Is there something wrong with aiming?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Diamond114 #21 Posted 28 June 2018 - 03:04 PM

Captain

• 15992 battles
  • [408]
Have downloaded 5.01 patch and confirmed the "old" auto-aim is the usual one we know and love.

"Fight to fly, fly to fight, FIGHT TO WIN!" - U.S Navy Fighter Weapons School TOPGUN.

"Nothing is right in tactics. A good fighter pilot must be free to propose improvements to his tactics or he will get himself killed." - Cmdr. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, USN.

"To be a good fighter pilot, there's only one prime requisite; Think Fast, and Act Faster" - John Trevor Godfrey, 336 Sqn RAF

Creighton_Abrams #22 Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:00 PM

First Lieutenant

• 21964 battles
  • [XYZ_1]

View PostMaddoxkkm, on 28 June 2018 - 11:26 PM, said:

Because PC autoaim is different to Mobile Autoaim. learn your stuff pls

No need to be like that. I don't play Mobile versions.

However, I do know that the Windows version has been updated to 5.0.1 and the Steam version has not.

Steam normally auto-updates, though so far it hasnot.   

And if the problem was only related to the Mobile versions, why was the Windows version updated to 5.0.1 and not the Steam version ?

I do know, that the auto-aim has been more problematic since 5.0 particularly locking onto target, and tracking afterwards.

Maverickdh #23 Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:58 PM

Captain

• 50457 battles
  • [BEAST]

View Postfjvhk, on 28 June 2018 - 09:33 PM, said:

After updating to 5.0.1 on ios or android you will find it in settings / controls / AUTO AIM VERSION

OLD - "Old and familiar target tracking principal" 

NEW - "More accurate target tracking at long range" (apparently so accurate that an urgent reversion was necessary)

IMG_1432vj.jpg

p.s. dunno why this uploaded image automatically gets reduced to tiny size, more acuity required to read it at any range

Depends on where you are, eg if in an Asian Country close to the Singapore server you probably get enhanced ability nl surprise there as this is right up War Gamming alley.

if further away from Singapore eg Australia NZ you will stuffer even worse than before, as usual WG play to the masses.

enjoy your advantage☝️

__ForGlory__ #24 Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:59 PM

Corporal

• 3304 battles
  • [CHUBY]
Who even uses autoaim anyway? I dont, do good enough without it thanks.

B_SaltyMadd #25 Posted 29 June 2018 - 01:18 AM

Captain

• 30409 battles
  • [FEAST]

View PostCreighton_Abrams, on 29 June 2018 - 12:00 AM, said:

No need to be like that. I don't play Mobile versions.

However, I do know that the Windows version has been updated to 5.0.1 and the Steam version has not.

Steam normally auto-updates, though so far it hasnot.   

And if the problem was only related to the Mobile versions, why was the Windows version updated to 5.0.1 and not the Steam version ?

I do know, that the auto-aim has been more problematic since 5.0 particularly locking onto target, and tracking afterwards.

because Steam only offers Keyboard/Mouse controls ONLY, so autoaim for mobile doesn't apply here, thus no patch for Steam.

Windows Store, Android and iOS offers touch control mode (for Windows Store touch mode is only available for Windows Tablets or phones), which is why they got the patch.

Leader of FEAST (Fulcra of the East), Twister Cup 2018 Asia Server Champion

Developer of SerBot (Discord Stats Bot) & Mod Site MadWoTBMods

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. " ~Winston Churchill

Neb10k #26 Posted 29 June 2018 - 02:11 AM

Captain

• 56946 battles
  • [KR0N0]

View PostGandalf__Greyhame, on 28 June 2018 - 06:24 AM, said:

What is the difference between the two ? Which one to go for and why ? Please don't put server side and client side . That means nothing to me . In terms of game play what is the difference between the two options ?

With new autoaim you can reliably shoot natural features without enemy tanks getting in the way.

Gandalf__Greyhame #27 Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:05 AM

First Lieutenant

• 206 battles
  • [SHLRE]

View PostNeb10k, on 29 June 2018 - 02:11 AM, said:

With new autoaim you can reliably shoot natural features without enemy tanks getting in the way.

Conspiracy theory : If you select new auto aim you get better match making and 5% RNG bonus :trollface:

ankitgusai19 #28 Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:21 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 40608 battles
  • [SMRT]

View PostNeb10k, on 29 June 2018 - 07:41 AM, said:

lol :trollface:

Creighton_Abrams #29 Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:41 AM

First Lieutenant

• 21964 battles
  • [XYZ_1]

@Maddoxkkm

Respectfully, according to the news, the patch also addresses crashes (for example I assume the crash that occurs at the end of the game whilst you have the chat window open). 

5.0.1 is available for PC, but not Steam.

As for the Auto-Aim:

The Auto-Aim function on iOS has the functions ENABLED, ARCADE, WITH BUTTON, DISABLED.   (no idea what ARCADE and WITH BUTTON do)

The Auto-Aim on PC is simply a "R MOUSE" button control (on/off) which would I guess correspond to ENABLED / DISABLED on the mobile platform.

Either ways, once enabled the functionality should surely be the same and exhibit the same issue across platforms ... No ? Otherwise one would have to suggest that one platform is being favored over another.... but...

5.0.1 introduces Auto-aim Version with OLD and NEW settings. With the default post 5.01 being now set to OLD.  These settings do appear only on the iOS/Android platform, which sort of begs the question whether indeed players on the mobile platform now get an unfair advantage over those on the PC platform.

FYI. I've posted these issues within:

Edited by Creighton_Abrams, 29 June 2018 - 07:03 AM.

lexus7204 #30 Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:46 AM

Sergeant

• 18614 battles
  • [FEAST]

View PostCreighton_Abrams, on 29 June 2018 - 02:41 PM, said:

@Maddoxkkm

Respectfully, according to the news, the patch also addresses crashes (for example I assume the crash that occurs at the end of the game whilst you have the chat window open). 

As for the Auto-Aim:

The Auto-Aim function on iOS has the functions ENABLED, ARCADE, WITH BUTTON, DISABLED.   (no idea what ARCADE and WITH BUTTON do)

The Auto-Aim on PC is simply a "R MOUSE" button control (on/off) which would I guess correspond to ENABLED / DISABLED on the mobile platform.

Either ways, once enabled the functionality should surely be the same and exhibit the same issue across platforms ... No ? Otherwise one would have to suggest that one platform is being favored over another.... but...

5.0.1 introduces Auto-aim Version with OLD and NEW settings. With the default post 5.01 being now set to OLD.  These settings do appear only on the iOS/Android platform, which sort of begs the question whether indeed players on the mobile platform now get an unfair advantage over those on the PC platform.

Dude, pc autoaim was fine, only mobile versions had the problem

Member of FEAST.

Premiums:  KpfPz 70, IS-5, Panther M/10, SU-122-44, Kuro, AC IV Sentinel, Pz V/IV, Anko SP, SU-85I, A-32, Pz.B2, Hetzer SP, T-15, T-127, BT-7 art., T7 Car, Light VIC.

Normal tenks: T1, Pz. 35 (t), Chaffee, KV-2, T21, T-54, T-62A, Object 140, IS-8, Centurion 7/1

B_SaltyMadd #31 Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:07 AM

Captain

• 30409 battles
  • [FEAST]

View PostCreighton_Abrams, on 29 June 2018 - 02:41 PM, said:

@Maddoxkkm

As for the Auto-Aim:

allow me to give you a lesson on the fundamentals of Aiming system of Touch vs Keyboard + Mouse before you continue your bullshit.

I have already played 12k games in touch and at least 18k games with keyboard and I am pretty sure I know more about the difference between the aiming system then you, who have never played a single game on touch and assuming everything on your "knowledge" which let's be honest, doesn't exist at all and are wrong.

The entire aiming system are built on how these control modes control their view.

Control methods of different setups

Touch

Users control where they look by swiping the screen, which gives poor precision when you are aiming at very small targets as you are swiping the screen mostly with a finger instead a solid device. Auto-aim for Mobile devices are designed to give precision by assist tracking, which I will talk a bit more below.

Fingers used to control Touch is usually 2 fingers only (left part of screen and right part of screen, other finger counts are possible but 2 is the comfortable amount that I use when playing touch). which meant the user can only do so little at the same time.

Keyboard + Mouse

Users control where they look by moving the mouse, which give very high precision as users are able to customize the mouse's DPI by various settings and because users are allowed to very easily right click and look around, plus the fact that the fire button is within reach of milliseconds, gives distinct advantage to PC players, in terms of aiming, firing and ability to have a overview of the battle within half a second.

Fingers used to control keyboard + mouse configuration:

• left hand: 4 (3 for WASD control + ammo + consumables, and 1 finger on shift key for quick sniper mode change, which is most comfortable)
    • or 5 (left hand for entire keyboard control)
  • right hand: 2 (simple control)
    • or 3 (if using mouse with extra buttons on the side)

So right off the bat, PC control seems to have a big advantage over touch aiming system. luckily WG got this covered (the aiming part) with mobile auto-aim.

How does auto-aim work?

Touch

It is recommended to take either "Arcade Mode" or "With Button" option for Mobile Auto-aim, if you want control over where you are aiming in case the aiming system is giving your trouble at aiming.

Old Auto-Aim

It enables aiming assist by following the tank with the reticle, while allowing the user to adjust where to aim at the tank (for example you can select to aim at the lower plate of a target while auto-aim system will help it to keep the reticle aiming at the lower plate), which will follow the tank until the user forces the reticle away from the tank or the tank goes unspotted. this is to help Mobile users so they can aim carefully like PC players.

all Tracking and calculations are done on the client side.

New Auto-aim

It is still unsure how this mode works, but from player feedback and stuff it sounds like it works similar to PC auto aim, automatically leads the target with server-based tracking. currently still very unusable in my opinion, thus the option for old auto-aim is returned.

Keyboard + Mouse

The only auto-aim scheme is right click lock-on / lock-off. PC autoaim only aims at the center mass of the tank, and giving a predefined lead at targets. all tracking and calculations are done on the client side, even after 5.0.

The Keyboard + Mouse configuration have distinct advantage over touch users in aiming and precise control that WG added option to turn on "same control mode" for fair touch fights and also excluded PC players from Professional tournaments as it will be unfair to players who uses touch.

Leader of FEAST (Fulcra of the East), Twister Cup 2018 Asia Server Champion

Developer of SerBot (Discord Stats Bot) & Mod Site MadWoTBMods

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. " ~Winston Churchill

tusbodi #32 Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:07 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 34266 battles
  • [BOGAN]

So far as I can tell as a mobile player I know have the choice between two equally sub standard versions of the PC auto aim. 

Can’t they just go back to the 2015 version of auto aim? Oh and I’m not good enough to go without it. I’m old

Creighton_Abrams #33 Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:52 AM

First Lieutenant

• 21964 battles
  • [XYZ_1]

@Maddoxkkm - dude, what's with the overly aggressive responses - you having a bad couple of days ? Your answer is appreciated but the tone sort of looses the appeal towards saying thanks.

In my experience on playing the PC/Steam versions, post release 5.0, the Auto-aim is proving more troublesome to lock onto a target (you can click away at the center of a target tank, and it simply won't lock), and when it has locked when you fire, the shot doesn't always find the target, sometimes sailing out way above / below etc.  Now maybe this is just a coincidence of other changes being made, however without mentioning it no one would be any the wiser.

Edited by Creighton_Abrams, 07 July 2018 - 11:11 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users