Please help me learn to Comet!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

BossArdnutz #1 Posted 27 November 2018 - 12:07 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 16871 battles
  • [DERPU]

I'm really struggling with the Comet, my 30-day WR is currently about 55% (driving mostly Soviet T6 & 7 heavies & TDs) but with the Comet I can only manage WR of 33% - this is down in AFK territory! I know it's not the tank - it's a very good tank - it's definitely the way I'm playing it. Here are some replays on WOT Inspector, can anyone offer suggestions on how to improve my Comet play so I am useful to my team?

Game 1, Lost Temple Supremacy, loss. 1,169 HP damage inflicted.

Game 2, Mayan Ruins, loss. 1,108 HP damage inflicted.

Game 3, Vineyards, loss. 847 HP damage inflicted. I think in this one I needed to move out with the green T-43 to support his attack, but I was a bit fixated on the red T-43 and didn't realise my teammate had moved.

Game 4, Yamato Harbour, win. 1,224 HP damage inflicted. Early on in this I managed to find a decent ridge to hide behind (though I was a bit sad the Chi-Ri still managed to pen my turret) and later I think I did a reasonable job supporting the attack on the enemy heavies & TD. The AMX CDC and le Kpz 41 M did a great job flanking the enemy mediums, without them I think I would have died pretty quickly.

Any advice would be welcome (obviously 'delete the game', while welcome, isn't actually helpful). I would like to be able to drive this tank and not be a liability for my green team...

TnkCmndrToo #2 Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:32 AM

First Lieutenant

• 5735 battles
  • [FOES]

View PostBossArdnutz, on 27 November 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

I'm really struggling with the Comet, my 30-day WR is currently about 55% (driving mostly Soviet T6 & 7 heavies & TDs) but with the Comet I can only manage WR of 33% - this is down in AFK territory! I know it's not the tank - it's a very good tank - it's definitely the way I'm playing it. Here are some replays on WOT Inspector, can anyone offer suggestions on how to improve my Comet play so I am useful to my team?

Game 1, Lost Temple Supremacy, loss. 1,169 HP damage inflicted.

Game 2, Mayan Ruins, loss. 1,108 HP damage inflicted.

Game 3, Vineyards, loss. 847 HP damage inflicted. I think in this one I needed to move out with the green T-43 to support his attack, but I was a bit fixated on the red T-43 and didn't realise my teammate had moved.

Game 4, Yamato Harbour, win. 1,224 HP damage inflicted. Early on in this I managed to find a decent ridge to hide behind (though I was a bit sad the Chi-Ri still managed to pen my turret) and later I think I did a reasonable job supporting the attack on the enemy heavies & TD. The AMX CDC and le Kpz 41 M did a great job flanking the enemy mediums, without them I think I would have died pretty quickly.

Any advice would be welcome (obviously 'delete the game', while welcome, isn't actually helpful). I would like to be able to drive this tank and not be a liability for my green team...

Well you seem to be an OK player, and seem to know the tactics to use. Maybe the Comet just doesn't work for you, in which case - don't sweat it too much! Not every tank works for every tanker :) You're used to driving HTs and TDs, and this tank needs a very different playstyle. I'm better than my stats might suggest in the Comet, since I played it in my noob days too. I'll link you some helpful videos at the bottom. 

Here are some tips from me:

1. You have almost no armour. Be VERY careful around the Russki TDs, Borsigs, etc. (even KV-2s). However, you have a troll gun mantlet (see no. 3)

2. Your rate of fire is great. You can get it up to about 17 rpm, so you'll need to spend time on target to get your shot off. How, you ask? Well, that brings us to tip 3...

3. Use the STELLAR 12 degrees of gun depression to manufacture shots. Find a hill and park your arse behind it; poke your turret over the top. Your gun mantlet is troll and will bounce shots (don't be surprised if you see 122 mm shells bouncing off it) but it is nowhere near as reliable as its older brother the Centurion Mk. 1, so don't put too much faith in it. It will be most effective at longer range. The areas around the mantlet (especially to its sides) are still very weak though, which is where you'll get penned. Wiggle, jiggle and pull back and forth to maximise your chances of a bounce. 

4. You have very low pen (148 mm), so pack 20-ish rounds of APCR, and no more than 5 HE at the max - you don't think you need that much prammo, but when you do, you'll thank me! Because of the pen, you should push with the meds, in a wolf pack if possible - ESPECIALLY when there are a lot of tier 8s. Find a place with a hill/ridge/dip that's not too close to the front line (perhaps off to the side a little, to get flank shots), and get rocking. Use your ridiculous DPM and watch the red meds get shredded. I see that you didn't push right in that Temple game. That was a mistake - and I know, because I've done that a lot. Tell those meds to push right, and sweep that flank.  Btw you can absolutely delete Strv. 74A2s in this tank. I know, because I've done that a lot too, what with the Black Friday sale and all :trollface:

5. In a worst-case scenario, drop Adrenaline and just burn the enemy down with DPM. Warning: only do this with isolated tanks. Your armour profile can't take hits from the sides.

6. If you find yourself surrounded, alone and isolated with no chance of survival, drop adrenaline and focus fire one tank as much as possible to go down swinging. For some reason, I find myself using this tip a lot. Hmmm.

Here are some videos I found very helpful:

Comet guides and gameplay

https://www.youtube....h?v=Y_fe_mDld9E

https://www.youtube....h?v=r5mbZPHqS10

http://forum.wotblit...e-to-the-comet/

Comet playstyle

Brawling tips:

https://www.youtube....fcTKsmVhoiONgox

https://www.youtube....oiONgox&index=2

https://www.youtube....oiONgox&index=3

https://www.youtube....h?v=tlmw_ev8fpc

https://www.youtube....I8cF8v80k&t=41s     (this one should allow you to use the Burn It Down strategy).

Using mobility:

https://www.youtube....h?v=G7v7cyBVRsw

Using gun depression:

https://www.youtube....h?v=CWXY3J_VwTs

https://www.youtube....h?v=KOjp3lXCINo

https://www.youtube....h?v=2g9f1-MIptM

Hope this helped you mate! God knows I wasted a lot of time on this :) but I couldn't bear seeing a suffering tanker who can't enjoy the Comet :D

Edited by TnkCmndrToo, 27 November 2018 - 02:05 AM.

BossArdnutz #3 Posted 27 November 2018 - 12:04 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 16871 battles
  • [DERPU]
Thanks TCT, I wouldn't say that was a waste of time, it was supremely helpful! I've watched about half the vids so far, some really good tips in there. Already had some use from the gun depression vids and will work on brawling as well.

See you on the battlefield!

BossArdnutz #4 Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:21 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 16871 battles
  • [DERPU]
Managed a pretty good result in vineyards following your advice. I'll post the replay tomorrow.

TnkCmndrToo #5 Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:19 PM

First Lieutenant

• 5735 battles
  • [FOES]

View PostBossArdnutz, on 28 November 2018 - 12:04 AM, said:

Thanks TCT, I wouldn't say that was a waste of time, it was supremely helpful! I've watched about half the vids so far, some really good tips in there. Already had some use from the gun depression vids and will work on brawling as well.

See you on the battlefield!

View PostBossArdnutz, on 28 November 2018 - 01:21 AM, said:

Managed a pretty good result in vineyards following your advice. I'll post the replay tomorrow.

Glad to hear that :)

BossArdnutz #6 Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:43 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 16871 battles
  • [DERPU]

Here's the promised replay:

https://wotinspector...11f2ec75e204606

Particularly happy with use of gun depression against the KV-2 and the brawl against the Hellcat (not that that is a particularly good tank to brawl against).

Edited by BossArdnutz, 29 November 2018 - 08:46 AM.

TnkCmndrToo #7 Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:57 PM

First Lieutenant

• 5735 battles
  • [FOES]
Lol gg... those red meds got sliced to bits! Good wolf-pack work on that flank, and as you said, great work against that KV-2. There wasn't a chance in hell he was going to hit you like that, especially with that derpy gun :D excellent work against the Hellcat too, good use of mobility. That tank is a dangerous opponent but you finished him off like a pro. Great to see so much improvement in your play style! Master this tank, and there are many medals coming your way :) 

__Grifter__ #8 Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:18 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 3158 battles
  • [BOOM2]

View PostBossArdnutz, on 29 November 2018 - 08:43 AM, said:

Here's the promised replay:

https://wotinspector...11f2ec75e204606

Particularly happy with use of gun depression against the KV-2 and the brawl against the Hellcat (not that that is a particularly good tank to brawl against).

GG that mate, like how you dealt with the Lttb which are always a handful with their speed and mobility and how you tracked that KV2 so that he was stuck long enough for you to land the final blow.

Essentially, MT's have a completely different style of play and I would hazard that it is more the struggle of adapting to that rather than just the Comet itself. This change of style is amplified at tier 6 as well with so many derpier guns and big HTs roaming around. One wrong move and you can be back in your garage in no time at all. At tier 5, MTs have it a bit easier but as soon as you go tier 6 and above you really have to understand the role of a MT more.

Second line support, wolfpacking other mts/lts, flanking when you can, finding different angles of engagement to keep their turrets moving from your own HTs and generally just being sneaky and using your mobility to your advantage is what a MT needs to be doing. Good map knowledge and awareness are hugely key as you need to know what is happening around you and the map so that you can use that mobility to get where you and your team needs you to be.

BossArdnutz #9 Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:58 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 16871 battles
  • [DERPU]
That's good advice _Grifter_ and I think you're dead right about adjusting to the MT role. Even at lower tiers I struggle with lighter tanks. For example, I decided to keep my Covenanter in 5.5 until I can get my win rate above 50%, and I tell you what, the seals in tier V have been clubbing me!

Heavies (and meds at lower tiers) are easier because you can make a mistake, take a hit and survive to reposition.

There's also a bit of alpha vs DPM playstyle adjustment. I usually play the big guns in the Soviet KV-1S to IS-3 line (currently grinding SU-100 to get the derp gun on that too). It's a lot easier to keep your gun running hot when that means only 4 rounds a minute, whereas doing good damage in a DPM tank seems to require being more or less continuously engaged. Not too bad in a Churchill III or VII, not so easy in a tank with cardboard armour!

__Grifter__ #10 Posted 01 December 2018 - 04:20 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 3158 battles
  • [BOOM2]

Well, there are just not many HTs in tier 4 and below really, so MTs rule the roost. The DW2 has been nerfed now and the Matilda has been reclassified as a HT but other than those and the submarine shaped B tanks, there is not too much to worry about. Even when you hit tier 5, yeah you get a few more suddenly coming in like the KV1, T1 Heavy, BDGR etc and they are all good tanks but there is nothing derpy there until you hit tier 6 with the KV2 and KViS - plus i feel Tier 6 is where players need to become more dynamic with their play other than just "stay together" and go the same way.

Yep you got it, easy to deal out damage when you have armor to help you out. Now you have to be smarter about your play. Always avoid being a lone if possible, use mobility as it is your strength over HTs and relocate when you can. Support your Hts in a second line role without trying to attract too much attention - let their armor take the hits while you sneak in shots.

Somebody gave me great advice once, he said wherever you move to, always have an escape plan figured out beforehand. You need to be able to bail if something does not work out and find somewhere else to engage from.

I actually think the MT roles is one of the hardest to learn alongside the LT probably. I found it hard because I always wanted to be frontline and in the thick of the action and it was difficult stopping myself. It is also more team dependent than a HT so you have to rely on and support others a lot more which can be very frustrating when your team sucks. Still, it is always possible to carry in a MT too, as there are some excellent ones out there.

TnkCmndrToo #11 Posted 01 December 2018 - 07:29 PM

First Lieutenant

• 5735 battles
  • [FOES]

View Post__Grifter__, on 01 December 2018 - 04:20 PM, said:

Well, there are just not many HTs in tier 4 and below really, so MTs rule the roost. The DW2 has been nerfed now and the Matilda has been reclassified as a HT but other than those and the submarine shaped B tanks, there is not too much to worry about. Even when you hit tier 5, yeah you get a few more suddenly coming in like the KV1, T1 Heavy, BDGR etc and they are all good tanks but there is nothing derpy there until you hit tier 6 with the KV2 and KViS - plus i feel Tier 6 is where players need to become more dynamic with their play other than just "stay together" and go the same way.

Yep you got it, easy to deal out damage when you have armor to help you out. Now you have to be smarter about your play. Always avoid being a lone if possible, use mobility as it is your strength over HTs and relocate when you can. Support your Hts in a second line role without trying to attract too much attention - let their armor take the hits while you sneak in shots.

Somebody gave me great advice once, he said wherever you move to, always have an escape plan figured out beforehand. You need to be able to bail if something does not work out and find somewhere else to engage from.

I actually think the MT roles is one of the hardest to learn alongside the LT probably. I found it hard because I always wanted to be frontline and in the thick of the action and it was difficult stopping myself. It is also more team dependent than a HT so you have to rely on and support others a lot more which can be very frustrating when your team sucks. Still, it is always possible to carry in a MT too, as there are some excellent ones out there.

Well said, sir! 

ZIGZAGZ #12 Posted 02 December 2018 - 01:28 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 25134 battles
  • [KILLS]

I would actually recommend the Tier 6 VK 28.01 or T-34-85 as a good starting point for people learning LT/MTs in a higher tier (>5). 

Reason being, they have good DPM, decent penetration, rather poor gun depression, high speeds, but most importantly for your learning's sake, they have an armor profile that bounces shots when they wiggle or angle themselves against the enemy.

If you can learn how to angle yourself or wiggle more effectively, your win rate in MTs might even climb past 50% soon! Half the battle is in trading damage. If you can out-damage that single tank in front of you, you have done more for your team than the enemy who died has, and anything else is just extra.

Don't go to tier 7 to master MT/LTs as there are TONS of premiums running around in tier 7/8.

I also see that you have a Scavenger. It's a good tank. Low profile, troll armor. Also a very good tank for you to train your angling & wiggling.

Edited by ZIGZAGZ, 02 December 2018 - 01:29 PM.

BossArdnutz #13 Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:06 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 16871 battles
  • [DERPU]

Apologies for the threadnomancy, but I wanted to post an update. Had been grinding other lines and playing the New Year event before that so hadn't really been back to the Comet for a while, but the last couple of days I've been trying to put all this advice into practice. Spent more time in MTs and LTs at lower tiers, T-43, LTTB, and had great fun running around in my new Cromwell B so thought I'd have a crack at something more challenging (if not quite as challenging as T-34-3 or Type 59).

Been doing OK in it - trying to start with spotting, pull back to snipe, then close in to support team engagements & clean up low-HP reds in the end game. Sometimes I manage it and sometimes not, been getting pretty good teams from MM so have been carried a bit but I think also maybe contributing more in terms of spots & key engagements to help the team win? Here's a few recent replays so you can see how well I've implemented the advice:

I get carried - bullied by an FCM 50t I couldn't scratch, bailed out by an ISU-152 (that said, I had checked the ISU was supporting the flank I went to, but in the heat of battle had forgotten about it until it saved me from the FCM). Rest of the team dealt with other enemies for 7-0 win, I guess my main contribution was spotting in this one and tying up the FCM for the ISU to kill off. https://replays.woti...138a3bad6d7013a

I hold up a pair of red MTs but forget to watch my map for flankers, get stomped on. At least I know what I did wrong. https://replays.woti...b84f0c511717fe1

A bit better - most of my damage came from the IS-3 who had gotten himself stuck, so not really contributing to team, but engagements with the AMX and Helsing were productive I think. https://replays.woti...8513d8bce21d686

A decent match, taken a bit by surprise when HTs decided to go castle instead of mill (I don't see that often). Love getting "report Comet" at the start, followed by doing 2nd highest damage :-D. That said I probably looked pretty silly trying to find a way up that ridge - my intention had been to get up the spawn ridge, use gun depression & DPM to support the HTs at mill, but since they didn't go that way I went to castle as well. https://replays.woti...8f4a1872dc5eb8c

Best one from the last couple of days. We were HT- and TD-heavy and they were MT- and LT-heavy. I wasn't keen on going castle alone but figured someone had to do it so the team would at least know if the enemy was up there. The TDs followed me which was a relief and I think if they hadn't knocked half the LTTB's health off I would not have won the 2v1 on top of the hill. With that location sorted it was on to sniping at the flanks of red tanks on the heavy route for a nice 7-1 result. https://replays.woti...0d85ae2de367919

Still struggle a lot with Black Goldsville and Himmelsdorf as maps.

TnkCmndrToo #14 Posted 04 February 2019 - 03:25 AM

First Lieutenant

• 5735 battles
  • [FOES]

View PostBossArdnutz, on 03 February 2019 - 09:06 PM, said:

Apologies for the threadnomancy, but I wanted to post an update. Had been grinding other lines and playing the New Year event before that so hadn't really been back to the Comet for a while, but the last couple of days I've been trying to put all this advice into practice. Spent more time in MTs and LTs at lower tiers, T-43, LTTB, and had great fun running around in my new Cromwell B so thought I'd have a crack at something more challenging (if not quite as challenging as T-34-3 or Type 59).

Been doing OK in it - trying to start with spotting, pull back to snipe, then close in to support team engagements & clean up low-HP reds in the end game. Sometimes I manage it and sometimes not, been getting pretty good teams from MM so have been carried a bit but I think also maybe contributing more in terms of spots & key engagements to help the team win? Here's a few recent replays so you can see how well I've implemented the advice:

I get carried - bullied by an FCM 50t I couldn't scratch, bailed out by an ISU-152 (that said, I had checked the ISU was supporting the flank I went to, but in the heat of battle had forgotten about it until it saved me from the FCM). Rest of the team dealt with other enemies for 7-0 win, I guess my main contribution was spotting in this one and tying up the FCM for the ISU to kill off. https://replays.woti...138a3bad6d7013a

I hold up a pair of red MTs but forget to watch my map for flankers, get stomped on. At least I know what I did wrong. https://replays.woti...b84f0c511717fe1

A bit better - most of my damage came from the IS-3 who had gotten himself stuck, so not really contributing to team, but engagements with the AMX and Helsing were productive I think. https://replays.woti...8513d8bce21d686

A decent match, taken a bit by surprise when HTs decided to go castle instead of mill (I don't see that often). Love getting "report Comet" at the start, followed by doing 2nd highest damage :-D. That said I probably looked pretty silly trying to find a way up that ridge - my intention had been to get up the spawn ridge, use gun depression & DPM to support the HTs at mill, but since they didn't go that way I went to castle as well. https://replays.woti...8f4a1872dc5eb8c

Best one from the last couple of days. We were HT- and TD-heavy and they were MT- and LT-heavy. I wasn't keen on going castle alone but figured someone had to do it so the team would at least know if the enemy was up there. The TDs followed me which was a relief and I think if they hadn't knocked half the LTTB's health off I would not have won the 2v1 on top of the hill. With that location sorted it was on to sniping at the flanks of red tanks on the heavy route for a nice 7-1 result. https://replays.woti...0d85ae2de367919

Still struggle a lot with Black Goldsville and Himmelsdorf as maps.

Nice job, good to see you're getting better. It's an absolutely brilliant tank once you get to grips with it, just a week or two ago I had a 4.1k mastery game - fired so much that I ran out of my AP and was just spamming APCR at the end lmao.

Himmelsdorf is a pretty difficult map for the Comet, and mediums/lights in general. My personal strategy is to go the railway lines, and second-line support the rest of the meds. If you have enough support, you can push forwards to the little depression in the ground on the very edge of the map, near the boundary line. If anyone has any better ideas, I welcome suggestions lol.

Black Goldsville is a pretty good map for the tank, though. The correct tactic is to go towards the caves and either use the mounds beside them to get shots, or to actually use your gun depression inside the caves themselves. You could also push the middle and get flank shots across on the heavies in town, or, more feasibly, the meds towards the caves.

Will watch your replays when I finally dig myself out of the pile of work I'm snowed under, and provide some feedback if you want :)

Happy Cometing!

Edited by TnkCmndrToo, 04 February 2019 - 03:28 AM.

BossArdnutz #15 Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:45 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 16871 battles
  • [DERPU]
Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users