Jump to content


Solution to AFK problem


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

TinDingo #1 Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:33 AM

    Sergeant

  • Member
  • 26392 battles
  • 193
  • [OVR50]
  • Member since:
    02-13-2016

G'day mates.

I think I have a solution to the AFK problem.

 

If a tank does not move for thirty seconds at the start of the game, its hit points are distributed among the rest of the team and the tank is sent back to the garage.

The enemy team will still have one more gun but they won't have a free tank to farm.

 

Not a perfect solution, but a step in the right direction?


Every system is perfectly designed to produce exactly the results that it produces


The_Gaffer #2 Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:46 AM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 53801 battles
  • 2,385
  • [SHIRE]
  • Member since:
    10-28-2013
Sounds good to me but WG seem unwilling to implement any restrictions on AFK players in Blitz. Perhaps they feel that, being a mobile game, connection issues are more prevalent and most players just don’t care about AFKs and would find it too strict. 

"It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish."

 


InvisibleShadow #3 Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:03 AM

    First Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 10999 battles
  • 743
  • [SCULL]
  • Member since:
    11-13-2015

It’s flawed but could be a step in the right direction.

 

Some people just have a bad connection. I’ve seen people come online a few mins into the game. Perhaps the time could be extended to 1.5 minutes?

 

~ Shadow (still alive and will likely return to Blitz after exams)

 

To Esh: Stop reviving old threads to mess up the forum. Do you seriously have nothing better to do with your life?

 

To real Gandalf: You haven’t accepted my discord request for months :/ I wanna chat with you


Edited by InvisibleShadow, 10 October 2018 - 10:07 AM.

%5Burl=http://wotbstars.com...peg[/img][/url]

JellyMcBean13 #4 Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:39 PM

    Corporal

  • Member
  • 6723 battles
  • 41
  • Member since:
    07-04-2018
The afk tank is not completely useless. It can still spot enemy.

G_Unit #5 Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:33 AM

    Corporal

  • Member
  • 8117 battles
  • 70
  • [TNIAD]
  • Member since:
    03-03-2013

View PostInvisibleShadow, on 10 October 2018 - 10:03 AM, said:

To Esh: Stop reviving old threads to mess up the forum. Do you seriously have nothing better to do with your life?

 

 

No use. I told him the same thing.



Freelancer_Tesla #6 Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:35 AM

    Sergeant

  • Member
  • 17640 battles
  • 203
  • [MAS]
  • Member since:
    10-19-2015

A slight refinement to the OP's suggestion: Rather than only applying to start of the battle, it should be across the entire duration of the battle. Because even the most hardcore of campers will move their gun/turret, zoom in and out (and in rare cases) check their surroundings while people sometimes move a bit then proceed to AFK for the rest of the match.

 

Basically how I feel it should work is like this:

1) After 30 seconds of absolutely zero user input at anytime during a battle, a warning should appear on screen.

2) 10 seconds after that and still no input, the player gets booted out of the battle (game should knockout the tank in a similar fashion to drowning i.e. the tank remains on the battlefield but is unable to be controlled and damage dealt to it will no longer count towards the attacker's score). Maybe add a disconnected icon above the tank that is visible to everyone.

3) If this happens a few times across a time span (maybe a couple of days), automatically issue a ban (and please, no one hour bans b'cause those things are useless).

 

This won't totally wipe out AFK players, but it will certainly discourage them from doing so (or require them to perform more actions than absolute necessary such as poking their device's screen now and then, installing bots, etc.).


Frequents higher tiers, because I hate tractors armed with high-caliber rifles.

Plays a mix of well, everything.

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."

- General George S. Patton


The_Gaffer #7 Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:06 AM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 53801 battles
  • 2,385
  • [SHIRE]
  • Member since:
    10-28-2013

View PostInvisibleShadow, on 10 October 2018 - 08:03 PM, said:

To Esh: Stop reviving old threads to mess up the forum. Do you seriously have nothing better to do with your life?

 

To real Gandalf: You haven’t accepted my discord request for months :/ I wanna chat with you

 

I believe he has noticed that many of us have him on our ignore list, meaning he is getting less attention, so bumping threads is a way for him to still feel that he is being noticed.

 

I am sorry. I thought I accepted it. I will check my Discord and send you a message if I have, or request/send another invite. 


"It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish."

 


TinDingo #8 Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:59 PM

    Sergeant

  • Member
  • 26392 battles
  • 193
  • [OVR50]
  • Member since:
    02-13-2016

View PostThe_Gaffer, on 10 October 2018 - 09:46 AM, said:

Sounds good to me but WG seem unwilling to implement any restrictions on AFK players in Blitz. Perhaps they feel that, being a mobile game, connection issues are more prevalent and most players just don’t care about AFKs and would find it too strict.

 

This is not meant to be a punishment for an AFK player.

If you lose your connection and cannot play, you can get reconnected while in the garage knowing that you have at least contributed your HP to your team.

You lose nothing as you can get into another game where your can contribute right from the start.


Every system is perfectly designed to produce exactly the results that it produces


TinDingo #9 Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:01 PM

    Sergeant

  • Member
  • 26392 battles
  • 193
  • [OVR50]
  • Member since:
    02-13-2016

View PostJellyMcBean13, on 10 October 2018 - 01:39 PM, said:

The afk tank is not completely useless. It can still spot enemy.

 

If a disconnected player spots anyone from spawn, the enemy team has won and has driven to them.

At that point they are just contributing their HP to the enemy.


Every system is perfectly designed to produce exactly the results that it produces


TinDingo #10 Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:03 PM

    Sergeant

  • Member
  • 26392 battles
  • 193
  • [OVR50]
  • Member since:
    02-13-2016

View PostFreelancer_Tesla, on 11 October 2018 - 02:35 AM, said:

A slight refinement to the OP's suggestion: Rather than only applying to start of the battle, it should be across the entire duration of the battle. Because even the most hardcore of campers will move their gun/turret, zoom in and out (and in rare cases) check their surroundings while people sometimes move a bit then proceed to AFK for the rest of the match.

 

Basically how I feel it should work is like this:

1) After 30 seconds of absolutely zero user input at anytime during a battle, a warning should appear on screen.

2) 10 seconds after that and still no input, the player gets booted out of the battle (game should knockout the tank in a similar fashion to drowning i.e. the tank remains on the battlefield but is unable to be controlled and damage dealt to it will no longer count towards the attacker's score). Maybe add a disconnected icon above the tank that is visible to everyone.

3) If this happens a few times across a time span (maybe a couple of days), automatically issue a ban (and please, no one hour bans b'cause those things are useless).

 

This won't totally wipe out AFK players, but it will certainly discourage them from doing so (or require them to perform more actions than absolute necessary such as poking their device's screen now and then, installing bots, etc.).

 

My suggestion only applies to players who are AFK right from the start because they have been disconnected.

It does not have anything to do with campers who are still conneted.


Every system is perfectly designed to produce exactly the results that it produces


TinDingo #11 Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:04 PM

    Sergeant

  • Member
  • 26392 battles
  • 193
  • [OVR50]
  • Member since:
    02-13-2016

I see now I should have titled this post "Solution to disconnected problem".

 

And yes, it should apply across the duration of the entre battle.


 

If a player becomes disconnected for 30 seconds (WG servers can tell if they are no longer getting a signal from a player), the server returns them to the garage and distributes any HP they have left to the rest of their team.

This has nothing to do with campers or anyone who can get reconnected in 30 seconds (or a minute or whatever).

It is simply a way for a genuinely disconnected player to be less of a burden to their team.


Edited by TinDingo, 11 October 2018 - 11:09 PM.

Every system is perfectly designed to produce exactly the results that it produces


Ambulant #12 Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:26 PM

    Sergeant

  • Member
  • 45542 battles
  • 244
  • [FLAME]
  • Member since:
    08-02-2015

View PostThe_Gaffer, on 11 October 2018 - 04:06 AM, said:

 

I believe he has noticed that many of us have him on our ignore list, meaning he is getting less attention, so bumping threads is a way for him to still feel that he is being noticed.

 

I am sorry. I thought I accepted it. I will check my Discord and send you a message if I have, or request/send another invite.

 

Ooooh, I didn't know you could view and see who has put you into the ignore list. Nice one. Honestly, the forum is so much nicer when Esh11 is not existing. Just ignore him guys. It's made my forum experience so much nicer.

Ambulant #13 Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:36 PM

    Sergeant

  • Member
  • 45542 battles
  • 244
  • [FLAME]
  • Member since:
    08-02-2015
Oh yes, remember to add the multiple facets of Esh11 and Esh111 to the ignore list as well, not just the fake Gandalf account.

The_Gaffer #14 Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:19 AM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 53801 battles
  • 2,385
  • [SHIRE]
  • Member since:
    10-28-2013

View PostAmbulant, on 12 October 2018 - 09:26 AM, said:

 

Ooooh, I didn't know you could view and see who has put you into the ignore list. Nice one. Honestly, the forum is so much nicer when Esh11 is not existing. Just ignore him guys. It's made my forum experience so much nicer.

 

I don't think you can but I know several of us are ignoring him because people chat. I am friends with many forum members, some in "real life", before Blitz.

 

I can see that he is being ignored more lately. Not a single response to his "Pimp my Proto" topic. I reckon he has noticed it too.  

 

 


"It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish."

 


Freelancer_Tesla #15 Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:09 AM

    Sergeant

  • Member
  • 17640 battles
  • 203
  • [MAS]
  • Member since:
    10-19-2015

View PostTinDingo, on 12 October 2018 - 07:03 AM, said:

 

My suggestion only applies to players who are AFK right from the start because they have been disconnected.

It does not have anything to do with campers who are still conneted.

 

Ah sorry, I should have worded my original post a bit more clearly.

 

The "campers" was actually meant as an example that an anti-AFK system should not only use distance moved as its measurement because certain classes like TDs move around very little. However, they still do move their guns and look around them (the player is still providing input).


Frequents higher tiers, because I hate tractors armed with high-caliber rifles.

Plays a mix of well, everything.

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."

- General George S. Patton


IGNORE_MY_WINRATE #16 Posted 12 November 2018 - 11:41 PM

    Corporal

  • Member
  • 8918 battles
  • 54
  • [SUB40]
  • Member since:
    01-03-2017
Sounds great. I always feel bad when my connection dies and I end up unable to play. I think it should be if you don't move a set distance OR shoot at an enemy. That will allow people to still snipe




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users