Thoughts on the Chi-Ri?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

P36C #1 Posted 18 May 2020 - 08:00 PM

Corporal

• 18255 battles
  • [ME0W]

Hello tankers!

I haven't been doing as well as I expected in the Chi-Ri. Up to 150 battles in it, and my WR is only 51%. So the Type 5 Chi-Ri. This is the last tank the Imperial Japanese Army got to produce during WWII. They built an incomplete prototype, but you might as well call it complete, because the only thing it didn't have when captured by the US was the 7.5cm semi-autoloading gun. The gun is everything on the Chi-Ri isn't it? It has incredible damage per minute despite being an autoloader, and it releases it's shells faster than any other high-tier autoloader. The drawback to this tank, well is everything else. It's massive, slow, has no armor, and it's view range is quite poor. I even bothered to drop coated optics for camo net so that I don't get spotted 250 meters away and get annhilated. It's mobility won't allow for much either, and it's penetration isn't enough to contest the front of many heavy tanks. So how does one play this to it's limits? On Port Bay for example, I get whacked if I try to make a move, and let's be honest, you can't camp in Port Bay.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance :)

Lord_Melchett #2 Posted 18 May 2020 - 11:53 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 39069 battles
  • [1914]
In the current meta especially, it's a sneaky peek a boom tank.  Go unspotted,wait until target is distracted, pop out, unload 3 shots in 2 seconds, get back into cover.  Preserve hit points and clean up low health tanks in the end game with your burst damage.  That's about it, it has all the disadvantages you mentioned.  It does have decent gun depression, but the turret is easily penned, so you can't go hull down.

ownin #3 Posted 19 May 2020 - 04:51 AM

Corporal

• 1266 battles
  • [CASUL]

I'll be honest it doesn't seem very appealing to me. I absolutely love the t71 and the chi-ri just seems like a t71 which gives up speed, size, sneakyness or what makes it good for an extra half second in between shots and 300 dpm.

__iTATi__ #4 Posted 20 May 2020 - 07:01 AM

Sergeant

• 2556 battles
  • [ABOTS]

Its a horrible line tbh.

The TDs are good but the line below will test your patience. 

The tanks are just not good enough to carry in and that starts at Tier 5 right to the top. They are support tanks that work best on the outside of battles (shooting distracted tanks using ridges for cover). Problem is, because you are relying on the tanks you are supporting, if they suck - you are dead. 

Good gun handling, depression, pen etc - your gun on most of these tanks is literally your ONLY redeeming factor. You have no armor, poor mobility, are generally HUGE and view range sucks. You will always come out second best when brawling any other MT or LT, cannot COD even the slowest TDs and are a HE magnet for HT's.

The Chi-Ri is probably the most fun due to the auto-loader. The STA used to be quite good but has been powercrept and while the Type-61 is pretty good, the grind to the Tier 10 is horrid. So horrid in fact, that I am still doing it slowly a year later on my main account - I just don't have confidence that the Tier 10 will be competitive against other same tier MTs from other nations - so am grinding that line ever so slowly.

BossArdnutz #5 Posted 20 May 2020 - 02:42 PM

First Lieutenant

• 26504 battles
  • [4CHT8]
I rather enjoyed it - it's challenging but that firepower is just great.

STA-1 and Type 61 were both very good up until the US lights came out. Now they are just HE magnets with good guns but not good enough. STB-1 seems pretty good from coming up against it, I have it researched but not bought yet.

P36C #6 Posted 20 May 2020 - 09:36 PM

Corporal

• 18255 battles
  • [ME0W]

View Post__iTATi__, on 19 May 2020 - 11:01 PM, said:

Its a horrible line tbh.

The TDs are good but the line below will test your patience. 

The tanks are just not good enough to carry in and that starts at Tier 5 right to the top. They are support tanks that work best on the outside of battles (shooting distracted tanks using ridges for cover). Problem is, because you are relying on the tanks you are supporting, if they suck - you are dead. 

Good gun handling, depression, pen etc - your gun on most of these tanks is literally your ONLY redeeming factor. You have no armor, poor mobility, are generally HUGE and view range sucks. You will always come out second best when brawling any other MT or LT, cannot COD even the slowest TDs and are a HE magnet for HT's.

The Chi-Ri is probably the most fun due to the auto-loader. The STA used to be quite good but has been powercrept and while the Type-61 is pretty good, the grind to the Tier 10 is horrid. So horrid in fact, that I am still doing it slowly a year later on my main account - I just don't have confidence that the Tier 10 will be competitive against other same tier MTs from other nations - so am grinding that line ever so slowly.

Well, I think the Chi-Nu and the Chi-To are actually good, although the Chi-Nu could use a slight RoF buff. They have amazing accuracy and gun handling and decent mobility. It's not easy, but they are good tanks. The Chi-Ri is the most fun when it works, I just can't make it work all the time, and I think it gives up too much for its auto-loader. The Type 61 is like the Chi-Nu or Chi-To but with best in class DPM, while the STB-1 is an exception in the line. It actually has armor XD.

P36C #7 Posted 20 May 2020 - 09:38 PM

Corporal

• 18255 battles
  • [ME0W]

View PostBossArdnutz, on 20 May 2020 - 06:42 AM, said:

I rather enjoyed it - it's challenging but that firepower is just great.

STA-1 and Type 61 were both very good up until the US lights came out. Now they are just HE magnets with good guns but not good enough. STB-1 seems pretty good from coming up against it, I have it researched but not bought yet.

Agreed, it's a high skill cap line but its not bad. The STA-1 I feel is a bit lackluster however, and the Type 61 is I think still viable, its like a Leopard 1 at Tier IX balanced with less mobility. The Chi-Ri, I think is good, but gives up too much for the auto-loader, although obviously, some great players can make it work.  I can't though lol. I enjoyed the Chi-Nu and the Chi-To though, they are great tanks.

__iTATi__ #8 Posted 21 May 2020 - 06:53 AM

Sergeant

• 2556 battles
  • [ABOTS]

View PostP36C, on 20 May 2020 - 09:36 PM, said:

Well, I think the Chi-Nu and the Chi-To are actually good, although the Chi-Nu could use a slight RoF buff. They have amazing accuracy and gun handling and decent mobility. It's not easy, but they are good tanks. The Chi-Ri is the most fun when it works, I just can't make it work all the time, and I think it gives up too much for its auto-loader. The Type 61 is like the Chi-Nu or Chi-To but with best in class DPM, while the STB-1 is an exception in the line. It actually has armor XD.

Perhaps im being a little harsh - they possibly just go against my playstyle. I am an aggressive player which is obviously not the way to play them. Although I do play a bit further back and realise they are meant as a support tank, perhaps I am still subconsciously being too aggressive in them. I run close to 70% in most medium tanks at tier 6 and 7 but tanks like this or the Firefly which are more support mediums I run at just around 60%. I guess I just like to make things happen rather than waiting for others to. 

ownin #9 Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:12 AM

Corporal

• 1266 battles
  • [CASUL]

View Post__iTATi__, on 21 May 2020 - 06:53 AM, said:

Perhaps im being a little harsh - they possibly just go against my playstyle. I am an aggressive player which is obviously not the way to play them. Although I do play a bit further back and realise they are meant as a support tank, perhaps I am still subconsciously being too aggressive in them. I run close to 70% in most medium tanks at tier 6 and 7 but tanks like this or the Firefly which are more support mediums I run at just around 60%. I guess I just like to make things happen rather than waiting for others to. 

i think the chi-nu you can play aggresively just because of how tier 5s are. It's basically just a sherman that trades armour for speed and Shermans are good.

The chi-to is just straight up bad though because its just the same tank except with 3 seconds off the reload except its as slow as a heavy tank and bigger and fights tier 7s. It's alright when you're in a mid range fight with gun depression that you control and neither teams pushing but thats it. A average dpm low alpha medium which can't push or hold a position if you're pushed is just a worthless role in 7v7. A minute playing passive and you're teams dead and gg or the other teams dead and you're too slow for cleanup damage.

BossArdnutz #10 Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:15 PM

First Lieutenant

• 26504 battles
  • [4CHT8]
Yeah, I struggled with the chi-to as well. Good gun depression, ruined by a large cupola. I guess it's good practice for the Type 61 which has an even larger top hat!

Looking at my stats, Chi-Nu, Chi-Ri and STA-1 were the stand out tanks of the line for me at ~56%. The Type 61 was the same until the T92E1 came out, at which point it dropped to about 45%. Once the T92E1 got nerfed I was able to drag it back up to 50%, use a research certificate to unlock the STB-1, and sell the Type (and I almost never sell tanks).

STB-1 is getting a nerf in 7.0, too. They're taking 10m off its view range.

Lord_Melchett #11 Posted 22 May 2020 - 01:34 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 39069 battles
  • [1914]

I played the Type 61 before the big buff, and it sucked.  Like a Leo PTA, except worse in every way.

I thought that the rest of the line worked okay, if you could avoid brawling or being frontline.  So basic support mediums, really.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users