Jump to content


inconsistency of firing and auto aim


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

ownin #1 Posted 17 June 2020 - 04:29 AM

    Corporal

  • Member
  • 3184 battles
  • 56
  • [NZAJA]
  • Member since:
    12-03-2012

Does anybody else have issues where probably half the time auto aim just doesn't engage when you're moused over the middle of the entire tank, and occasionally when clicking the gun just doesn't fire. It essentially makes auto-aim unusable with how tiny the text at the bottom of the screen telling you its engaged is and with it lacking any sound affect. Especially when it also applies to taking off auto aim. 

Especially with how horrid sniper mode is snapping right to your guns view not where you're looking and dragging your camera all over the place



JDBC567 #2 Posted 17 June 2020 - 05:20 AM

    First Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 2163 battles
  • 562
  • [13RT]
  • Member since:
    06-02-2019
Don't use autoaim. It isn't good. I've never used it and many other players don't bother with it either. If you want, you could send a ticket to WG. Just don't use autoaim is my advice.

ankitgusai19 #3 Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:12 AM

    First Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 55201 battles
  • 766
  • [SMRT]
  • Member since:
    06-01-2015

I only play from mobile devices(iPad, Android) so this comment may not be completely relevant to PC players. 

They have given us two auto-aim mechanisms, Old and New.

 

The Old is an auto-aim that works locally on our devices, it follows a visible enemy vehicle when we aim at them. 

The New is an 'active' tracker that works in coordination with the server. The 'active' part here is that the tracker takes into account the enemy vehicle's speed and distance and leads the shot accordingly. 

None of these auto aims are instantaneous, in fact, they have certain latency(there is a rubberband effect). The old one has fixed latency because it is calculating vehicle position locally, the new on the other hand is a function of ping. It gets worse as ping gets high. While you can get used to this latency, its harder with the New mechanism.

There is also one another side effect with the new auto-aim that worsens with ping, it leads shells away from the center of the aiming circle. Check here for better visualization.

 

So what do people do in general to overcome this,

1) a lot of the players just disable auto-aim in sniper mode(PC and mobile users both)

2)If you are someone coming from WoT PC then not using auto-aim at all is kind of workable(but hard). The problem with blitz is that the zoom is auto controlled and unless you are aiming directly at the enemy vehicle you cant zoom to aim at weak points, and when you have disabled auto-aim you have to manually track enemy with your mouse to keep aiming circle on them(This is also the reason why I don't play realistic battle). 


Edited by ankitgusai19, 17 June 2020 - 06:18 AM.


JDBC567 #4 Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:54 AM

    First Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 2163 battles
  • 562
  • [13RT]
  • Member since:
    06-02-2019

View Postankitgusai19, on 17 June 2020 - 06:12 AM, said:

I only play from mobile devices(iPad, Android) so this comment may not be completely relevant to PC players. 

They have given us two auto-aim mechanisms, Old and New.

 

The Old is an auto-aim that works locally on our devices, it follows a visible enemy vehicle when we aim at them. 

The New is an 'active' tracker that works in coordination with the server. The 'active' part here is that the tracker takes into account the enemy vehicle's speed and distance and leads the shot accordingly. 

None of these auto aims are instantaneous, in fact, they have certain latency(there is a rubberband effect). The old one has fixed latency because it is calculating vehicle position locally, the new on the other hand is a function of ping. It gets worse as ping gets high. While you can get used to this latency, its harder with the New mechanism.

There is also one another side effect with the new auto-aim that worsens with ping, it leads shells away from the center of the aiming circle. Check here for better visualization.

 

So what do people do in general to overcome this,

1) a lot of the players just disable auto-aim in sniper mode(PC and mobile users both)

2)If you are someone coming from WoT PC then not using auto-aim at all is kind of workable(but hard). The problem with blitz is that the zoom is auto controlled and unless you are aiming directly at the enemy vehicle you cant zoom to aim at weak points, and when you have disabled auto-aim you have to manually track enemy with your mouse to keep aiming circle on them(This is also the reason why I don't play realistic battle). 

Auto aim doesn't track the reds it doesn't lead the shots. You have to do that on your own. Also, there is a setting to enable manual zoom. Use that. I use it too. Last of all, I'm not from work PC but I had no problem in not using auto aim. If you play on touch devices, I don't know what you should do but I recommend not using autoaim unless absolutely necessary. The auto aim leading shots away from the reticle could be because of a rotating turret. 



__iTATi__ #5 Posted 17 June 2020 - 07:02 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Member
  • 4323 battles
  • 341
  • [ABOTS]
  • Member since:
    11-22-2019
Never had the need to use auto-aim. It is not very good on PC anyway.

Aky_Seargent #6 Posted 17 June 2020 - 12:00 PM

    Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1618 battles
  • 191
  • Member since:
    07-26-2019
Only use when CODing a tank

"If you can, shoot at the rear, if you can't, shoot at the side. Don't bother with the front." 

- US Army General

Currently a UNICUM in the EU server(Formerly a SUPERUNICUM) (EU Server ID - TheMonk_74)


ownin #7 Posted 18 June 2020 - 12:02 AM

    Corporal

  • Member
  • 3184 battles
  • 56
  • [NZAJA]
  • Member since:
    12-03-2012

View PostJDBC567, on 17 June 2020 - 05:20 AM, said:

Don't use autoaim. It isn't good. I've never used it and many other players don't bother with it either. If you want, you could send a ticket to WG. Just don't use autoaim is my advice.

View Post__iTATi__, on 17 June 2020 - 07:02 AM, said:

Never had the need to use auto-aim. It is not very good on PC anyway.

it's a pretty useful tool. If you need to drive or snapshot when thats the difference between getting shot or not. Or with light tanks even if you don't use it to shoot it tracks them better than the inconsistent 3rd person reticle and sniper mdoe which drags your gun all over the place.

But yeah this is PC. I played mobile a couple of times and even with auto aim ive got no idea how you'd aim in an even vaguely timely manner



Aky_Seargent #8 Posted 18 June 2020 - 09:41 AM

    Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1618 battles
  • 191
  • Member since:
    07-26-2019
When CODing and driving a tank, REALLY FAST I find it to be the most good, but when I used it with my Churchill, I got confused as to which target to choose to lock on and got destroyed lol :teethhappy:

"If you can, shoot at the rear, if you can't, shoot at the side. Don't bother with the front." 

- US Army General

Currently a UNICUM in the EU server(Formerly a SUPERUNICUM) (EU Server ID - TheMonk_74)


ankitgusai19 #9 Posted 19 June 2020 - 06:08 AM

    First Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 55201 battles
  • 766
  • [SMRT]
  • Member since:
    06-01-2015

View PostJDBC567, on 17 June 2020 - 11:54 AM, said:

Auto aim doesn't track the reds it doesn't lead the shots. 

 

It does, I have included the video evidence as well. Again this may be a ping relevant thing, I play around 100-120 ping. And this is a known thing, it has been Experienced by many. The effect is more prominent with fast-moving targets.

have look at this NA forum discussion
 http://forum.wotblitz.com/index.php?/topic/101686-what-is-the-difference-between-%E2%80%9Cold-auto-aim%E2%80%9D-and-%E2%80%9Cnew-auto-aim%E2%80%9D/

 

Block Quote

 Also, there is a setting to enable manual zoom

 If there is, then that's a good option to have, when I played in PC a while ago (2017-18)  that was not optional. 


I personally have got accustomed to the auto-aim and it does not create any issue for me. My effort in the previous post was to make op aware that there are few complexities with auto-aim features and my explanation is heavily based on mobile devices.


 






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users