Sherman Sherman Firefly Tier VI 17pdr How to play Help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

P36C #1 Posted 07 July 2019 - 07:29 AM

Corporal

• 7312 battles
  • [GNG]

Hello fellow players!

I've played the Sherman Firefly every now and then during the last month and my performance was acceptable, about 52% WR and a few 1st classes but no masteries. Then, now that I've bought my Nashorn, got veeery good with it, and is almost on my way to Sturer Emil, I decided it was time to seriously grind through the Firefly to get the Challenger. That's when things started going wrong. I lost 3 games in a row on it, which has never happened before, so I reckoned my team must not have been good. So i took a break, came back and then lost another 2 games in it. So, I watched a "guide" on Youtube on the Firefly. Then I came back, to lose another 4 games, and I'm forced to admit I'm a complete noob in this tank. Being a historical tank fan, and the fact that I'm the kind of person that keeps on playing a tank until I'm satisfied with my performance, I just can't quit this tank. What I do understand is, it has only  6 degrees of gun depression (historically 5 degrees so we should be happy with 6), no armor, and insane penetration and DPM. I do understand it is not a front line tank, and is more of a mid-long range sniper, a turreted TD with medium tank characteristics. However, unlike the Nashorn which I've been playing which can sit at the back and farm dmg, then move out to finish the rest off, the Firefly, I don't think should do that. It has a turret, so it has more flexibility than the panzerjagers. But it doesn't have the armor of its peers or the mobility of LTs. And it has no gun depression, so fighting on hills is out of the question. People say you should let others take the hits for you while you finish the enemy, but its not easy getting into a situation like that. Someone is bound to set their eyes on you at some point. Anyone got advice on this tank? I'd be welcome to all sorts of opinions. Thanks in advance.

Edited by P36C, 07 July 2019 - 07:30 AM.

PANPAKAPAAAN2427 #2 Posted 07 July 2019 - 01:37 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 315 battles
  • [TDAF]
Just keep playing it like a TD it can do nothing but snipe tanks from mid range behind some cover. Only take hits if you know you can afford to lose them. I did this and racked up more then enough xp for the Challenger which is turning out to be a turd in my hands.   

"Okay, It's my turn to taste you now"- Prinz Eugen AL.  

Leader of the Tea drinkers and Anime fan clan.

Survived two years of Blitz.

TnkCmndrToo #3 Posted 08 July 2019 - 12:48 AM

First Lieutenant

• 5698 battles
  • [FOES]

Yeah I just hit 52% in it too - which isn't too bad considering I was running it somewhere in the 30s not too long ago (yes, that's with top modules!). Best advice I can give is to play like a vampire. Pan spells it out in his comment above:

View PostPANPAKAPAAAN2427, on 08 July 2019 - 01:37 AM, said:

Just keep playing it like a TD it can do nothing but snipe tanks from mid range behind some cover. Only take hits if you know you can afford to lose them. I did this and racked up more then enough xp for the Challenger which is turning out to be a turd in my hands.   

Also check out this Bushka guide on playing fragile tanks. Not on the Firefly specifically, but I think it applies to it quite well.

https://www.youtube....?v=wZhYR8yuH_U 

It's a delicate machine but I'm learning to enjoy it... slowly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users