What type of tank is good for a new player?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

pirate_Nami #1 Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:00 AM

Private

• 789 battles
Hello I just started this game and have been sort of enjoying it so far.. I still have a lot to learn and am at a point where I don't know what tank to play. Should I play a light tank, medium or TD? Or maybe a Heavy tank? I am currently playing the German line and playing the Pz III. Sorry if my question is noobish! Any 'noob friendly' tanks in the higher tiers? Thank you!

TnkCmndrToo #2 Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:46 AM

First Lieutenant

• 6066 battles

View Postpirate_Nami, on 14 December 2018 - 07:00 PM, said:

Hello I just started this game and have been sort of enjoying it so far.. I still have a lot to learn and am at a point where I don't know what tank to play. Should I play a light tank, medium or TD? Or maybe a Heavy tank? I am currently playing the German line and playing the Pz III. Sorry if my question is noobish! Any 'noob friendly' tanks in the higher tiers? Thank you!

I recommend one of the Russian lines; the IS-7 line is probably the most noob-friendly. Avoid TDs until you know what you're doing as they're difficult to play properly. Also, if you've just started, check out 'Bushka On Blitz' on YouTube - it'll help your gameplay a lot!

2OLD2CARE #3 Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:48 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 154397 battles
  • [FOTB]
If you can find a shell proof tank - they are the best

__Grifter__ #4 Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:58 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 3158 battles
  • [BOOM2]

View Postpirate_Nami, on 14 December 2018 - 07:00 AM, said:

German tank lines are good but not the most noob-friendly - that would be the Russian lines, particularly the IS4/IS7 lines as TnkCommander suggested above. 

TnkCmndrToo #5 Posted 14 December 2018 - 09:00 AM

First Lieutenant

• 6066 battles

View Post2OLD2CARE, on 14 December 2018 - 08:48 PM, said:

Lol. I've been looking for one of those for far too long.

Edited by TnkCmndrToo, 14 December 2018 - 09:00 AM.

Diamond114 #6 Posted 14 December 2018 - 09:18 AM

Captain

• 16622 battles
  • [408]

Play Russian if you don't mind getting up close and personal and don't mind bad gun depression

If you like jack of all trades and do mind about gun depression, go American.

The rest requires paying attention to what the line's specialty is as well as understanding the game mechanics.

"Fight to fly, fly to fight, FIGHT TO WIN!" - U.S Navy Fighter Weapons School TOPGUN.

"Nothing is right in tactics. A good fighter pilot must be free to propose improvements to his tactics or he will get himself killed." - Cmdr. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, USN.

"To be a good fighter pilot, there's only one prime requisite; Think Fast, and Act Faster" - John Trevor Godfrey, 336 Sqn RAF

pirate_Nami #7 Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:29 AM

Private

• 789 battles

Oh hmm, looks like I have to give the Russian line a go! XD 

I hope I can level fast enough for the Christmas event! 

__Grifter__ #8 Posted 14 December 2018 - 11:04 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 3158 battles
  • [BOOM2]

View Postpirate_Nami, on 14 December 2018 - 10:29 AM, said:

Oh hmm, looks like I have to give the Russian line a go! XD 

I hope I can level fast enough for the Christmas event! 

Its a Russian game, so as you might expect, there is quite a bit of Russian-bias. i would still recommend playing the line you're currently on as well if you are thinking of the event, as the more tier 5+ tanks the better. 

ShakeelMdMd #9 Posted 14 December 2018 - 01:11 PM

Corporal

• 3508 battles
  • [HERD]

View Post2OLD2CARE, on 14 December 2018 - 08:48 AM, said:

you mean the tier4 B1 ? I hate it when my KV1 shells bounce off that turtle

TankKilla2 #10 Posted 15 December 2018 - 01:44 AM

Captain

• 9114 battles
  • [BIA3]

View Postpirate_Nami, on 14 December 2018 - 05:00 PM, said:

I'd say avoid light tanks. whilst they may be fast, they are easy to kill. mediums are the 'all rounders' with a combination of speed, armour and firepower, so probably the best choice for learning how to play. heavies have good armour and firepower but are slow moving and unweildly, so you need to avoid sticky situations, so probably not the best to learn in.

When I'm the best player on the team it aint my fault if we lose!

Diamond114 #11 Posted 15 December 2018 - 03:15 AM

Captain

• 16622 battles
  • [408]

View PostDestroyer3462, on 15 December 2018 - 10:44 AM, said:

I'd say avoid light tanks. whilst they may be fast, they are easy to kill. mediums are the 'all rounders' with a combination of speed, armour and firepower, so probably the best choice for learning how to play. heavies have good armour and firepower but are slow moving and unweildly, so you need to avoid sticky situations, so probably not the best to learn in.

Light tanks are a bit more specialized. They work better for those guys that can avoid taking in unnecessary damage and guys that understands how to spot tanks in Blitz, again, sensibly. They can work also as fast flankers, quickly taking the red team`s flank or rear and putting them under opposing crossfire.

Medium tanks are jack of all trades, works best as skirmisher and flankers for those with good mobility. Additionally they`re also for supporting heavy tanks and tank destroyers and protecting their flanks and rear from enemy meds or lights, which goes back to the skirimishing role I mentioned.

Heavy tanks are the sword and shield of the team. They`re supposed to be played on the frontline either soaking bounces for teammates that can`t bounce or push together with mediums and provide additional fire support.

Tank destroyers are a funny bunch, because they can have a variety of playstyle depending on their guns, armor, and mobility. They generally serve as force multiplier in the absence of artillery with their firepower and camo rating being some of the best among other classes, but generally paid for it with the inability to use a turret. Good TD players know how to keep their flanks and rear clear and how to think without a turret.

You can have the slow turtle of the T28, T28 Prototype, or the T95 which have good, heavy hitting alpha guns, thick frontal armor, but lousy top speed; or TDs like the AT series up until the AT15 with rapid firing, low alpha guns and thick armor and lousy top speed.

Second types are TDs that can excel in the frontal assault role, i.e Foch line from the Tier VI up, Ferdinand, Jagdtiger and Tortoise. SU-152/ ISU-152 doesn`t have as good of an armor as the aforementioned examples, but made up for it with massive firepower of their 152mm guns.

Third types are TDs with decent to heavy hitting guns, decent mobility, and some stealthy AF; S35 CA, T25 AT, Nashorn line barring the Rhm Borsig onward, SU-100 line and the SU100M1 line barring the SU-152/ ISU-152.

And lastly, TDs with turrets/ turreted TDs. These have the advantage in camo because they don`t have to move their hull around, have mostly decent guns and can be played as a lower performing medium tank in a pinch, however they are mostly US specialty with the Jackson line up until the Jackson itself and Hellcat line up to T25/2, and while the Rhm Borsig line onward can be argued to fit this category as well, IMO they play closer to traditional TD playstyle due to their heavy hitting guns and stealthiness. Hellcats due to their lack of armor generally excels in hit-and-run role.

"Fight to fly, fly to fight, FIGHT TO WIN!" - U.S Navy Fighter Weapons School TOPGUN.

"Nothing is right in tactics. A good fighter pilot must be free to propose improvements to his tactics or he will get himself killed." - Cmdr. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, USN.

"To be a good fighter pilot, there's only one prime requisite; Think Fast, and Act Faster" - John Trevor Godfrey, 336 Sqn RAF

Dangerous_when_Sober #12 Posted 17 December 2018 - 08:34 AM

Captain

• 67546 battles
  • [KR0N0]

View Postpirate_Nami, on 14 December 2018 - 07:00 AM, said:

Learn in KV1. If you get that to 50% win rate with more than 100 games, try T34. Then M4.

Dont gov past tier V until you hit 5000 battles.

TnkCmndrToo #13 Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:00 AM

First Lieutenant

• 6066 battles

View PostNeb10k, on 17 December 2018 - 08:34 PM, said:

Learn in KV1. If you get that to 50% win rate with more than 100 games, try T34. Then M4.

Dont gov past tier V until you hit 5000 battles.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. 5000?! That is a lot, don't you think? I'm only going to break 5000 after about two years of playing!

anonym_raatTVkdSCjH #14 Posted 26 December 2018 - 07:07 AM

First Lieutenant

• 0 battles
No you should hit 5k pretty easily if you play regularly. 6-12 months I think. Closer to 6 months if I play at my current rate.
You can learn so much at tier V plus to win a lot you need to carry a lot and to carry a lot you have to get good as they say :)

Edited by Turbo_Munky, 26 December 2018 - 07:09 AM.

TnkCmndrToo #15 Posted 26 December 2018 - 08:24 PM

First Lieutenant

• 6066 battles

View PostTurbo_Munky, on 26 December 2018 - 07:07 PM, said:

No you should hit 5k pretty easily if you play regularly. 6-12 months I think. Closer to 6 months if I play at my current rate.
You can learn so much at tier V plus to win a lot you need to carry a lot and to carry a lot you have to get good as they say :)

True. But I still feel 5000 is too much to wait before moving past tier 5... if your WR is decent enough then there's no harm in moving on up at 1.5-2k imo. If you can't play that well, though, I think your point is quite valid. Higher tiers aren't good places to learn basic gameplay.

Edited by TnkCmndrToo, 26 December 2018 - 08:26 PM.

anonym_raatTVkdSCjH #16 Posted 30 December 2018 - 08:59 PM

First Lieutenant

• 0 battles
The abuse sounds like it goes up with each tier and I am really not someone who likes being abused by keyboard warriors so that is why even though I could move up now I am not really thrilled at the idea of it.

TankKilla2 #17 Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:53 PM

Captain

• 9114 battles
  • [BIA3]

View PostTnkCmndrToo, on 27 December 2018 - 06:24 AM, said:

True. But I still feel 5000 is too much to wait before moving past tier 5... if your WR is decent enough then there's no harm in moving on up at 1.5-2k imo. If you can't play that well, though, I think your point is quite valid. Higher tiers aren't good places to learn basic gameplay.

There isn't consistency in difficulty with the tiers tho. I have now played up to tier 8, and have had easier games in tiers 7 and 8 than in tier 5. especially in this event tier 5 has been more difficult than tiers 6 and 7 for some reason.

TankKilla2 #18 Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:55 PM

Captain

• 9114 battles
  • [BIA3]

View PostRAAC_M1A1, on 31 December 2018 - 06:59 AM, said:

The abuse sounds like it goes up with each tier and I am really not someone who likes being abused by keyboard warriors so that is why even though I could move up now I am not really thrilled at the idea of it.

probably because tier 9 and 10 players have so much knowledge and skill they forget others players don't have the same level, and also because they get frustrated because they don't

__Grifter__ #19 Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:00 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 3158 battles
  • [BOOM2]

View PostDestroyer3462, on 30 December 2018 - 10:53 PM, said:

There isn't consistency in difficulty with the tiers tho. I have now played up to tier 8, and have had easier games in tiers 7 and 8 than in tier 5. especially in this event tier 5 has been more difficult than tiers 6 and 7 for some reason.

Because a lot of the more experienced players are trying to win in all their tanks from tier 5 up on each reset for the event.

__Grifter__ #20 Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:08 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 3158 battles
  • [BOOM2]

View PostDestroyer3462, on 30 December 2018 - 10:55 PM, said:

probably because tier 9 and 10 players have so much knowledge and skill they forget others players don't have the same level, and also because they get frustrated because they don't

But you do have to try and understand their frustration. The base skill level of this game is at the lowest it has been and I have been here since 2014. Its not the fault of the new players of course but since so many good players have left in disgust at a number of updates - the quality of play at the higher tiers has deteriorated/saturated rapidly with so many under-developed players now filling up the places. It is a combination of fewer players playing and the ratio of good/poor players not being heavily out of sync.

You would always have the odd new player in you team and this was expected in the past but now you can have full teams of sub-50% players with battle counts not even at 2k games. You have guys turning their turrets at the beginning not knowing where to go and you instantly know you're going to lose - then you hear things in chat like "not familiar with this map" and your heart sinks further. Lose game, another 50k creds down the drain.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users