Ideas on Improving the Playerbase

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Self Reflection (2 members have cast votes)

Is this a good topic to talk about?

1. Yes (2 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

TenHorizons2020 #1 Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:43 PM

Private

• 2067 battles
  • [TF131]

So I started playing Wot Blitz after I got tired from World of Warships, and have been playing for a few months. What I found is games made by wargaming all require a certain amount of strategic, tactical thinking and skill. This puts off a lot of people from playing, as proven from my attempts at inviting my friends and sister to play. We can yell at noobs as much as we like but the thing is we need them to create a huge and active community, and keep wot blitz growing.

I created this topic because the only thing related to the playerbase I could find after a brief glance through the forums are complaints about the military honour system. In my opinion those complaints are valid, but only go so far. Taking a step back I honestly think the military honour system can only go so far as well!

I think there needs to be a sincere effort to make the game more noob-friendly, while maining its challenge and stimulation. This topic aims to gather and organise all ideas that could help wargaming achieve that, if they are interested in doing so.

So first idea, a comprehensive mentor system. I have seen this mentioned but not discussed thoroughly. If you look at other games like Mobile Legends, they have this kind of system. I play a Chinese variant of the mobile game, and it goes like this:

1. 1 mentor can choose a maximum of 2 apprentices from their circle of friends. (I think mentor has to be a certain rank, I'm not too sure how the other games do it)

2. Mentor and apprentices play together and have their own set of daily missions to complete. Playing together gives extra bonuses like playing in clan platoon.

3. Those games have voice chat. I think that is so crucial in tactical and strategic games. Sometimes speed in communication is key, ease of communication allows people to be more willing to teach, and play with their friends! Voice chat with options such as mute, platoon chat, team chat and all chat would make the game so much better, in my opinion. Abusers can be reported. You can mute specific individuals, the enemy team, your own team and even your platoon mate if you want to.

4. There are mentor ratings. If the rating remains high, the mentor gets bonuses. If the apprentice graduates (gets to a certain rank), mentor gets more bonuses.

Hope this will be read and considered. I love wot blitz, but don't have a way to get good other than watching videos and reading a lot. If learning and training can be more fun, then it would be easier for more people, then wot blitz can grow.

Edited by TenHorizons2020, 30 June 2020 - 09:23 AM.

TheDarkCats #2 Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:05 AM

Corporal

• 3672 battles
  • [R4GE]

I highly doubt WG staff will read this but this could maybe be implemented but it is going to be hard.

Also about the voice chat, this community is extremely toxic, unlike mobile legends. It is probably best to not implement it as most voice chat offenders will slip away unpunished

JDBC567 #3 Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:43 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 2007 battles
  • [13RT]
The game needs a through tutorial teaching tactics like hulldown, sidescraping and teaching new players about what the different stats mean
There should also be a small crash course on effective armour.
There should be single player challenges that a player is required to complete before he/she is allowed to research a higher tiered tank.
All this will help new players a lot. If someone doesn't have access to YouTube, they won't even know the Golden rule of angling armour.
The tutorial teaches things that you can learn yourself in a battle or two so it's useless.
The mentor system is good too but how many veterans would like to coach newbies even if rewards are involved. Another way to improve the player has would be to make special matchmaking divisions based on the skill level of the player. Modify the military honour system and players can vote for their teammates about wether they should be allowed to proggress to the next diverse. Or not. Players who play badly can be demoted too.

TenHorizons2020 #4 Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:25 AM

Private

• 2067 battles
  • [TF131]

View PostJDBC567, on 30 June 2020 - 02:43 AM, said:

The game needs a through tutorial teaching tactics like hulldown, sidescraping and teaching new players about what the different stats mean
There should also be a small crash course on effective armour.
There should be single player challenges that a player is required to complete before he/she is allowed to research a higher tiered tank.
All this will help new players a lot. If someone doesn't have access to YouTube, they won't even know the Golden rule of angling armour.
The tutorial teaches things that you can learn yourself in a battle or two so it's useless.
The mentor system is good too but how many veterans would like to coach newbies even if rewards are involved. Another way to improve the player has would be to make special matchmaking divisions based on the skill level of the player. Modify the military honour system and players can vote for their teammates about wether they should be allowed to proggress to the next diverse. Or not. Players who play badly can be demoted too.

I like the idea of matchmaking divisions. I thinking that it can be like tours in tournaments.

Newb179 #5 Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:07 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 9412 battles
  • [CPU]
Forget about it. Members of the community have offered to make tutorial videos for free and yet they have been mum on that.
You want a better player base, you teach those new players personally by platooning and explaining things. One player at a time. And keep your in game chat helpful with short tips. Politely, not raging. Appreciate those that play well in the chat.

thatwarguy #6 Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:39 PM

Sergeant

• 1670 battles
  • [LIONS]

View PostTenHorizons2020, on 29 June 2020 - 11:43 PM, said:

So first idea, a comprehensive mentor system. I have seen this mentioned but not discussed thoroughly. If you look at other games like Mobile Legends, they have this kind of system. I play a Chinese variant of the mobile game, and it goes like this:

1. 1 mentor can choose a maximum of 2 apprentices from their circle of friends. (I think mentor has to be a certain rank, I'm not too sure how the other games do it)

2. Mentor and apprentices play together and have their own set of daily missions to complete. Playing together gives extra bonuses like playing in clan platoon.

4. There are mentor ratings. If the rating remains high, the mentor gets bonuses. If the apprentice graduates (gets to a certain rank), mentor gets more bonuses.

The things I agree to :great:. The voice chat, meh :sceptic:.

Edited by thatwarguy, 30 June 2020 - 01:45 PM.

"GG"  - thatwarguy, In-Game Chat, Encounter/Supremacy/Rating Battle, World of Tanks Blitz.

(Wait... I'm a unicum now?) (I have a 20% winrate in Tier 8 LMAO)

__iTATi__ #7 Posted 01 July 2020 - 01:54 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 4172 battles
  • [ABOTS]

WG do not want players to get better- simple as that. A good player is less likely to spend money on premium tanks if they do just fine in tech tree tanks. WG wants us to buy premium tanks thinking they will make us better players. 

We have been calling for a better tutorial system for many years. Spotting, angling, COD, sidescraping, hull down, reverse sidescraping, the different types of ammo (seriously annoying watching players fire HE for 10 damage), etc etc. Not happened and never will happen. Heck even all the CC's like Meadsy and Dogger offered to create  a better tutorial for free and WG was not interested. 

erwin10001 #8 Posted 01 July 2020 - 03:32 AM

Captain

• 47723 battles
  • [NETS]

View Post__iTATi__, on 01 July 2020 - 01:54 AM, said:

WG do not want players to get better- simple as that. A good player is less likely to spend money on premium tanks if they do just fine in tech tree tanks. WG wants us to buy premium tanks thinking they will make us better players. 

We have been calling for a better tutorial system for many years. Spotting, angling, COD, sidescraping, hull down, reverse sidescraping, the different types of ammo (seriously annoying watching players fire HE for 10 damage), etc etc. Not happened and never will happen. Heck even all the CC's like Meadsy and Dogger offered to create  a better tutorial for free and WG was not interested. 

There's another reason... such tutorials will make the game seem overly complex (actually Wotblitz is a rich & complex game, but the developers don't want this to be widely known) and a perception of a steep learning curve will turn new users away from the game.

JDBC567 #9 Posted 01 July 2020 - 05:05 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 2007 battles
  • [13RT]
So a tutorial in installments that get harder.
Like an EMI for the tutorial.

thatwarguy #10 Posted 01 July 2020 - 05:35 AM

Sergeant

• 1670 battles
  • [LIONS]

View Posterwin10001, on 01 July 2020 - 07:32 AM, said:

(actually Wotblitz is a rich & complex game, but the developers don't want this to be widely known)

Thats why Wargaming Asia messed up, that explains why most of the playerbase are flat-out nubs by their skill level.

"GG"  - thatwarguy, In-Game Chat, Encounter/Supremacy/Rating Battle, World of Tanks Blitz.

(Wait... I'm a unicum now?) (I have a 20% winrate in Tier 8 LMAO)

Maddoxkkm #11 Posted 01 July 2020 - 07:39 AM

Captain

• 41308 battles
  • [FEAST]
I like the sound of this mentor /mentee system, it definitely allows players who are willing to improve to find ways to play better. I'm always motivated to voice up plat with players and play with them as long as they're willing to listen and improve. haven't done that recently due to me being inactive around, though.

Leader of FEAST (Fulcra of the East), Twister Cup 2018 & 2019 Asia Server Champion

Developer of SerBot (Discord Stats Bot) & Mod Site MadWoTBMods

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. " ~Winston Churchill

Aky_Seargent #12 Posted 01 July 2020 - 07:50 AM

Sergeant

• 1530 battles
Don't think there are many pros to teach noobs here

"If you can, shoot at the rear, if you can't, shoot at the side. Don't bother with the front." 

- US Army General

Currently a UNICUM in the EU server(Formerly a SUPERUNICUM) (EU Server ID - TheMonk_74)

Newb179 #13 Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:48 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 9412 battles
  • [CPU]
Something modeled like Triarii Gladiator night is better. It is semi open training room, where the invitee is sponsored by 2 members of the clan to attend. That is if you want to teach players how to do better.

TenHorizons2020 #14 Posted 01 July 2020 - 11:05 AM

Private

• 2067 battles
  • [TF131]
In the North American forum, you have a Suggestions and Feedback folder for topics. You don't even have that folder here sigh. The Ask the Producer folder is discontinued.

JDBC567 #15 Posted 01 July 2020 - 01:05 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 2007 battles
  • [13RT]
Make dedicated training rooms to teach new players tactice like peek a boom and sidescraping.
Iterested veterans can teach the new players over there. Or a new 'learn as you battle' random battle mode where popups tell you what you are doing wrong

Newb179 #16 Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:23 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 9412 battles
  • [CPU]
If you don't restrict, vet and cull the players, the training room will become cops and robbers version. Or worse.

JDBC567 #17 Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:43 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 2007 battles
  • [13RT]

View PostNewb179, on 01 July 2020 - 07:23 PM, said:

If you don't restrict, vet and cull the players, the training room will become cops and robbers version. Or worse.

I saw one 'or worse' training room. See players have no decency. Minors are playing the game too people!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users