Crusader: What have you done!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

PANPAKAPAAAN2427 #1 Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:09 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 583 battles
  • [TDAF]

Prinz's take on the Crusader: 

Before I start I want to know did WG nerf the hell out of this tank? Last time the Crusader could hold its ground in a tier VI game if you used some brains but now it just gets stomped on hard even in a top tier game against other tier V's the tank seems to have lost some penetration and damage hell it feels more sluggish so getting to top speed takes longer. 

Short history: The Crusader was the primary Cruiser tank during the early part of the war with over 5,000 tanks manufactured. Despite many problems the tank had it was successful at mobile hit an runs against Axis tanks causing a shift in German tactics to where they would bait the Crusader in to giving chase towards entrenched AT guns. Due to the this and the arrival of the Pz VI Tiger the tank would become obsolete being replaced with M3 Grants and the M4 Sherman. The Crusader tank would not see active service outside Africa. 

Armor:

Tier IV's would struggle at penning you from the front but do not count on it, prioritize any tier IV tanks capable of reliably penning you. 

Tier V: The Crusader is mediocre at best but the quick reload  and some smart play you can catch over confident players out I have killed countless Leopard seal clubbers this way. The tank can peek an boom and if you play to the tanks advantages you can 1v1 other tier V's.

Tier VI: Peek an boom or passive scouting with sniping. Whatever WG did to the Crusader it can't reliably fight tier VI's anymore without getting stomped on. Before I had the confidence in fighting against tier VI's as I made sure I selected a target I knew I can fight. 

Crusader stacked up against other tier V lights: 

Tactics:

Tactic no.1: In a tier IV/ V game be aggressive! And give your team some opportunities to shoot at the enemy by distracting them. Your high RoF will give you the first advantage. Or Peek and boom. 

Tactic no.2:  If you can adopt a play style I call The bandit. It's where you are always on the move seizing any exploits you see. For example if I come across a red I'll engage and once a few teammates arrive I disengage and go looking for other targets. I manage the slowness of the Crusader by always being on the move and only stopping if I know I can win other wise I engage, do damage once help arrive I go hunting. If you mix in some knowledge like tank reload times you can quickly abuse the RoF and whittle tanks HP down even against monsters like the KV-2. I used this style of play for 282 battles and maintained a 60% Win ratio. well it dropped to 59% as I took it out for a couple of games and was greeted with a former shell of a tank I use to love.

Equipment: 

Slot I Tier I: CS for extra pen as I feel the tank has lost some. Before the I ran with Gun Rammer (GR) to troll my enemies with an even quicker reload speed. 

Slot 2 Tier I: Improved modules to help with aggressive plays and my modules always get damaged.

Slot 3 Tier I: IO help with view range.

Slot I Tier 2: EGLD I rarely stop but I don't snipe in the Crusader.

Slot 2 Tier 2: IA for some extra HP in a tier V/ VI game I don't count on the Crusaders armor to hold.   

Slot 3 Tier 2: EA to help with the sluggishness of the Crusader. Not the fastest tier V lights. 

Slot 1 Tier 3: V-stabs to help with my shoot and move play style. 

Slot 2 Tier 3: ET want avoid getting tracked as much as possible. 

Slot 3 Tier 3: Toss up between the two really but depends on if you want to max all equipment or your play style. 

Consumables:

Provisions: 

Crew Skills: 

Over all the Crusader isn't where it was before I just feel like WG did something to the Crusader which is a shame because I think its an over looked tank down at low tiers. Not many people could pull off playing this tank and being rewarded with a underrated little monster was so good but now it seems to struggle but that might me me after all I haven't touched the Crusader in two years. I loved this tanks  pulled three Ace Mastery badges in this tank and now I feel robbed of a brilliant fun little tank. 

Edited by PANPAKAPAAAN2427, 22 June 2019 - 11:12 AM.

"Okay, It's my turn to taste you now"- Prinz Eugen AL.  

Leader of the Tea drinkers and Anime fan clan.

Survived two years of Blitz.

No_Life_boy #2 Posted 25 February 2019 - 02:20 AM

Corporal

• 25775 battles
  • [UFD-1]
Spot driveby and flank depending on where the enemy is, that is my tactic. it helps strategically as well, you can lead your team pretty well.

fjvhk #3 Posted 25 February 2019 - 02:40 AM

Sergeant

• 31722 battles
  • [ARMD]

That's quite a well written article, the answer is disappointingly short though : update 5.5

There are many lower tanks that have been made ineffective now since 5.5

__Grifter__ #4 Posted 25 February 2019 - 02:47 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 3158 battles
  • [BOOM2]
Thanks for another excellent review. its a shame that it seems to have been nerfed, or perhaps power creep has come in? Not played it in a while but I remember it being very good at its tier.

BossArdnutz #5 Posted 25 February 2019 - 02:54 AM

First Lieutenant

• 24423 battles
  • [DERPU]
It's odd that the stats don't seem to reflect what it's like to play it. DPM should let it burn down a leopard or ELC but in game I find the reverse is true...

erwin10001 #6 Posted 25 February 2019 - 04:25 AM

Captain

• 45841 battles
  • [NETS]

The Bromwell /Cromwell are close enough to the Crusader that you can just play them at tier 6 to enjoy the "crusader experience" (medium mobility, high dpm, good gun depression). Actually, I enjoy playing Bromwell much more than I enjoy playing the Crusader.

The Vk16.02 Leo nerf is a big loss because it had a unique playstyle  and gun and Vk28.01 is not exactly the same.

Edited by erwin10001, 25 February 2019 - 04:26 AM.

ZIGZAGZ #7 Posted 25 February 2019 - 12:10 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 29913 battles
  • [KILLS]

Most important rule of Crusader...

WIGGLE. The angular armor allows it to bounce 1 or 2 shots per battle, even if the rest of the armor is paper af.

Secondly, this tank's speed & acceleration is just... 42kmph top speed, with mediocre acceleration on such a small and light chassis..  Do not use it as an over-aggressive scout. Meaning, do not separate from your team by more than ~100m, because once u get rushed, you are fked. You are no true LT.

Your dpm will reward you with many kills, if you know how to aim and use your DPM to your advantage. If you have a tendency to be a chicken and always play slowly, and let your gun rest for too long, you should stay away from the Crusader.

No_Life_boy #8 Posted 27 February 2019 - 12:34 AM

Corporal

• 25775 battles
  • [UFD-1]

View Posterwin10001, on 25 February 2019 - 04:25 AM, said:

The Bromwell /Cromwell are close enough to the Crusader that you can just play them at tier 6 to enjoy the "crusader experience" (medium mobility, high dpm, good gun depression). Actually, I enjoy playing Bromwell much more than I enjoy playing the Crusader.

The Vk16.02 Leo nerf is a big loss because it had a unique playstyle  and gun and Vk28.01 is not exactly the same.

Although theVK16.02 has been nerfed, it is still not as bad as you think it is because it still does quite alot of damage towards the enemy and still has good penetration. the meta for that tank is still basically the same. however, it seems like alot of people fail to see the new meta of low tiers and therefore results in bad gameplay.

No_Life_boy #9 Posted 27 February 2019 - 12:35 AM

Corporal

• 25775 battles
  • [UFD-1]

View PostZIGZAGZ, on 25 February 2019 - 12:10 PM, said:

Most important rule of Crusader...

WIGGLE. The angular armor allows it to bounce 1 or 2 shots per battle, even if the rest of the armor is paper af.

Secondly, this tank's speed & acceleration is just... 42kmph top speed, with mediocre acceleration on such a small and light chassis..  Do not use it as an over-aggressive scout. Meaning, do not separate from your team by more than ~100m, because once u get rushed, you are fked. You are no true LT.

Your dpm will reward you with many kills, if you know how to aim and use your DPM to your advantage. If you have a tendency to be a chicken and always play slowly, and let your gun rest for too long, you should stay away from the Crusader.

yes I do agree with what you say. the Crusader is not even that fast in the first place so It will be stick with or die with. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users