KV-1 Newbies please read.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Salted_Porg #1 Posted 11 January 2020 - 01:56 AM

Private

• 553 battles

A long time ago the KV-1 was a fantastic tank. However after the update 5.5 and how WG completely messed up in the biggest way possible the KV-1 is no longer the same.

New players are always told play KV-1 it’s noôb friendly or newb as I prefer to say. The KV-1 is actually quite hard to play well now so do not watch old YouTube vids by CC’s telling you to go KV-1. You will not enjoy it.

If you want to learn then it’s a good tank but it will not win matches if you can’t play it. And if you can’t play it well you can’t play the tiers higher well.

You need to spend time at tier 5 and learn the skills needed to move up, it’s not just about rushing to tier X because you will get there and have a 30-40% WR at best.

Also if you have gold to put legendary camo on it use that to free Xp the top gun, don’t run around splashing for 30 damage with the useless derp gun.

I hear “it’s only a game” all the time and it is only a game but it’s a team game and while doing your best is fine as long as you are actually doing something. Doing zero damage and hitting affirmative after the battle is won by someone who did 3k damage and you camped your KV-1 at spawn in a bush ( not even using proper bush mechanics) will get you raged at.

Anyway have fun it is a game but winning is always more fun than losing.

STEEL_Firestorm #2 Posted 11 January 2020 - 02:13 AM

Sergeant

• 26128 battles
  • [R0RY]

You make some valid points, but I wonder how many players will actually follow advice along the lines of ‘get good before rushing to high tiers’. I’m thinking that 46% WR players playing tier X don’t really care about stats/winning so trying to convince them is quite pointless. Players who follow this advice usually have decent WR and have some self-awareness. 

But anyway, your post will be helpful to those who consider it.

ankitgusai19 #3 Posted 11 January 2020 - 06:48 AM

First Lieutenant

• 52090 battles
  • [SMRT]

The reality is that not many players care about stats. Most of them dont even stick with the game for more than a month. It's probably frustrates them but game is inclined towards ' grind and invest' than 'improve and enjoy'.  WG obviously has monetary reason to do so.

The reason behind simplification of lower tier was to cover the symptoms rather than to cure the disease. 

Rather than building a learning pipeline WG removed whole bunch of tanks that new players meandered around.( which they presumed confused newbies ultimately leading them to uninstall the game)

The solution was not that hard, or at leas they should have tried to implement it. 
-Build a scenario around a game with bots, show visual feedbacks on what to do based on user feedback ("Dynamic help").
    Start with showing how to move tanks, where enemy starts and where friendly starts.
    then what is armour and shell pen number is, what are the weak points and how to pen a tank. 
-Build another scenario for juking, baiting, flanking, tanking, side scarping, tracking a tank and using bush mechanics. 

-Show them where forums and discord server is, tell them how to use it.

Not all of this will stick, sure, but it takes two 7 min games to make newbies start getting familiar with game mechanics.

After that follow with 5-10 easy games against bots and newbies with active tracking, after each game show player analysis of his performance and mistake after each games. Show them why a particular shot didnt pen or why his tank was penned, what general mistakes they make. 

STEEL_Firestorm #4 Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:01 AM

Sergeant

• 26128 battles
  • [R0RY]

PC WOT has bootcamp where many of the mechanics you mentioned are covered, so we know that this possibility is not entirely new for WG.
Will they implement it? Hard to say, although the balancing at lower tiers / removal of tanks suggest that WG are also trying to cater for newer players. I predict that this unfortunately won’t happen since WOT Blitz is mobile game which already takes up quite a large amount of space. But who knows... 

This next is just my thoughts on the current state of the game. Not really disagreeing/agreeing with what you are saying.

If bootcamp is added, maybe as a mission/reward thing, I think it would be a better start for newer players. But in the end, you can force someone to play many training battles, but if they don’t take the effort to apply their knowledge in real situations and just default to ‘drive forwards and shoot’, they will not get better.

IMHO, those who have the mindset of improving will improve, regardless of the complexity of the tutorial. One of my friends are the opposite. They just play and don’t watch YT tutorials despite my suggestions, so improvement is non existent. This is what separates the good players and the ones who play 20K + games but still have white WR (assuming that devices, internet connection, etc is similar).

Rieaz #5 Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:12 AM

Private

• 70 battles
Soo~ what newb friendly line for each category (light, meds, heavy, TD)? :D

STEEL_Firestorm #6 Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:15 AM

Sergeant

• 26128 battles
  • [R0RY]

If you are thinking of tier 4-7 which I presume is you:

Lights: try Cromwell (British mediums). It is basically a light tank in terms of speed and armour, but also has a decent gun.

Mediums: Russian mediums e.g. T-34-85 and T-43

Heavies: Churchill and Blackprince (British heavies) are fantastic for learning heavy tank skills.

The T1 heavy and M6 (American heavy) is also very good. 
TD: Either German or Russian TDs would probably be the best.

Salted_Porg #7 Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:04 AM

Private

• 553 battles

Play everything at tier 5 and when you play it well move up. I bought a tier v premium and some gold and now have nearly every tier V I can currently get. I play them all as each teaches something different. You can get good stats on most of them if you don’t just think about the next tier. Some are a bit harder.

Don’t waste time 1-4 the bots there teach you nothing.

so many people have Ras medals from tiers 1-4 it’s not something to feel confident in your ability to play well at tier 5

Edited by Salted_Porg, 16 January 2020 - 08:06 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users