Rushing thru the tanks?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

AnthonyIrwin #1 Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:37 PM

Corporal

• 5058 battles
  • [-FOXY]
Hi there so I've been doing a lot of ramming thru the tech trees and trying to get a tank as soon as i can but recently have reconsidered this strategy since if you see this post soon after i post this you know what i mean but for future readers I've only got 300 something battles now, yet i have gotten tier 4-5 already. my German and American vehicles are at tier 5 while U.S.S.R and limey lines are at IV at time of this post. I have read other older posts and some vets suggest doing 5k battles before moving on. i think ive been too rushed in my lines, what should i do?

thatwarguy #2 Posted 28 May 2020 - 06:36 PM

Sergeant

• 2621 battles
  • [LIONS]

View PostAnthonyIrwin, on 28 May 2020 - 04:37 PM, said:

Hi there so I've been doing a lot of ramming thru the tech trees and trying to get a tank as soon as i can but recently have reconsidered this strategy since if you see this post soon after i post this you know what i mean but for future readers I've only got 300 something battles now, yet i have gotten tier 4-5 already. my German and American vehicles are at tier 5 while U.S.S.R and limey lines are at IV at time of this post. I have read other older posts and some vets suggest doing 5k battles before moving on. i think ive been too rushed in my lines, what should i do?

Maybe you should take your time, grind other tech tree lines to increase your amount of battles, or just play the same vehicle multiple and multiple and multiple times (like I did on the T1 Heavy), try to repetitively play in the tank you love and use it to grind credits and battle experience and eventually, use that tank to seal club in lower tiers if you're skilled enough in that tank, or play other unfamiliar tanks to master their playstyles and if you played enough, can even grind credits from THOSE unfamiliar tanks. My advice is to check if you are already having fun in your tank (i.e. if you have an amazing run in the A-20, grinding so much credits and XP, while also mastering it's playstyle, then you are fit to play either the T-34 or the KV-1) So play until you master it then move on, you can keep track of your mastery of a certain tank by checking your winrate and how many aces or other badges you have accumulated in that tank, I recommend having about 1-2 mastery ace class badges and at least a 50% winrate in that tank before moving on, but it's up to you, so when you see fit, move on. Hope this helps :honoring:

Edited by thatwarguy, 28 May 2020 - 06:41 PM.

"GG"  - thatwarguy, In-Game Chat, Encounter/Supremacy/Rating Battle, World of Tanks Blitz.

(What happened to tier 4? I need more seals to club in my Tier 5!) (I'm a fookin' unicum in my BDR and T1 Heavy.)

__iTATi__ #3 Posted 29 May 2020 - 07:06 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 4323 battles

One of the biggest complaints that experienced players have is newer players rushing to the high tiers. In Tier 9 and 10, it is nearly impossible to make credits (in fact, you will usually lose credits) so when you have a team full of inexperienced players that are not sure what they should be doing in their particular tank, winning becomes extremely difficult and losing can bring losses of 50k+ credits per battle.

At the end of the day, it is your account, so how you want to play it is up to you. You will certainly endear yourself for even thinking about this as many do not and just rush up and ruin the gameplay at higher tiers. If you want to stand a chance of contributing at the higher tiers, it is important that you know what to do in order to perform.

As the above poster suggested, one of the biggest tips is to stay at a tier until you hit a certain WR for that tier. 50% is a decent marker. I would suggest trying out a range of different tanks at each tier so that you get a better understanding of their strengths and weaknesses when playing them and facing them. 

If you find that you win more than 50% of your games in a variety of tanks at tier 5, move up slowly to tier 6. Do the same again by trying out different tanks. You will also start to come up against tier 7 tanks in tier 6, so learn about them and their weaknesses. Once you start to perform well enough in tier 6, move up again.

Most new guys will pick a Tier 10 that they aim to get and focus on that single line only. Rushing up it and when they get to higher tiers contribute very little and have something like a 30% in their higher tier tanks. Instead, I work on multiple lines at a time - get them all up to tier 5 before then working them all up to tier 6 and so on. I think I am running as many as 5 lines right now.

Also, as you progress up the tiers, new maps unlock, so it is important to get a feel for these too. 

My biggest gripe is people not understanding tank types and their roles on the battlefield. It is so frustrating to see LTs camping at the back of maps when they should be spotting/flanking or both. HTs are another type of tank that many camp in when they should be pushing the lines and leading from the front using their armor to bounce shots. So watch YouTUbe videos on how to play light tanks/medium tanks etc etc. Those videos are also a great place to see how good players play and what they do.

Ultimately it is your choice but you will please experienced players for considering how you work your way up the tiers.

thatwarguy #4 Posted 30 May 2020 - 06:29 AM

Sergeant

• 2621 battles
  • [LIONS]

View Post__iTATi__, on 29 May 2020 - 11:06 AM, said:

It is so frustrating to see LTs camping at the back of maps when they should be spotting/flanking or both. HTs are another type of tank that many camp in when they should be pushing the lines and leading from the front using their armor to bounce shots.

Just a normal day in low tier :popcorn:, I always see Leopards (The tier 5 LT) camp next to my StuG III, same goes for the HTs (they don't know that HTs have bad camo rating compared to the TDs) but it's their tank so I shouldn't bother. My TDs = :bush:,my teammates beside me = :hiding:.

"GG"  - thatwarguy, In-Game Chat, Encounter/Supremacy/Rating Battle, World of Tanks Blitz.

(What happened to tier 4? I need more seals to club in my Tier 5!) (I'm a fookin' unicum in my BDR and T1 Heavy.)

__iTATi__ #5 Posted 30 May 2020 - 06:33 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 4323 battles

View Postthatwarguy, on 30 May 2020 - 06:29 AM, said:

Just a normal day in low tier :popcorn:, I always see Leopards (The tier 5 LT) camp next to my StuG III, same goes for the HTs (they don't know that HTs have bad camo rating compared to the TDs) but it's their tank so I shouldn't bother. My TDs = :bush:,my teammates beside me = :hiding:.

Yeah, bad enough with standard LTs but seriously, camping in a Leo that has an autocannon? How many shots do they think will be on target let alone pen? 

thatwarguy #6 Posted 30 May 2020 - 10:21 AM

Sergeant

• 2621 battles
  • [LIONS]

View Post__iTATi__, on 30 May 2020 - 10:33 AM, said:

Yeah, bad enough with standard LTs but seriously, camping in a Leo that has an autocannon? How many shots do they think will be on target let alone pen? 

EXACTLY! I can count with my fingers + toes how many times I saw a Leo doing it's job (scouting and flanking) but I can only count with 1 hand how many times it did it's job (scouting and flanking) correctly with success :facepalm:.

Edited by thatwarguy, 30 May 2020 - 10:24 AM.

Aky_Seargent #7 Posted 30 May 2020 - 03:18 PM

Sergeant

• 1728 battles

Man i have played a lot with the leo. My fav tank. Although i sold it after getting to the german med that comes after, it still was a fun tank to drive. You can flank anyone in this tank, so its low pen, which, i think, can be compared to a machine gun in real life, doesn't matter. This was the first fast tank i drove. I owned the crusader, which wasn't as much fast. But truly, a leo is a force to be reckoned with.... i got my first Mastery I in this tank.. so i have some good memories... makes me feel nostalgic. Some tank has 200 hp, circle around and get the machine gun going! That tank must have been destroyed by now :teethhappy:

"If you can, shoot at the rear, if you can't, shoot at the side. Don't bother with the front." 

- US Army General

Currently a noob in the EU server (EU Server ID - TheMonk_74)

thatwarguy #8 Posted 01 June 2020 - 07:58 AM

Sergeant

• 2621 battles
  • [LIONS]

I've only got 300 something battles now, yet i have gotten tier 4-5 already.

I've seen people with 700-800 battles running around with an LTTB, Bulldog, SP I C (although most Sp I cs end up successful), and a progetto. And that's Tier 7!

thatwarguy #9 Posted 03 June 2020 - 08:23 AM

Sergeant

• 2621 battles
  • [LIONS]

I have read other older posts and some vets suggest doing 5k battles before moving on.

That's kinda BS in my opinion, I think that rule belongs to getting a tier 9 or 10.

JDBC567 #10 Posted 07 June 2020 - 11:03 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2222 battles
  • [13RT]
Judge yourself on how many battles you should play beformoving on. For someone who's played wot PC or [some other game not worth mentioning] etc., They don't need to wait before moving on
A complete novince might want to do that.
But some people have a knack for these games and they don't need 5K battles before going to tier 6
Though tier 6 can be considered as a training tier, don't train at tier5< because as many people have pointed out, they are infested with seal clubbers.

erwin10001 #11 Posted 08 June 2020 - 10:08 AM

Captain

• 49682 battles
  • [NETS]

View PostJDBC567, on 07 June 2020 - 11:03 AM, said:

Though tier 6 can be considered as a training tier, don't train at tier5< because as many people have pointed out, they are infested with seal clubbers.

tier 6/7 there are too many fast tanks that cause beginners problems - vk28, Drac, amx12t, lttb, vk28.01

what beginners need for a training tier is a tier where:

(1) tanks are slow (easy to shoot)

(2) tanks are big (and easy to shoot)

(3) tanks mainly camp behind bush all day (hate being flanked by Drac platoons?)

(4) gives you preferential MM by putting you in the top tier all the time

From what I see, tier 10 fits the bill nicely. And look at store, 20,000 gold for Badget. It's a steal!

Before someone says beginners should not buy tier 10 tanks, please check with WG. WG is 100% supportive of all players buying tier 10 premiums - thats why new players will get offers for tier 10 tanks displayed at game startup.

Edited by erwin10001, 08 June 2020 - 10:11 AM.

JDBC567 #12 Posted 08 June 2020 - 10:11 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2222 battles
  • [13RT]
Well it's a steal IF you have 20K gold.
But other than that, nice plan! Top tier always!

JDBC567 #13 Posted 08 June 2020 - 10:13 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2222 battles
  • [13RT]

View Posterwin10001, on 08 June 2020 - 10:08 AM, said:

tier 6/7 there are too many fast tanks that cause beginners problems - vk28, Drac, amx12t, lttb, vk28.01

what beginners need for a training tier is a tier where:

(1) tanks are slow (easy to shoot)

(2) tanks are big (and easy to shoot)

(3) tanks mainly camp behind bush all day (hate being flanked by Drac platoons?)

(4) gives you preferential MM by putting you in the top tier all the time

From what I see, tier 10 fits the bill nicely. And look at store, 20,000 gold for Badget. It's a steal!

Before someone says beginners should not buy tier 10 tanks, please check with WG. WG is 100% supportive of all players buying tier 10 premiums - thats why new players will get offers for tier 10 tanks displayed at game startup.

U said vk28 twice

And these tanks aren't much if a problem. Most vk players rush out and get killed. Same with amx.

The only problem are the dracs terribly fast and insane traverse but you don't see too many of them.

I'd say tier 6 is ok but stick to tier 5

Aky_Seargent #14 Posted 08 June 2020 - 01:50 PM

Sergeant

• 1728 battles

View PostJDBC567, on 08 June 2020 - 03:13 PM, said:

U said vk28 twice

And these tanks aren't much if a problem. Most vk players rush out and get killed. Same with amx.

The only problem are the dracs terribly fast and insane traverse but you don't see too many of them.

I'd say tier 6 is ok but stick to tier 5

Agreed...however I would like to add another point. Tier 6 and upwards has tanks that can blow you up in a single shot

"If you can, shoot at the rear, if you can't, shoot at the side. Don't bother with the front." 

- US Army General

Currently a noob in the EU server (EU Server ID - TheMonk_74)

JDBC567 #15 Posted 08 June 2020 - 02:39 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2222 battles
  • [13RT]
That's rare like kv2 or Sunday 152 or isu152 but they are only effective in the hands of an experienced player and the odds of that are low.

__iTATi__ #16 Posted 09 June 2020 - 10:34 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 4323 battles

View PostJDBC567, on 08 June 2020 - 02:39 PM, said:

That's rare like kv2 or Sunday 152 or isu152 but they are only effective in the hands of an experienced player and the odds of that are low.

Vindicator, Smasher, SU100, SU100M, SU-152, SUY, SU-122-44, KV2 and heck even the T49. Lots of tanks that can pretty much wipe you out in one shot if you are a tier 6 player.  

Edited by __iTATi__, 09 June 2020 - 10:37 AM.

AnthonyIrwin #17 Posted 10 June 2020 - 03:42 AM

Corporal

• 5058 battles
  • [-FOXY]
Yeah, thanks for all that.

View Post__iTATi__, on 09 June 2020 - 10:34 AM, said:

Vindicator, Smasher, SU100, SU100M, SU-152, SUY, SU-122-44, KV2 and heck even the T49. Lots of tanks that can pretty much wipe you out in one shot if you are a tier 6 player.  

I know what this means. sometimes im slapped as bottom tier (ugh) and find dreadfully effective tanks. for example, this kv2 nearly ate all my health in a kv1 (not gonna get that tho, the kv2) and i ultimately died after having popped only a few rounds at them. sad:amazed::arta:

AnthonyIrwin #18 Posted 10 June 2020 - 03:46 AM

Corporal

• 5058 battles
  • [-FOXY]
what should i actually do if im bottom tier in games? (I really need help at this)

__iTATi__ #19 Posted 10 June 2020 - 04:25 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 4323 battles

View PostAnthonyIrwin, on 10 June 2020 - 03:46 AM, said:

what should i actually do if im bottom tier in games? (I really need help at this)

You need to play as a bottom tier tank. What I mean is, you cannot be as aggressive as you would if you were top tier. You need to play a support role for the top tier tanks on your team. Be second line rather than at the front. Just try not to die early and take shots at the oppo when they are distracted by the other tanks on your team. 

JDBC567 #20 Posted 10 June 2020 - 04:57 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2222 battles
  • [13RT]
Find an undefended flank far from the majour fight and use it too flank the enemy but don't do a full flank or overextend. Preferably find a spot with a bush and some hard cover and then snipe at the sides of the enemy. Watch out for their lights and meds.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users