Windows 10 - Game Logging to Disk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Creighton_Abrams #1 Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:28 PM

First Lieutenant

• 21874 battles
  • [XYZ_1]

I've been experiencing issues with the Windows 10 version of WoT Blitz, and have noticed a correlation between Disk access from the Game Binary, and Game Freezes... it looks like the Game is logging to disk (according to SysInternals Tools).  

I've created a RAM Disk, using imdisk and have moved the data folder over there, and am experimenting with that. If anyone else is experiencing the same issue, please do share your experiences - perhaps we can either get WG to turn of the logging, make it configurable, or remediate the issue.

TinDingo #2 Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:00 AM

Sergeant

• 24918 battles
  • [OVR50]

View PostCreighton_Abrams, on 13 January 2018 - 07:28 PM, said:

I've been experiencing issues with the Windows 10 version of WoT Blitz, and have noticed a correlation between Disk access from the Game Binary, and Game Freezes... it looks like the Game is logging to disk (according to SysInternals Tools). 

I've created a RAM Disk, using imdisk and have moved the data folder over there, and am experimenting with that. If anyone else is experiencing the same issue, please do share your experiences - perhaps we can either get WG to turn of the logging, make it configurable, or remediate the issue.

I have noticed this also.
Using Task Manager I identified the following...

Your team's tanks are cached before the games start, enemy tanks are not.
If you drive around the corner and spot any enemy tanks for the first time, there is delay while WOTB reads them from disk.
There is also a delay if you team mate on the other side of the map spots enemy tanks for the first time.

If you kill an enemy tank, there is a delay while WOTB reads the dead version of the tank from disk.

The length of the delay can be anywhere fro 0 to a several seconds depending on the spead of you hard drive.

I solved the problem by getting a SSD.
But this only compensates for WGs sloppy software.
There is no need to go to disk for anything once the game has started as everything should have been cached during the count-down.
I submitted a tick to WG and they said that my hard drive was to blame.
I say WG programmers are to blame.

Every system is perfectly designed to produce exactly the results that it produces

Creighton_Abrams #3 Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:04 PM

First Lieutenant

• 21874 battles
  • [XYZ_1]

@cgc6games, those observations are precisely what I have noticed, though I'm using an SSD (Samsung SSD 750 EVO 250GB), hence my experiment with a RAM Drive using "imdisk". Though I later found, that even though I had created a link between the %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\7458BE2C.WorldofTanksBlitz_x4tje2y229k00\LocalState
DAVAProject  folder and the RAM Drive, and the performance hits disappeared, after restarting the PC (although the RAM Drive contents were restored [from cache]) Blitz wouldn't recognise them, and behaved as if I was starting afresh each time.

teysanook #4 Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:13 PM

Captain

• 5377 battles
  • [T1RKX]

Move to appropriate forum (From "Game Discussion" )

~ teysanook

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users