I see it as unlikely that you understand the role of a light tank or medium tank. None of these tanks are intended to be used as snipers. I don't profess to be an expert myself (though my LT and MT stats are better than yours) but I am pretty sure that the idea of these tanks is to be closer to the frontline. If you try to snipe, your alpha damage will hold you back. Leave the sniping to the big guns.

Here's my list

Tier X: Grille XV

Tier IX: WT auf pz. iv

Tier VIII: Jagdpanther II

Tier VII: Jagdpanther/ Sturer Emil

Lord_Melchett #7 Posted 21 July 2020 - 12:46 AM

First Lieutenant

• 40100 battles
  • [1914]
To put recent posts in some context, any tank with a good gun can be an effective sniper - the only real criterion being accuracy at long range.  IMW's point, I assume, was that the fact that a tank can be an effective sniper may not be the best use of that tank.  LT and MT are much more effective when used in the scouting and mobile roles, rather than restricting themselves to sniping.  Additionally, if an LT or MT is sniping, it's not performing its role, possibly to the detriment of the team.

IGNORE_MY_WINRATE #8 Posted 21 July 2020 - 01:06 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 18883 battles
  • [18WOT]

View PostLord_Melchett, on 21 July 2020 - 12:46 AM, said:

To put recent posts in some context, any tank with a good gun can be an effective sniper - the only real criterion being accuracy at long range.  IMW's point, I assume, was that the fact that a tank can be an effective sniper may not be the best use of that tank.  LT and MT are much more effective when used in the scouting and mobile roles, rather than restricting themselves to sniping.  Additionally, if an LT or MT is sniping, it's not performing its role, possibly to the detriment of the team.

That's the point I was trying to get across

JDBC567 #9 Posted 21 July 2020 - 03:24 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 2047 battles
  • [13RT]
I know that LTs and MTs are not meant for sniping but that doesn't mean that they aren't good at sniping. Just look at the stats of the British tier 10 LT. It can snipers better than most 'big guns'
It can play aggressively much better than it can snipers but that doesn't mean that it isn't a good sniper.

IGNORE_MY_WINRATE #10 Posted 22 July 2020 - 03:55 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 18883 battles
  • [18WOT]

View PostJDBC567, on 21 July 2020 - 03:24 AM, said:

I know that LTs and MTs are not meant for sniping but that doesn't mean that they aren't good at sniping. Just look at the stats of the British tier 10 LT. It can snipers better than most 'big guns'
It can play aggressively much better than it can snipers but that doesn't mean that it isn't a good sniper.

I disagree entirely. You need to consider more than dispersion and aim time. Sniping is generally a tactic that takes advantage of brief mistakes. This requires a high alpha damage, as (as a sniper) you may only get 20 seconds on target in a game. Say this 20 seconds on target is a tank (or multiple) pulling out sideways five times over an entire game. In a Vickers, your outputted damage will be 1750 which, at tier X is far from special. In a Grille, for example, your outputted damage will be 3200. 

The LT and MT are also dealing with lower penetration values, meaning that their shots are less likely to cause damage. If you snipe continuously in MT and LT then you are doing yourself a disservice. The occasional long-shot in these tanks is totally acceptable, but if you find yourself sniping for extended periods then, no offence, but you're doing it wrong

Lord_Melchett #11 Posted 22 July 2020 - 04:33 AM

First Lieutenant

• 40100 battles
  • [1914]

View PostIGNORE_MY_WINRATE, on 22 July 2020 - 03:55 AM, said:

but if you find yourself sniping for extended periods then, no offence, but you're doing it wrong

Well, like everything, there are exceptions to this rule ...

Like when you scout the medium side only to find that all reds have gone heavy side, the reds are spotted and you have endless side shots (e.g. Black Goldville) - of course, the best thing for you to do is to snipe and take the shots on offer.  No need to relocate in those circumstances.  When there are no shots on offer, relocate and respot reds.  If you sit and wait for someone else to spot your targets, then you are doing it wrong.

I agree with the rest of your post.

IGNORE_MY_WINRATE #12 Posted 22 July 2020 - 05:01 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 18883 battles
  • [18WOT]

View PostLord_Melchett, on 22 July 2020 - 04:33 AM, said:

Well, like everything, there are exceptions to this rule ...

Like when you scout the medium side only to find that all reds have gone heavy side, the reds are spotted and you have endless side shots (e.g. Black Goldville) - of course, the best thing for you to do is to snipe and take the shots on offer.  No need to relocate in those circumstances.  When there are no shots on offer, relocate and respot reds.  If you sit and wait for someone else to spot your targets, then you are doing it wrong.

I agree with the rest of your post.

by extended periods, I mean spending an entire session sniping in your MT. The scenario you describe is a one in fifty opportunity and rarely lasts for more than a minute. 

I really appreciate the support though

JDBC567 #13 Posted 22 July 2020 - 05:54 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 2047 battles
  • [13RT]
I didn't say that you should snipe all the time. I'm just saying that when the situation arises, some lights and meds are very effective snipers.
Also, sniping doesn't mean sitting in one spot and shooting mistake makers. It also includes relocating when you don't get shots. If you play as a mobile sniper in a light, you can get a lot of damage without wasting your HP.
I'm not saying that lights should snipe all the time but when they are in a situation when they can snipe, they can be more effective than a grille

IGNORE_MY_WINRATE #14 Posted 23 July 2020 - 01:05 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 18883 battles
  • [18WOT]

View PostJDBC567, on 22 July 2020 - 05:54 AM, said:

I didn't say that you should snipe all the time. I'm just saying that when the situation arises, some lights and meds are very effective snipers.
Also, sniping doesn't mean sitting in one spot and shooting mistake makers. It also includes relocating when you don't get shots. If you play as a mobile sniper in a light, you can get a lot of damage without wasting your HP.
I'm not saying that lights should snipe all the time but when they are in a situation when they can snipe, they can be more effective than a grille

I would contest that they can be more effective than a grille, but they can definitely snipe. Sniping should be a reaction when the opportunity presents itself in a LT/MT, rather than the game plan. If we agree on that then we'll get along just fine in battle ;)

Edited by IGNORE_MY_WINRATE, 23 July 2020 - 01:05 AM.

JDBC567 #15 Posted 23 July 2020 - 04:10 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 2047 battles
  • [13RT]

View PostIGNORE_MY_WINRATE, on 23 July 2020 - 06:05 AM, said:

I would contest that they can be more effective than a grille, but they can definitely snipe. Sniping should be a reaction when the opportunity presents itself in a LT/MT, rather than the game plan. If we agree on that then we'll get along just fine in battle ;)

Yeah I agree on that. Lt and MT players shouldn't go into battle thinking-'yay!!! Another camping/sniping game!!'

__iTATi__ #16 Posted 23 July 2020 - 06:19 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 4323 battles
  • [ABOTS]

One of my pet hates and when I know a battle is going to be a challenge, is when I see a LT go to a TD spot at the start of a battle. 

Of course, you can kinda understand the logic being used by a new player that does not really understand the light tank role. They think, "I have no armor", "I cannot go with the big tanks and brawl at the front".

Both is true but you are not meant to go to the front in the same way that you are not meant to hide at the back. The LT is the eyes of the team, has the best mobility and view range as well as on the move camo. You are a scout that should avoid any kind of conflict whenever possible in the early part of the game. Your task is to see where the enemy team are (which gives the team the info needed to form their own plan). Then, you use the LT to take flanking positions, distract the oppo and keep them lit up for the team.

Keep moving, once spotted relocate and try to COD isolated TD's. 

Edited by __iTATi__, 23 July 2020 - 06:22 AM.

JDBC567 #17 Posted 23 July 2020 - 10:18 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 2047 battles
  • [13RT]

View Post__iTATi__, on 23 July 2020 - 11:19 AM, said:

One of my pet hates and when I know a battle is going to be a challenge, is when I see a LT go to a TD spot at the start of a battle. 

True. If a LT driver doesn't want to go up front, at least camp in a bush that will allow you to spot the enemy. I've had countless battles in which I had to scout in a slow heavy or a TD because the lights and mediums refuse to move from the bright red line.

BossArdnutz #18 Posted 23 July 2020 - 10:38 PM

First Lieutenant

• 29597 battles
  • [4CHT8]
Vineyards is a good example of a map where people seem to struggle with tank roles. I often see light tanks heading to A/B, and parking behind the building in order to cap. The team is left blind for at least the next 15 seconds, which is crucial at the start of a match, because it's the time when a good light tank driver is out spotting the red team heavies as they head into town; or, if they aren't spotted at the edge of town, they must be going A/B - either way, it's vital to know which one or is.

Blinding your team by refusing to spot, in favour of starting a cap at most 5 seconds before a medium tank will get there and start it anyway, forces everyone to commit to a position with no idea what the reds are doing.

Lord_Melchett #19 Posted 24 July 2020 - 01:31 AM

First Lieutenant

• 40100 battles
  • [1914]

View PostBossArdnutz, on 23 July 2020 - 10:38 PM, said:

Vineyards is a good example of a map where people seem to struggle with tank roles. I often see light tanks heading to A/B, and parking behind the building in order to cap. The team is left blind for at least the next 15 seconds, which is crucial at the start of a match, because it's the time when a good light tank driver is out spotting the red team heavies as they head into town; or, if they aren't spotted at the edge of town, they must be going A/B - either way, it's vital to know which one or is.

Blinding your team by refusing to spot, in favour of starting a cap at most 5 seconds before a medium tank will get there and start it anyway, forces everyone to commit to a position with no idea what the reds are doing.

That's a good example.  It's pretty specific, as most caps aren't actually in good spotting positions, because they are too exposed.

Arguably, the A and B caps on Vineyards are the best early spotting positions, and have bushes for cover as well.  I would say that makes them a good position for a light to get into asap, but remain in a position to spot the enemy going to the ruins.

JDBC567 #20 Posted 24 July 2020 - 02:30 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 2047 battles
  • [13RT]
The problem with going into a cap is that the enemy knows exactly where the lights are. That's not so good for a light.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users