Type T-34 is GARBAGE

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

P36C #1 Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:11 AM

Corporal

• 10949 battles
  • [GNG]

Hello!

So I was grinding through the Chinese line to get to the IS-2 which I've always wanted (I couldnt get the IS-2 Berlin if i had it I wouldnt bother) and I went through the Type T-34, and by god it was awful. So lets compare the Type T-34 to the Crusader, both in its top configuration. Well, the Crusader has better camo, better mobility, has better AP penetration, has more than double the gun depression of the T-34, and actually looks good (just my opinion). This tank is ridiculous!?!?!? I didnt even stop to get an ace for this I just played it until when I had enough XP then sold it ASAP. On the other hand, I really liked the Type 58 and I'm going to keep it. The IS-2 was ok as well though the gun sucks. But seriously, the Type T-34 is ridiculously powercreeped, powercreeped? No its just has its stats altered into something god awful. WG I think you really should do something about this. 5degrees of gun depression, and 112mm pen on its top gun!?!?!?!?[edited]

TnkDztroyer #2 Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:21 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 7 battles
And not only the Type T-34 but also the Russian T34. In fact the chinese version is better except for gun depression, which is 3 degrees less. I also don't like the Type 58 and the IS-2. I've never done much good with any of these four tanks. But then, I'm just an average player.
The Valkyria Chronicles tanks have arrived! Hurry up and Pay to Win!

BossArdnutz #3 Posted 04 August 2019 - 10:03 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 16800 battles
  • [DERPU]

It took me a long time to get the Type T-34 up to 50wr. The WZ-131 was a pretty awesome reward for the grind. I struggled with the Type 58, which is weird, because on paper it's better than the T-34-85 which I performed pretty well in (for me at least).

The IS-2 was just horrible. One of those tanks that I worked on until I finished the grind and got to 50wr then will probably never drive again if I can help it.

P36C #4 Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:11 PM

Corporal

• 10949 battles
  • [GNG]

View PostBossArdnutz, on 04 August 2019 - 02:03 AM, said:

It took me a long time to get the Type T-34 up to 50wr. The WZ-131 was a pretty awesome reward for the grind. I struggled with the Type 58, which is weird, because on paper it's better than the T-34-85 which I performed pretty well in (for me at least).

The IS-2 was just horrible. One of those tanks that I worked on until I finished the grind and got to 50wr then will probably never drive again if I can help it.

Well the only reason why I went down the Chinese line is to get the IS-2. If I get the IS-2 Berlin away it goes and to hell with the Chinese Line. Ill probably still get the other tanks but almost every HT after the IS-2 and every MT after the 58, every TD is a red hot fake, I'm not too keen on the Chinese line really. 

As for the Type 58, try it hull down and move constantly. The turret is MEGA troll; it looks pennable by most tanks, but it bounces pretty much every 80+ and 75+mm shells that arent well aimed. 

P36C #5 Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:26 PM

Corporal

• 10949 battles
  • [GNG]

View PostTnkDztroyer, on 03 August 2019 - 11:21 PM, said:

And not only the Type T-34 but also the Russian T34. In fact the chinese version is better except for gun depression, which is 3 degrees less. I also don't like the Type 58 and the IS-2. I've never done much good with any of these four tanks. But then, I'm just an average player.

lol im only an average player myself as well so i cant really give expert opinions but I didnt know the T-34 was bad as well. The Type 58 was pretty good. Its amazing hull down. Try it its a monster doing that

TnkDztroyer #6 Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:47 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 7 battles

View PostP36C, on 04 August 2019 - 10:26 PM, said:

lol im only an average player myself as well so i cant really give expert opinions but I didnt know the T-34 was bad as well. The Type 58 was pretty good. Its amazing hull down. Try it its a monster doing that

The t-34 has got to be the worst tier 5 medium.

The Valkyria Chronicles tanks have arrived! Hurry up and Pay to Win!

ZIGZAGZ #7 Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:14 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 25131 battles
  • [KILLS]

I got 70% on the Type T-34, with a 48% survival rate in 92 battles.

This tank is nowhere near as bad as you guys make it out to be. It's learning curve however is much steeper. Let me review slightly on this.

This tank is a DPM machine. You can make a shot every 3 seconds. For that reason, many newer players will have trouble knowing how to use it's short reload gun well. Because they always panic during a fight. This is what a 40% player does: A KV-1 shoots you for 200 damage and a 10second reload, and you shoot him back for 90 damage with a 3 second reload. And then you wait for things to happen...... You wait until the Kv-1 reloads and comes back out to shoot u again, then u shoot him back... This is how 40% players waste their gun reload time. If you went guns ablaze in a forced situation, u can easily out DPM the KV-1 all while circle-of-deathing him.

Many players tend to retreat after shooting. But the Type T-34 is there to put pressure on others. You only retreat slightly into cover, but always remain ready to shoot the moment the shell reloads, which is pretty darn quick. You're supposed to have made minimum two shots for every shot that someone else made. But nubs tend to wait too long for things to happen. They miss that window of opportunity. All that glorious DPM.

Also, another major flaw i found in the Type T-34 is its gun depression. It makes for MANY occasions of fked up misfires as you graze across that mini lump of soil that you never ever noticed in other tanks. I encountered that many times in my first 20 battles when i was playing it. I realised that i was always in a poor angle to make my shots and the gun depression was never enough. Then i refined the way i played, and took a more 'planned' approach. I would position my tank to move forward and backwards on a CHOSEN flat or advantageously slopped spot, in-&-out of cover continuously, as i made my shots. As i checked and looked at the ground when approaching, and angled my tank in a position i wanted, i coulda simply cause so much problems for the enemy as a moving target in a 'corner turn', all while negating that gun depression problem, 

If you want to play this tank well, you have to look at the ground you are moving on. If you want to play this tank well, you have to dare to make the second and third shot in the KV-1's face or butt. If you want to play this tank well, put the pressure on the front line. 

Edited by ZIGZAGZ, 04 September 2019 - 06:18 AM.

PANPAKAPAAAN2427 #8 Posted 04 September 2019 - 04:45 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 380 battles
  • [TDAF]

View PostZIGZAGZ, on 04 September 2019 - 06:14 AM, said:

I got 70% on the Type T-34, with a 48% survival rate in 92 battles.

This tank is nowhere near as bad as you guys make it out to be. It's learning curve however is much steeper. Let me review slightly on this.

This tank is a DPM machine. You can make a shot every 3 seconds. For that reason, many newer players will have trouble knowing how to use it's short reload gun well. Because they always panic during a fight. This is what a 40% player does: A KV-1 shoots you for 200 damage and a 10second reload, and you shoot him back for 90 damage with a 3 second reload. And then you wait for things to happen...... You wait until the Kv-1 reloads and comes back out to shoot u again, then u shoot him back... This is how 40% players waste their gun reload time. If you went guns ablaze in a forced situation, u can easily out DPM the KV-1 all while circle-of-deathing him.

Many players tend to retreat after shooting. But the Type T-34 is there to put pressure on others. You only retreat slightly into cover, but always remain ready to shoot the moment the shell reloads, which is pretty darn quick. You're supposed to have made minimum two shots for every shot that someone else made. But nubs tend to wait too long for things to happen. They miss that window of opportunity. All that glorious DPM.

Also, another major flaw i found in the Type T-34 is its gun depression. It makes for MANY occasions of fked up misfires as you graze across that mini lump of soil that you never ever noticed in other tanks. I encountered that many times in my first 20 battles when i was playing it. I realised that i was always in a poor angle to make my shots and the gun depression was never enough. Then i refined the way i played, and took a more 'planned' approach. I would position my tank to move forward and backwards on a CHOSEN flat or advantageously slopped spot, in-&-out of cover continuously, as i made my shots. As i checked and looked at the ground when approaching, and angled my tank in a position i wanted, i coulda simply cause so much problems for the enemy as a moving target in a 'corner turn', all while negating that gun depression problem, 

If you want to play this tank well, you have to look at the ground you are moving on. If you want to play this tank well, you have to dare to make the second and third shot in the KV-1's face or butt. If you want to play this tank well, put the pressure on the front line. 

Exactly. I didn't have any problems grinding out the tank. All I did was make sure I had cover to hid behind and I was on flat land. 

"Okay, It's my turn to taste you now"- Prinz Eugen AL.  

Leader of the Tea drinkers and Anime fan clan.

Survived two years of Blitz.

YouTanker #9 Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:12 AM

Private

• 5777 battles
  • [X1]

I'm gonna tell you my experience in T-34. I don't know much about Type T-34 but it looks pretty much the same. I had a blast. Great games in it, probably one of my best performing tanks.

Played 111 battles, average damage per battle = 1000, 3 Ace tanker games, 10+ topgun, 2 radley-walters, bunch of High calibers and what not. average wn8 per battle=3517. winrate=64.86%. max base xp = 1486. maximum damage per battle, although not recorded on those stat websites, it was over 2500 or at least 2400.

So yes pretty solid results and actually much better than my KV-1 stats. The reason is in the mobility. KV-1 is such a slow pig that I often find it hard to run away from adverse battlefields or reach the good battlefields early enough to score good results constantly. With T-34 it's much easier to make decent results every battle.

My gun choice is the 76mm not the 57mm. People love the rapid rate of fire of the 57mm but then I look how much damage they actually do with it, and they do mostly below 500 damage and that's even with players with 60%+ winrate. I absolutely believe 76mm gun is the better option. The ALPHA damage is the gem of the tank. The reason I take the alpha instead of DPM is that it reduces the amount of time you have to expose yourself. T-34 is not a tank with great armor. Its turret just gets penned by any tanks. So what I do with it is peek-a-boo. And I want to expose myself as less often as possible if I can, so that I minimize the chance to take hits.

160 damage per shot is MASSIVE for a tier 5 tank. That is a Wolverine level ALPHA, and almost contends to that of KV-1. As a person who've also had enough experience in KV-1, the only tier 5 mediums that actually concerned me were those with high ALPHA (and high enough PEN of course, because who cares about alpha if it always bounces lol). And T-34 with 76mm is one of them. (no i'm less concerned about PZ4G because their shots usually bounced off my KV-1, but not sure if it was the opposing players' skill problem or the gun itself is just not good enough as T-34's. And Yes a hulldown M4 at a distance is a bigger threat than a T-34 any day but that doesn't mean T-34 is laughable.)

Also the 125mm penetration is just more than enough at its tier, The only time I really care to switch to APCR is when I'm against Churchill7, and that is a tier 6 Heavy.

125mm penetration cuts KV-1's frontal armor like butter. You just need to zoom in and shoot the area that is not red.

And that's all about it. I can easily make 1k+ damage per battle with T-34 if the team is not TOO BAD, and in tier 5, as little as 1k damage actually quite often carries the game.

The most damage I did in it was over 2.5k and I think it was in tier 6 match up. To get those really good games, you need to spam rapid peek-a-boo style firing, some snipings in a good spot if needed, and maybe some intense close quarter fights in the end. In 1 of my most memorable battles, I've won against a full HP crusader, full HP A-20, full HP M8A1 against me and a very low performing Matilda who basically was idling around on the other end of the map. And oh yes my HP was like 120, so the enemies were so ambitious and confident to kill me off soon. It was Himmelsdorf. I abused and abused my alpha, the angle of armor(works only against tier 4, but occasionally against tier 5s as well or even some poorly skilled tier 6 players too.), kept in mind the target priority, killed a weak tank and used the dead tank as shields, ran around and maintaining the combat to 1 vs 1 instead of 1 vs 3 as much as I can, dodged tons of shots from crusader by peek-a-booing, bounced off some A-20 shots, circled around and around an obstacle, to secure the victory. All that intense actions happened in a matter of a minute or so, and it all happened at a very short distance like under 80m at the longest, and my brain really kept working to figure out the best moves almost instantaneously. And at the end the crusader was so annoyed that he landed a series of swear words on me. LOVED IT. 

T-34 is one of the most underrated tanks in tier 5 that is actually very good.

EDIT: So, I took a quick look at TYPE T-34, and it's quite a different tank. First, it doesn't have the 76mm gun with 125mm pen. Bummer. But it does have 57mm gun with even better DPM than that of T-34. So I would think about it more like a Crusader, with maybe more mobility and less armor.

So you definitely don't want to be a frontliner or the brave man of the match or anything like that. You want to be the tiny little mosquito that bugs enemy by constantly coming out from behind the rocks every 3-4 seconds and do 80 damage.

But you also don't want to be the sniper that sits 500 miles away from the enemy and just keeps clicking and laughing at them, because the gun's accuracy and aim time is not good. Also, long range sniping works best with high alpha, not low alpha.

So the only, but very viable, option is the mid-range peek-a-boo.

Always go with a solid teammate. Not a laughable teammate, but a solid, intimidating teammate. And not one of them, but multiple of them. While enemy's focus is all on them, you find a good rock or building or ridgeline to hide and do the peek-a-boo insanity.

What's gonna happen is this: The enemy definitely knows where you are and what you are doing, but you are not significant enough of a threat, that it is not worth it to aim for 5 years on the rock or building that you're constantly coming out from, and so the best thing they can do is do a quick turret or hull turn towards you whenever you come out, and just fire quickly. And it will miss most of the time at a far enough distance. Or they could not even turn their guns towards you at all, because your ally is such a significant target like KV-2 or SU-100Y. In that case, just don't scoot, keep out, sit down relaxed, aim enough, keep clicking, and enjoy burning down their HP nibble by nibble.

Also, circling a turretless TD or tanks with slow turret/hull traverse is always a viable option. Find those juicy targets. Even better if isolated. If it happens that an enemy tank that is not spotted is doing a significant amount of damage on your team, then this becomes No.1 priority. Take a quick detour, sneak in, find that guy and finish him off with some A-level evasive maneuvers and circling around. It will effectively prevent him from carrying an almost lost game by sniping. A lot of good players carry epic games like that: by sniping the whole match and finishing the last couple of enemies in an intense close quarters combat at the end. If all these don't work out well, then the second best option is just sniping from far back but the result will be next to nothing most of the times.

Edited by YouTanker, 10 September 2019 - 06:49 AM.

ZIGZAGZ #10 Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:02 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 25131 battles
  • [KILLS]

View PostYouTanker, on 10 September 2019 - 01:12 PM, said:

I'm gonna tell you my experience in T-34. I don't know much about Type T-34 but it looks pretty much the same. 

Well.. Not exactly... Type T-34 (China) has only 5 degrees of gun depression, T-34 (Russia) has 8 degrees. That 3 degrees is HUGE and affects gameplay by a lot. Moreover, the Type T-34 has a much faster ROF of 3.3 seconds per shot. So it's once again, a tank that has to be much more aggressive or PROACTIVE to use a more appropriate term, than the conventional LT/MT. Other than that, there's nothing really wrong in what you said. 

P36C needs to play the tank more before he makes such a thread though..   He only has 17 battles in it...

Edited by ZIGZAGZ, 10 September 2019 - 06:02 AM.

W69487 #11 Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:13 AM

Private

• 966 battles
  • [SH4FT]

View PostP36C, on 04 August 2019 - 12:11 AM, said:

Hello!

So I was grinding through the Chinese line to get to the IS-2 which I've always wanted (I couldnt get the IS-2 Berlin if i had it I wouldnt bother) and I went through the Type T-34, and by god it was awful. So lets compare the Type T-34 to the Crusader, both in its top configuration. Well, the Crusader has better camo, better mobility, has better AP penetration, has more than double the gun depression of the T-34, and actually looks good (just my opinion). This tank is ridiculous!?!?!? I didnt even stop to get an ace for this I just played it until when I had enough XP then sold it ASAP. On the other hand, I really liked the Type 58 and I'm going to keep it. The IS-2 was ok as well though the gun sucks. But seriously, the Type T-34 is ridiculously powercreeped, powercreeped? No its just has its stats altered into something god awful. WG I think you really should do something about this. 5degrees of gun depression, and 112mm pen on its top gun!?!?!?!?[edited]

I think Type T-34 is not an easy tank to master, but it's also not exactly garbage.  It is a good tank to practice for the future higher tier.

As other people mentioned, it has good DPM and can perma-track bigger slower tank when you catch them off-guard or around the corner.  The gun pen is not the greatest, but it is consider good for a medium tank.  The gun is not designed to shoot heavy tank face on, and you should also avoid fighting heavy tanks face on at any tier.  This tank with the right equipment setup has good view range to spot and camo value is consider above average compared to similar tier tank type.

Agreed that the gun depression is poor, so fighting sloping hill battle is not optimal. But using hill as cover to come out side way at an angle will sometime yield surprising 'bounce' as the front hull of the tank is sloped.  So, use this tank's strength and not the weakness.  This tank doesn't have big alpha, peek-a-boo style against any tank with bigger alpha is a bad trade.

I'm still grinding XP on this tank (Type 58 XP unlocked and now grinding the TD XP), but I find the tank actually a lot of fun and can relocate to support fire in different location quickly.  Spot, relocate, support fire.  During all out brawl, you can be nimble enough to shoot on the move and create havoc, or you can stay nearby and use your DPM to its max advantage.

Good luck with your IS-2, and you look a good player with good stats but maybe you would consider slowing down your pace to the higher tier.

Diamond114 #12 Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:58 PM

Captain

• 16298 battles
  • [408]

Didn’t worked out well in my case. This is just my experience, but I felt that the Russian T-34 has slightly better gun handling especially on the move compared to Type T-34. Your mileage may vary

And as for me the usual gun depression complaint because I was quite used to Sherman’s by the time Red China came on the scene. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.

"Fight to fly, fly to fight, FIGHT TO WIN!" - U.S Navy Fighter Weapons School TOPGUN.

"Nothing is right in tactics. A good fighter pilot must be free to propose improvements to his tactics or he will get himself killed." - Cmdr. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, USN.

"To be a good fighter pilot, there's only one prime requisite; Think Fast, and Act Faster" - John Trevor Godfrey, 336 Sqn RAF

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users