Smasher Time - Death of tier 6

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

cameron1979 #1 Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:43 AM

Corporal

• 19630 battles
  • [FLY]

So the Smasher is in the shop for crates, as a driver who spends most of their time at tier 6, a smasher on the red team has pretty much meant a loss if the red driver has any ability and doesn't have awful luck or teams around them. So I started my normal warmup games in my ARL and Vk 36, I do this to test the connection for this session and to get my eye in in, in two tanks which are pretty dominant themselves and yes at tier 5 both I think OP, the number of 3000K Dmg at tier 6 in these tanks for an average player like me says allot.. However with Smasher being for sale every battle pretty much had one, and tier 6 is over for a few weeks till the fad passes. I tried every trick against it, back to conservative peek a boom but you cant hit trade, and the armour is really good from distance so you have to get up close so I gave up.

So after 5 battles of having been destroyed by Smashers, or platoons of Smashers, most by people with WRs of over 60% in my little tier 6 Hts while my team gets platoons of T71s, SP1C, panthers or St Emil (god I hate those tanks on my team when they are top tier and I am bottom tier) I decided I had to have one. I bought the big bundle and luck has it, 2nd crate I got one. I got a shed load of free XP so if you work on 25000XP for 1000 Gold I think I paid about 5000 gold for it. yes I was lucky, very lucky

What a machine!!! First battle 4 kills and over 3K, yes I was top tier but reds had a Smasher as well. Best thing was my kids were watching and thought I was superman as we ended up 2 vs 5 after the red smasher went nuts and I had to adjust to the play style, and I pulled it off, albeit thanks to Smasher. Ive never liked the KV2, too long waiting behind buildings reloading only for your shot to hit the dirt from 50m away with the occasional 1 shot to keep you interested. Like golf Im told!! This is not the KV2. Check You Tube for the experts opinions but this is crazy.

After 5 Battles, 100% WR, averaging over 2K dmg and 2 Kills though it was a bit sad, I prefer the surgeon strikes, almost chess battle of the ARL or VK36 to the big hits and almost felt like a bully, people make normal moves and hit me for 250dmg and I hit them back for 700dmg. Greenhorns with no clue just get slaughtered. Also in 5 games  think I have 3 steel walls so its not paper mache either. At one stage I had the side of one of my beloved ARLs and couldn't bring myself to HE him as has happenned so many times to me. The only time it struggles for DMG is when there is an thrashing on the reds or there's another Smasher on your team. This and Im an average player at best.

Yes I haven't seen tier 8 yet and that will be trickier but its not like your facing tier 8 in a SP1C or Panther where you may as well sit in the corner against IS5 or OBJ 252U.

Tier 6 is dead for a while I think, might go up to tier 8 a bit more, theres a few tanks that have gathered a bit of dust.

What do we think of the Smasher dominated landscape ATM? I suggest until the missile tanks come out, avoid tier 6.

BossArdnutz #2 Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:27 AM

First Lieutenant

• 29816 battles

I hate the Smasher, I think it's bad for the game and I wish they'd never sold it. I like to play challenging tanks and I don't gamble, so I'm not going to purchase even a single crate, and even if it'd been in the auction I wouldn't have bought it.

It's right up there with the WZ-120-1-FT as a brokenly overpowered tank that distorts gameplay in any match it is in, provided it's driven by a player who is at least marginally competent (as in, about 47%+).

NZHawk #3 Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:51 AM

Private

• 15165 battles
  • [ANZ]

I totally agree with you that the Smasher has ruined tier 6. I played two games a few hours ago and in each there were two Smashers on the red team versus one on my team. The Smashers were destroying tanks with most times one shot. Even though they are in crates at a 5% chance of dropping, it is clear a large number have been won. So, if today is an example, Smashers will appear in twos often totally dominating the tier. I have played with the aim to get better by learning new skills etc and grind tech tree tanks which suit my play style. Basically, that is now a waste of time given my ARL44 or VK36.01H can be near destroyed with one or two shots. 

In competitive ventures you need to have a level playing field whereby skill levels are matched and the winner on the day used his skills, experience, team work to win. This is what made WOTB an excellent game as it offered a challenge to  master tank types, read maps etc etc. 

To have a monstrous overpowered tank that a novice could play and easily win is grossly unfair. WG I see now is a money grabbing monster who has no concern for its players of many years who have developed skills in order to play well. The solution would be for WG to recognise this disastrous decision to release this tank again and have the courage to nerf the tank, say in damage and accuracy to make it closer to the KV2 which does require skill to play well.

DieWithYourBootsOn #4 Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:57 AM

Corporal

• 7364 battles

Yeah, Smasher in every game right now which is kind of dismal.

Looking at Armor Inspector, it looks like most tanks can pen the front of it with AP, better to aim at the hull, though.

Between this and the Gravedigger, it definitely takes some fun out of playing Tier 6 and even Tier 7 - I think I might keep the T23E3 parked for a week or two. And the IS-2.

But you definitely can't sit there and trade shots - it's too bad they just outright sell this stuff.

Here's the DPM of some Tier 7 Heavies:

Lycan 1900
Nameless 2208
M6A2E1 1871
Gravedigger 2319
Vulcan 1918
Smasher 2533
IS-2 (1945) 1900
Tiger (P) 2411

The Smasher has 33% more DPM than the IS-2 (1945). Ouch.

DieWithYourBootsOn #5 Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:17 AM

Corporal

• 7364 battles

Double-ouch! The Smasher's DPM using only HE is 3,800.

On the plus side, the turret traverse is only about 20 degrees. Don't let that gun point at you!

The bad decision this puts on us as players, is that using myself as an example, I'd never choose to buy/play these toy tanks, but you kind of have to in order to keep competitive. Not appreciating that WG.

ZIGZAGZ #6 Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:35 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 30185 battles
  • [KILLS]

Previously, even though the Smasher was a collector's tank, it was purchased using Real $$$. So WG could not nerf it within the next 2 years without giving away the lawful right for consumers to ask for refunds on their purchase...

Now, it is being sold with IN-GAME currency, which isn't tied by such a law. SO the nerf bat is coming. But then again, the tank is so OP, that they'd need to nerf it like two notches down to even be slightly above par to the other T7 tanks.... Sad life.

TinDingo #7 Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:28 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 27610 battles
  • [OVR50]

You pay, you win.

Working as intended.

Every system is perfectly designed to produce exactly the results that it produces

Newb179 #8 Posted 16 January 2020 - 05:32 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 9544 battles
  • [CPU]

View PostBossArdnutz, on 15 January 2020 - 08:27 AM, said:

I hate the Smasher, I think it's bad for the game and I wish they'd never sold it. I like to play challenging tanks and I don't gamble, so I'm not going to purchase even a single crate, and even if it'd been in the auction I wouldn't have bought it.

It's right up there with the WZ-120-1-FT as a brokenly overpowered tank that distorts gameplay in any match it is in, provided it's driven by a player who is at least marginally competent (as in, about 47%+).

*small voice*

Don't unfriend me pls. I have both of those tanks. Can't resist the Smasher and WG generously gave me a WZ-120-1 FT with my only snowglobe.

Haven't take the Smasher out yet and completely noobing with the WZ 120 (10% WR out of 12 battles during the event. How bad can I get??)

Thankfully WG had buff many tier 7 armor in this update 6.7 so the Smasher should be slightly not OP in its tier.

anonym_Pw1NrtcUchdZ #9 Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:11 AM

Corporal

• 0 battles
No one should be trolled if they go for it. After all it’s a choice we all have.
I never blame players I blame WG for this grossly immoral way to make money.

TnkDztroyer #10 Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:14 AM

Captain

• 10 battles
I don't like fantasy tanks. I only have one, Helsing, which I got in the snow globe, but I hardly ever play it.

Greens 0 / Reds 7 situation normal..  

BossArdnutz #11 Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:50 PM

First Lieutenant

• 29816 battles

I won't troll anyone for using a tank that's in the game, it's all part of the experience whether I like it or not and it's my choice to participate.

I got very low rolls for snowflakes, so I didn't get a snow globe, so not using one of those tanks was an easy decision for me. If I had gotten a globe & rolled up the WZ I honestly don't know whether I'd have played it, parked it or sold it. I'm definitely not here to judge anyone!

That said, I'm normally very generous with upvotes after games, but team mates playing either of these tanks will have to do something pretty spectacular to get a green thumb from me. Bailing me out of a certain-death situation or similar. Just doing lots of damage won't cut it as that's the minimum I expect someone with one of those tanks to do.

I used to view Dracula and Helsing the same way, but both have been power crept and are no longer particularly OP as the game stands these days. 

Edited by BossArdnutz, 16 January 2020 - 09:52 PM.

ankitgusai19 #12 Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:31 AM

First Lieutenant

• 54846 battles
  • [SMRT]
Dont play tier 6 and 7 for at least few weeks. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users