T25/2: Still Relevant

T25/2 psuedo-medium medium tank destroyer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

_RB_33_ #1 Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:55 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 28218 battles
  • [101AS]

Since it's been quite a while since the topic on the T25/2 (and T25-AT) has been touched on, allow me to share my thoughts.

The last time I used the T25/2 prior to this was roughly 3 yrs ago when I started my Blitz "career". Back then, it was the +2/-2 era of MM. Coming from a successful yet unremarkable run in the Hellcat, I decided to avail the T25/2. Lo and behold, after a grind that last for a week or two, I was able to snag to M-Badges within a week and a lot of credits to boot. And that was during the +2/-2 era of MM, not to brag.

And then I sold it since I decided to become a medium tank driver - the German variety. It was a mistake. A HUGE mistake.

Now that I am grinding my way up to the E50M, I decided to bring back this average yet dependable machine to help me with the credit grind while keeping myself sharp for higher tier matches. Imagine my joy when I was able to snag a 1st class on my first sortie after bringing back the T25/2 in my garage. A sortie where I fought without any equipment (courtesy of the equipment timer). Yes, a lot of you have done better by pulling off a Mastery on the first sortie but on a personal level, I am so happy to find out that the T25/2 is still right at home on the battlefield. It's like a Jackson with the much needed improvement of traverse speeds. Even with all those fantasy tanks and new tanks coming out, the T25/2 still has teeth.

So gents, what are your thoughts on the T25/2 in Blitz's current meta? Keep it clean and fire away those opinions :)

The_Gaffer #2 Posted 02 April 2018 - 11:17 AM

Captain

• 53801 battles
  • [SHIRE]
I played it (59 battles total) last year (last battle on the 31st of December). I enjoyed the tank but I never felt confident of being able to influence the battle that much. I parked it soon after Acing it (I never permanently retire a tank before I have Aced it). I would play it if in a platoon with a reliable player but I doubt I will ever roll out solo with it. I’m just not good enough to be anything other than a fairly reliable support player in it.

"It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish."

Jumper919029291 #3 Posted 02 April 2018 - 12:09 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 7818 battles
  • [HALAP]
I havn't played it in person, since I dont like American tanks, but seeing them as enemies proves that they are very capable machines. Especially, the turret front can be very bouncy giving it a huge advantage on ridgelines. Also, it's gun really has a punch.

Пролетарии всех стран, соединяйтесь!

Diamond114 #4 Posted 02 April 2018 - 12:38 PM

Captain

• 16529 battles
  • [408]

View Post_RB_33_, on 02 April 2018 - 07:55 PM, said:

Since it's been quite a while since the topic on the T25/2 (and T25-AT) has been touched on, allow me to share my thoughts.

The last time I used the T25/2 prior to this was roughly 3 yrs ago when I started my Blitz "career". Back then, it was the +2/-2 era of MM. Coming from a successful yet unremarkable run in the Hellcat, I decided to avail the T25/2. Lo and behold, after a grind that last for a week or two, I was able to snag to M-Badges within a week and a lot of credits to boot. And that was during the +2/-2 era of MM, not to brag.

And then I sold it since I decided to become a medium tank driver - the German variety. It was a mistake. A HUGE mistake.

Now that I am grinding my way up to the E50M, I decided to bring back this average yet dependable machine to help me with the credit grind while keeping myself sharp for higher tier matches. Imagine my joy when I was able to snag a 1st class on my first sortie after bringing back the T25/2 in my garage. A sortie where I fought without any equipment (courtesy of the equipment timer). Yes, a lot of you have done better by pulling off a Mastery on the first sortie but on a personal level, I am so happy to find out that the T25/2 is still right at home on the battlefield. It's like a Jackson with the much needed improvement of traverse speeds. Even with all those fantasy tanks and new tanks coming out, the T25/2 still has teeth.

So gents, what are your thoughts on the T25/2 in Blitz's current meta? Keep it clean and fire away those opinions :)

​Good mobility, easy to underestimate DPM; sub-6 second reload on the pre-3.8 equipment setup. The armor is a bit lacking, but then again to use this to go head-to-head against heavies starting from frontal attack positions in most turretted TDs even is daft idea IMO. Premmo also punches through most Tier VIII heavies` front hull including IS-3 and Lowe like no one`s business.

All it needs is a player that can avoid taking unnecessary damage and a team that doesn`t immediately YOLO and dies within the first minutes of the match.

"Fight to fly, fly to fight, FIGHT TO WIN!" - U.S Navy Fighter Weapons School TOPGUN.

"Nothing is right in tactics. A good fighter pilot must be free to propose improvements to his tactics or he will get himself killed." - Cmdr. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, USN.

"To be a good fighter pilot, there's only one prime requisite; Think Fast, and Act Faster" - John Trevor Godfrey, 336 Sqn RAF

Jumper919029291 #5 Posted 02 April 2018 - 01:04 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 7818 battles
  • [HALAP]

View PostDiamond114, on 02 April 2018 - 09:38 PM, said:

​Good mobility, easy to underestimate DPM; sub-6 second reload on the pre-3.8 equipment setup. The armor is a bit lacking, but then again to use this to go head-to-head against heavies starting from frontal attack positions in most turretted TDs even is daft idea IMO. Premmo also punches through most Tier VIII heavies` front hull including IS-3 and Lowe like no one`s business.

All it needs is a player that can avoid taking unnecessary damage and a team that doesn`t immediately YOLO and dies within the first minutes of the match.

Yes, the MOST important thing is A DARN TEAM THAT DOESN"T YOLO FOR GOD SAKE!!!

Пролетарии всех стран, соединяйтесь!

Ambulant #6 Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:57 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 63440 battles
  • [A-WTN]
The DPM is very good. And it has penetrating power. The trick is getting a team that doesn't lose the match early. I played more than 1k games in it, just to get to 50% win rate. I was really bad in the beginning, but near the end, I was putting in 60% winrates... I regret selling it though. I got a lot of ace masteries too, it is intimidating to face a t25/2 one on one if you're not good at brawling, and it can hold its own against many tier 6 and tier 7 meds. It can COD a kv2 with ease.

saklaing #7 Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:59 AM

Corporal

• 29095 battles
  • [LOT]
Best thing IMO is the gun depression.  Very effective.

_RB_33_ #8 Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:40 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 28218 battles
  • [101AS]

My apologies for the necropost. Considering that it's been almost a year since the topic of the T25/2 was last discussed, I may might as well share what knowledge that I have gained through the years since Aug. 2013 for the benefit of newer players who are going up the US turreted TD and are passing through (most likely just passing through) this TD/MT hybrid. For one, I understand many newcomers think of this TD as a step down from the Hellcat. It isn't. Think of it as a soft cushion preventing a literal change of gameplay before reacing the T28 Proto.

That being said, the T25/2 in current meta still has teeth. Sure, it could be described as underwhelming compared to the more popular tanks out there but on the other hand, the T25/2 has flexibility on it's side. Bushka was right to describe this TD as having an identity crisis as it has enough characteristics to be called a medium tank but definitely not enough to be a good one. It also has enough characteristics to be classified as a TD but not enough to compete as a pure TD. It lacks the pure speed and agility of many MTs and it also lacks the Alpha of many TDs. This should be no surprise because there is no such thing as a T25/2 TD in real life. The real life T25/2 is a concept/plan/prototype for what would eventualy be the Pershing. 

What this MTD has in spades is flexibility. Your MTs need back-up? Feel free to follow them and support them with your fast-firing gun. Heavies need support? Feel free to go ahead and cover them. Someone needs to flush out a fleeing LT to have it trapped by teammates? It's fast enough for the job. Need a sniper? Can do and if you load up on the prammo, you can frontally pen many HTs with little trouble. The ones you can't? You can easily flank them. You chance upon a camping casemate TD? Smile because you most likely have the speed and agility advantage over them in close quarters. It essentially combines the best of the Hellcat and Jackson TDs while gently prepping the budding high tier US Turreted TD driver for a change of gameplay before reaching the T28 Proto. For many, they actually consider the T25/2 as the American in-game equivalent of the German Panther I tank, trading some of the MT traverse speeds and gun ROF for a bit more pen, camo and gun depression. 

So just to end this novel of a necropost, here's a video of one of my sorties in the T25/2. Not my best as it's just a 1st class mastery badge but it was certainly satsifying considering I was bottom-tier. Please note that I ended up supporting both the Panther/M10 and Lowe on our flank. Good luck and happy hunting. 

Edited by _RB_33_, 16 October 2019 - 07:45 AM.

Newb179 #9 Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:44 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 9544 battles
  • [CPU]
So sort of like Sherman Firefly? Except the other way round since the Sherman is classified a Medium Tank.

_RB_33_ #10 Posted 18 October 2019 - 12:58 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 28218 battles
  • [101AS]

View PostNewb179, on 18 October 2019 - 02:44 AM, said:

So sort of like Sherman Firefly? Except the other way round since the Sherman is classified a Medium Tank.

That's a pretty good analogy. IMO, their main difference is that where the T25/2's identity crisis still allows it room to perform splendidly in either role the player chooses, the Firefly actually struggles in either med tank or turreted TD roles.

This is basing on my experiences with both tanks. Now if the Firefly had a bit more gun depression to it like the other Sherman variants, the Firefly might actually have a different story for me. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users