Blitzstars

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

erwin10001 #21 Posted 03 February 2019 - 01:16 AM

First Lieutenant

• 39752 battles
  • [SEALZ]

View PostBossArdnutz, on 03 February 2019 - 01:03 AM, said:

Dad was a structural engineer (now retired) and I used to go into his work and play a game (something like asteroids if I remember rightly) on the mainframe. He used to let me use the CAD program and the big A1 pen plotter to print out drawings too. Used to love watching the pens zip across the paper in the plotter as it wound back and forth, like magic.

Our first proper PC was the original PC - an IBM that had no hard drive at all. Used to boot MSDOS from 5 1/4" floppy disks. Bricks and Tetris were a revelation. Later there was the PC AT which had a hard drive! I remember feeling airsick the first time I saw MS Flight SIM which would been on the AT or maybe the XT that came after it. 

Apple ][ users must have had it better game-wise, with Castle Wolfenstein, Zaxxon, Choplifter, Loderunner etc .... 

BossArdnutz #22 Posted 03 February 2019 - 02:21 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 12500 battles
  • [DERPU]

I think Apple came later. There were also things like C64s (always wanted one, never got one) Amiga etc but they all came later. We had one of the very early apples in one of my later primary school classrooms I think, maybe year 5 or 6? At high school there was a room full of Microbees and in senior high school they were replaced with something like an 80286 or even 80386 clone.

I remember Wolfenstein on one of the early 80x86 series PCs. Great fun. 

Edited by BossArdnutz, 03 February 2019 - 02:22 AM.

TankKilla2 #23 Posted 03 February 2019 - 02:23 AM

First Lieutenant

• 6360 battles
  • [BTC2]

View Posterwin10001, on 03 February 2019 - 11:16 AM, said:

Apple ][ users must have had it better game-wise, with Castle Wolfenstein, Zaxxon, Choplifter, Loderunner etc .... 

Apple users had it way better, along with other systems like Amiga, Sinclair, etc., until M$ ditched DOS and introduced it's Windows OS, a crude copy of the Mac OS.

Veni, Vidi, Lusi

BossArdnutz #24 Posted 03 February 2019 - 02:30 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 12500 battles
  • [DERPU]
Even then, Windows was a horrible mess until at least 3.1! I think it want really an OS at all until maybe Windows 95? Before that it was just a UI program running on top of MSDOS.

We always had MS-based systems because dad was writing & debugging very high-level structural analysis programs that would spend a whole day & night iterating calculations on each run, so it was all about raw CPU power where Apple were focused on user experience.

Edited by BossArdnutz, 03 February 2019 - 02:30 AM.

TankKilla2 #25 Posted 03 February 2019 - 02:31 AM

First Lieutenant

• 6360 battles
  • [BTC2]

View PostBossArdnutz, on 03 February 2019 - 11:03 AM, said:

Dad was a structural engineer (now retired) and I used to go into his work and play a game (something like asteroids if I remember rightly) on the mainframe. He used to let me use the CAD program and the big A1 pen plotter to print out drawings too. Used to love watching the pens zip across the paper in the plotter as it wound back and forth, like magic.

Our first proper PC was the original PC - an IBM that had no hard drive at all. Used to boot MSDOS from 5 1/4" floppy disks. Bricks and Tetris were a revelation. Later there was the PC AT which had a hard drive! I remember feeling airsick the first time I saw MS Flight SIM which would been on the AT or maybe the XT that came after it. 

My first home computer was the original Apple Macintosh with 126kb of RAM. it used 3.5" floppies for the OS and programmes in it's single floppy drive, and the amount of disk swapping to do anything was enuff to turn the most patient person into a raving lunatic!

Veni, Vidi, Lusi

TankKilla2 #26 Posted 03 February 2019 - 02:59 AM

First Lieutenant

• 6360 battles
  • [BTC2]

View PostBossArdnutz, on 03 February 2019 - 12:30 PM, said:

Even then, Windows was a horrible mess until at least 3.1! I think it want really an OS at all until maybe Windows 95? Before that it was just a UI program running on top of MSDOS.

yes, that's correct

We always had MS-based systems because dad was writing & debugging very high-level structural analysis programs that would spend a whole day & night iterating calculations on each run, so it was all about raw CPU power where Apple were focused on user experience.

Veni, Vidi, Lusi

__Grifter__ #27 Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:54 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 3158 battles
  • [BOOM2]

View PostBossArdnutz, on 03 February 2019 - 01:03 AM, said:

Wow, are you my brother?

Sounds very similar to me. My dad was also involved in IT in its humble beginnings. Worked for IBM in his early years, got in at the perfect time and is now proper loaded lol. He also used to bring me to work with these huge mainframes and I would sit there playing basic games just like you described while he worked.

It also meant that I have essentially always had a computer/console since I was born. Some of you younger guys need to Google some of the computers I am about to mention.

Lets see, we had the Atari console with the weird twisting controllers.

Amstrad 464 CPC

BBC Micro

ZX Spectrum (it had rubber keys lol)

Commodore 64

Atari ST

Amiga 500

Amiga 1200

Then an early DOS-based PC much like you described.

Those above ensured that I was a gamer long before i was even 10 years old and thus they were followed with:

Numerous PCs/laptops

Sega Master System 

Sega Megadrive

Nintendo 

Nintendo 64

Playstation 1, 2, 3, 4

Never owned an Xbox.

We not only remember floppy disks, we actually remember the floppy disks that were actually floppy lol

Edited by __Grifter__, 07 February 2019 - 07:59 AM.

BossArdnutz #28 Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:57 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 12500 battles
  • [DERPU]
Lol gaming brothers certainly. Though I never had anything like the list of systems you've got there!

anonym_raatTVkdSCjH #29 Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:02 AM

First Lieutenant

• 0 battles
I was a firefighter in the Navy so I can put computers out if they catch fire.  :)

IGNORE_MY_WINRATE #30 Posted 11 February 2019 - 04:41 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 12983 battles
  • [SUB40]
i cop even more angry outbursts from players in-game. I have a 52% WR over the last 30 days but my stats show a 45% overall WR. Now i regret choosing quantity over quality for my first 7k games ( I spent this time on 38% WR).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users