Ferdinand, the worst tier 8 tank destroyer

worst tier 8

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think ferdinand is bad? (11 members have cast votes)

Do you think ferdinand is bad?

1. Yes (2 votes [18.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

2. No (9 votes [81.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 81.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

IDONTCARE_2 #1 Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:15 AM

Corporal

• 23768 battles
  • [SEALZ]

Ferdinand, a quite well-known tank destroyer for Germany in WW2. Looking at it in this game, I find little advantage of it to other tier 8 tank destroyers

When comparing to Jagdpanther 2, ferdinand has only 3 things going for it: -8 gun depression compare to JP2's -7, +15/-15 degrees of gun arc compare to JP2's +10/-10 and 200mm FLAT hull armor compare to JP2's 100mm SLOPED armor. Everything else is identical or worse. Rate of fire is slower. Aim time is slower. Mobility (Speed, acceleration and traverse) is worse by a large margin. Ferdinand is also supposed to have stronger armor, but in fact, the JP2 superstructure is 250mm thick when not angled and 300mm thick when angled and using gun depression, while ferdinand superstrcture is 210mm thick when not angled and only 225mm thick when angled and using gun depression. Moreover, JP2 hull armor is sloped and easier to get ricochet while ferdinand's hull armor needs an extreme angle for ricochet. Not to mention that the 200mm hull armor is completely neglected by a paper lower plate and non-existent side armor.

When comparing to Jagdtiger 105, ferdinand only wins in penetration, alpha, gun depression, gun arc and acceleration due to better HP/T. Even though jagdtiger 105 has higher top speed and traverse than ferdinand! And jagdtiger 105 has much better armor.

When comparing to AT15, ferdinand has better pen, alpha and speed, while AT15 has superior DPM, gun handling, gun depression, gun arc and armor.

I can only think of 1 tank as bad as ferdinand (at least slightly better) is the T28 as T28 has horrible gun depression, gun arc and mobility. However it has higher dpm albeit lower alpha and armor that can bounce high tier or same tier AP when angled. Ferdinand's flat 200mm armor is just a joke when compare to T28's 250mm slightly sloped armor, even though they are both supposed to be 'brawling' TDs.

TLDR: When wanting the reliable German 128, JP2 is all you need, sacrificing minor gun arc and depression for much better mobility and very strong superstructure along with the same gun. When wanting a braling TD that makes enemies think twice about being detracked, AT15 is your choice. When wanting a TD that just suffer in most things to get the best armor, Jagdtiger 105 or T28 are the way to go. #FerdinandDead

Edited by IDONTCARE_2, 31 January 2019 - 11:32 AM.

Tanks that are my babes: WT auf Pz4 (OP/ridiculously strong and I love it), E50M, T-54, E50, Obj268, Hellcat, Bromwell, KV2, ISU152, LTTB, T54 LWT, JP2, IS7

Tanks that I hate: KV4, Tanks driven by bots or poor players (especially below tier 5), 

Tanks that I am trying to ACE: KV4, Y5 ELC

Noobieman #2 Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:59 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 29404 battles
  • [AVSW]
agree but it is fun to ram players with a big Ferdinand or just hide your lower front behind a small rock

ankitgusai19 #3 Posted 31 January 2019 - 01:25 PM

First Lieutenant

• 50492 battles
  • [SMRT]

View PostIDONTCARE_2, on 31 January 2019 - 04:45 PM, said:

Ferdinand, a quite well-known tank destroyer for Germany in WW2. Looking at it in this game, I find little advantage of it to other tier 8 tank destroyers

When comparing to Jagdpanther 2, ferdinand has only 3 things going for it: -8 gun depression compare to JP2's -7, +15/-15 degrees of gun arc compare to JP2's +10/-10 and 200mm FLAT hull armor compare to JP2's 100mm SLOPED armor. Everything else is identical or worse. Rate of fire is slower. Aim time is slower. Mobility (Speed, acceleration and traverse) is worse by a large margin. Ferdinand is also supposed to have stronger armor, but in fact, the JP2 superstructure is 250mm thick when not angled and 300mm thick when angled and using gun depression, while ferdinand superstrcture is 210mm thick when not angled and only 225mm thick when angled and using gun depression. Moreover, JP2 hull armor is sloped and easier to get ricochet while ferdinand's hull armor needs an extreme angle for ricochet. Not to mention that the 200mm hull armor is completely neglected by a paper lower plate and non-existent side armor.

When comparing to Jagdtiger 105, ferdinand only wins in penetration, alpha, gun depression, gun arc and acceleration due to better HP/T. Even though jagdtiger 105 has higher top speed and traverse than ferdinand! And jagdtiger 105 has much better armor.

When comparing to AT15, ferdinand has better pen, alpha and speed, while AT15 has superior DPM, gun handling, gun depression, gun arc and armor.

I can only think of 1 tank as bad as ferdinand (at least slightly better) is the T28 as T28 has horrible gun depression, gun arc and mobility. However it has higher dpm albeit lower alpha and armor that can bounce high tier or same tier AP when angled. Ferdinand's flat 200mm armor is just a joke when compare to T28's 250mm slightly sloped armor, even though they are both supposed to be 'brawling' TDs.

TLDR: When wanting the reliable German 128, JP2 is all you need, sacrificing minor gun arc and depression for much better mobility and very strong superstructure along with the same gun. When wanting a braling TD that makes enemies think twice about being detracked, AT15 is your choice. When wanting a TD that just suffer in most things to get the best armor, Jagdtiger 105 or T28 are the way to go. #FerdinandDead

Wasn't the ferdinand buffed a patch ago or two? Or was is nerfed again like tiger 1 and tiger p? 

IGNORE_MY_WINRATE #4 Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:13 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 15251 battles
  • [SUB40]
It really sucks as a stock grind but I reckon the fully-buffed and maxed-out ferdi is alright

TnkCmndrToo #5 Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:06 AM

First Lieutenant

• 5735 battles
  • [FOES]

The Ferdinand is often labelled as a failure in real life too, although not because it was a bad tank - it was simply not suited to Germany's needs at the time.

Personally I don't think it's that bad, players that know what they're doing have given me a pretty tough time in it. Seems to bee a pretty good second-line support tank, but I think I'd rather drive a JPanther II.

jzmalexander #6 Posted 01 February 2019 - 10:11 AM

Sergeant

• 15671 battles
  • [JD]
That vote failed... Everyone thinks it's not a bed tank.

IDONTCARE_2 #7 Posted 02 February 2019 - 03:33 PM

Corporal

• 23768 battles
  • [SEALZ]
Just stating the facts here: ferdinand has the lowest WR out of any tech tree tier 8 TD. You just cannot use it to carry. Also I already sold the tank, would rather take the JP2 out for a spin to win than relying on teams to win just because ferdinand is bad

Tanks that are my babes: WT auf Pz4 (OP/ridiculously strong and I love it), E50M, T-54, E50, Obj268, Hellcat, Bromwell, KV2, ISU152, LTTB, T54 LWT, JP2, IS7

Tanks that I hate: KV4, Tanks driven by bots or poor players (especially below tier 5), 

_MR_TICKLES_ #8 Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:38 AM

Corporal

• 23341 battles
  • [UFD-1]

View PostIDONTCARE_2, on 31 January 2019 - 11:15 AM, said:

I agree with most of what you said. you cannot play aggressively in this Tank destroyer in tier 8 to 9 matches because of the huge cheeks on the Ferdinand.as long as you stay behind the heavy line, not the mediums because you can't keep up with them, you will be fine as you will have no trouble penetrating enemy armor.

IDONTCARE_2 #9 Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:41 PM

Corporal

• 23768 battles
  • [SEALZ]

View PostxX_lubeup_Xx, on 04 February 2019 - 10:38 AM, said:

I agree with most of what you said. you cannot play aggressively in this Tank destroyer in tier 8 to 9 matches because of the huge cheeks on the Ferdinand.as long as you stay behind the heavy line, not the mediums because you can't keep up with them, you will be fine as you will have no trouble penetrating enemy armor.

Well I played for 20 games, got the ace and sold it. Second line support is best for this (insert a word you don't like). At least the gun can kill people without much of a problem. But I don't find interest in ferdinand  after using JP2

Lord_Melchett #10 Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:51 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 34619 battles
  • [1914]
Ferdinand is clearly not as good as the JPII, but it is hardly bad.  For example, it's much better than the T28 or the T28 Proto ...

__GetFunked__ #11 Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:06 AM

Sergeant

• 6715 battles
  • [GNG]

View PostIDONTCARE_2, on 02 February 2019 - 03:33 PM, said:

Just stating the facts here: ferdinand has the lowest WR out of any tech tree tier 8 TD. You just cannot use it to carry. Also I already sold the tank, would rather take the JP2 out for a spin to win than relying on teams to win just because ferdinand is bad

The number of TDs that you can carry in is very few anyway. Almost all of them are team dependent, some more than others. 

Also tagged with worst, tier 8

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users