A guide to basic shot calling for pub matches

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

LightninWar #1 Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:39 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 5451 battles
  • [STURM]

For those of you who dont know, the art of shot calling is one of the most simple yet one of the most effective techniques used in game and in the real battlefield. Its one of the most forgotten techniques in WoT but its usually used by some of the average, the above average and the higher echelon of the blitz playerbase. However, this doesnt mean that if you have enough common sense about the roles of the game and has a sub 48% with decent wn8 does not mean you cant call shots. In fact anyone can call shots but you should have a bit of a gamesense reading skill in order to apply it anywhere.

To start off my guide to shot calling, what exactly is shot calling? Shot calling is, in simpler terms, "calling the shots". Shot calling "decides" where everyone should go or what everyone should do. For example, the shot caller would start sharing his reload speed, where to cap (if it is supremacy), which flank to go and the usual "S.O.S." to signal where he'll need support and where to go. This job is commonly used by good players with a good amount of gamesense to determine what the enemy team would do. 

In other words, shot calling is deciding where the team should be at its most effective at a part of a map. 

So now that you know what shot calling is, how do you exactly do it? Well, first, shot calling needs a couple of things you have before you can confidently call the shots.

Here are the list of things needed beforehand

For simple shot calling, you'll only needs these

1.) Map Awareness

- being aware of how maps flow and go and how most tanks act within each map is a much needed skill in shot calling

2.) Team Reading

- again, another important skill in shot calling. Team reading, a shorter term for Team Composition reading is a skill wherein a player looks upon what tanks his/her team, whats the general weakness of the tanks that his/her team have and acts accordingly and puts the decision of calling shots based on which flank should the team go. 

3.) Situational Awareness

- in midst of battle, you may realize that your shots that you called at the start of the match may fail. This is okay as a lot of players may fail to realize what shots you called or your mapped out plan failed. But, you can still call shots to the remaining team members and coordinate with them in order to fish out a win. Calling your shots basing on the current situation is needed at the middle or final stages of the match as it is crucial for you and your last remaining teammates to win. 

Note:

I would not go in-depth to advance shot calling as this is just a simple guide for a lot of you to start out on. Although you shouldnt expect that all of you matches would suddenly go smoothly due to your shots, you will see that it would give at least some idea to your team of what they should do in order to win. Again, it may not work with the horribly horribly bad members of your teams but itll work for those who actually listen. 

So, you have the skills noted above, without further ado, lets get into it shall we.

Now, for those who want to call shots, I will assume that you know at least have an idea or general knowledge on how most tanks perform at their respective countries. If you hadnt yet, I reccomend checking out how those tanks work, regardless of its type. Who knows, maybe one day you'll take someone out for exploiting a weakness of the said enemy tank.

Now for the guide to shot calling

1.) When the match has't started yet, check the team lists and which map you're playing on and plan accordingly

- a basic but important skill to pick up in any team based game. To know how to shot call, you must first know whats the enemy team is composed of, what your team is composed of, what map youre playing on, your advantages and disadvantages and plan accordingly

As said by Sun Tzu himself

"If you know the enemy and yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not your enemy, for every victory you shall suffer a defeat.

2.) Use the commands at the bottom righthand corner of your screen

- self explanatory. Use the commands at the bottom right to communicate to the team and let them know key factors such as which base to cap (in supremacy) and your reload time. It can also be used as a way of saying "yes" and "no" through affirmative and negative.

3.) If possible, use "<<<<<" and ">>>>>" as general direction on where your team should head out to

- saying which direction where the team should go is needed. "all right/left" and "x tank go right/left" should work as well. This gives a simple idea on where teammates should head out to, especially those who are unsure of where they should go but knows how to make do of their tanks.

4.) Knowing game terms, when to say said terms and how to use them whenever possible

- "LT spot", "MT flank", "TDs fire" and "heavies hold" are just examples of said terms used by shot callers in blitz. Knowing these terms are crucial for a lot clutch moments in blitz.

5.) Coordinate, Coordinate, Coordinate

- last but not least, coordinate. Just because youre the one calling shots does not mean you have to do your own thing after calling it. 

Just a quick summary

Know your tank

Know your team's tanks and their playstyle

Know the enemy's tanks and their respective playstyle

Know the battlefield

Call the shots accordingly to the situation

Coordinate with the (decent enough) members of the team that are willing to cooperate

If the situation calls dire, call another shot, act upon it

If you lose because of the team, try again

If you win due to it, good for you, try again

Only experience will determine if your shots are effective or not. Not so good? Try knowing more about the game. Decent enough? Try getting even better at it. Really good? Lets top it up a notch and try it in a tournament. Who knows, maybe you'll get to a winning international tournament due to it. 

Now thats all said and done, may you have good luck and great shots be wished upon you, commanders o7

So what sort of sophisticated writing can I put on here with this oh so fancy font?

Hmmm....

Link to my horrible, horrible stats: 

https://www.blitzsta...sia/LightninWar

CaptAsshat #2 Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:01 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 29189 battles
  • [BOGAN]
I find when MM has fkd up again and all the MT and LT are on the red team it is best to meet them head on.

Better than be spotted from a distance and getting hit from behind.

It is gard to get your team to do this as it seems a lot of players just drive in the direction that their tank is facing at spawn.

Gentleman Tanker.

Lord_Melchett #3 Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:52 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 26229 battles
  • [1914]

View PostCaptAsshat, on 11 January 2018 - 11:01 PM, said:

I find when MM has fkd up again and all the MT and LT are on the red team it is best to meet them head on.

Better than be spotted from a distance and getting hit from behind.

It is gard to get your team to do this as it seems a lot of players just drive in the direction that their tank is facing at spawn.

What?!?  Your teammates drive out of spawn?

Maverickdh #4 Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:03 AM

Captain

• 49989 battles
  • [BEAST]

lightin great passsion and yes that is good information, but imo/e now the game re new players, potatoes, noobs what ever you want to call the mass Veges playing now, are just not interested and WG have created this enviroment to thrive, people have are being trsined to pay to win but most will still play so badly they will lose badly as well regardless lf theyre spend, but this is what WG wants.

in the earlier days theyre was enough of a base of acutal tank enthusiasts where winrate was important took me awhile too to cotton onto that, so it was worth working on ideas like yours above, the problem is and has really always been how you access your way up the tech trees buy premiums and even the events are so badly put together, like the many many many ideas once sharded on the forums to improve game play the results get worse with each update,mits a higger problem than changing information with people yes it helps a few who are generally interested I get feedback sfter a game at times saying hey thnks even your comments in game while harsh made me realise what I was doing wrong and those guys can improve but its very rare. the game development is balanced all wrong to support improvement of masses, look at all the videos youtubers release, yes it helps some but event hat is having no imoact on the player bases on all servers, thougn gawd knows how bad it would be without these great channels and the work they do.

If we saw improvements re MM, incentive by earning not buying your way up a tech tree or high tier premiums then maybe wed see improvements to player skills, but it aint gonna happen, that's not WG goal, which is clearly evidnet for a few years now, just look at the next update re boosters and spare parts omg look out.

Neb10k #5 Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:55 AM

Captain

• 56096 battles
  • [KR0N0]
Lightning- good description.

I would add a concept “When not to call”.

For me it’s when I know there is a better player (know most of them or the clans). Then I shut up and follow, especially it lower tier. Skyd from storm and the grump players are good examples. Sometimes the calls are not what I would think, but they win. Clearly they know stuff I don’t.

What I hate is the opposite -e.g.  500 gamers suggesting to cap base on maps where you need to thin teams before cap will win.

When I see this I ask the player to refrain from calling until they reach 5000 games (I.e lose interest and go away, or get some skills). I try to explain that the game is complex.

Sometimes they respond well. Recently a player argued that he was top tier so everyone should follow him according to game rules . I suggested that I would prefer not to pin my hopes on his WR....

Noobieman #6 Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:28 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 21000 battles
  • [AVSW]

View PostNeb10k, on 12 January 2018 - 01:55 PM, said:

Sometimes they respond well. Recently a player argued that he was top tier so everyone should follow him according to game rules . I suggested that I would prefer not to pin my hopes on his WR....

he was probably consuming fermented potato juice and thought he was invincible and clever

Diamond114 #7 Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:22 AM

Captain

• 15895 battles
  • [408]

View PostLightninWar, on 12 January 2018 - 07:39 AM, said:

For those of you who dont know, the art of shot calling is one of the most simple yet one of the most effective techniques used in game and in the real battlefield. Its one of the most forgotten techniques in WoT but its usually used by some of the average, the above average and the higher echelon of the blitz playerbase. However, this doesnt mean that if you have enough common sense about the roles of the game and has a sub 48% with decent wn8 does not mean you cant call shots. In fact anyone can call shots but you should have a bit of a gamesense reading skill in order to apply it anywhere.

To start off my guide to shot calling, what exactly is shot calling? Shot calling is, in simpler terms, "calling the shots". Shot calling "decides" where everyone should go or what everyone should do. For example, the shot caller would start sharing his reload speed, where to cap (if it is supremacy), which flank to go and the usual "S.O.S." to signal where he'll need support and where to go. This job is commonly used by good players with a good amount of gamesense to determine what the enemy team would do. 

In other words, shot calling is deciding where the team should be at its most effective at a part of a map. 

So now that you know what shot calling is, how do you exactly do it? Well, first, shot calling needs a couple of things you have before you can confidently call the shots.

Here are the list of things needed beforehand

For simple shot calling, you'll only needs these

1.) Map Awareness

- being aware of how maps flow and go and how most tanks act within each map is a much needed skill in shot calling

2.) Team Reading

- again, another important skill in shot calling. Team reading, a shorter term for Team Composition reading is a skill wherein a player looks upon what tanks his/her team, whats the general weakness of the tanks that his/her team have and acts accordingly and puts the decision of calling shots based on which flank should the team go. 

3.) Situational Awareness

- in midst of battle, you may realize that your shots that you called at the start of the match may fail. This is okay as a lot of players may fail to realize what shots you called or your mapped out plan failed. But, you can still call shots to the remaining team members and coordinate with them in order to fish out a win. Calling your shots basing on the current situation is needed at the middle or final stages of the match as it is crucial for you and your last remaining teammates to win. 

Note:

I would not go in-depth to advance shot calling as this is just a simple guide for a lot of you to start out on. Although you shouldnt expect that all of you matches would suddenly go smoothly due to your shots, you will see that it would give at least some idea to your team of what they should do in order to win. Again, it may not work with the horribly horribly bad members of your teams but itll work for those who actually listen. 

So, you have the skills noted above, without further ado, lets get into it shall we.

Now, for those who want to call shots, I will assume that you know at least have an idea or general knowledge on how most tanks perform at their respective countries. If you hadnt yet, I reccomend checking out how those tanks work, regardless of its type. Who knows, maybe one day you'll take someone out for exploiting a weakness of the said enemy tank.

Now for the guide to shot calling

1.) When the match has't started yet, check the team lists and which map you're playing on and plan accordingly

- a basic but important skill to pick up in any team based game. To know how to shot call, you must first know whats the enemy team is composed of, what your team is composed of, what map youre playing on, your advantages and disadvantages and plan accordingly

As said by Sun Tzu himself

"If you know the enemy and yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not your enemy, for every victory you shall suffer a defeat.

2.) Use the commands at the bottom righthand corner of your screen

- self explanatory. Use the commands at the bottom right to communicate to the team and let them know key factors such as which base to cap (in supremacy) and your reload time. It can also be used as a way of saying "yes" and "no" through affirmative and negative.

3.) If possible, use "<<<<<" and ">>>>>" as general direction on where your team should head out to

- saying which direction where the team should go is needed. "all right/left" and "x tank go right/left" should work as well. This gives a simple idea on where teammates should head out to, especially those who are unsure of where they should go but knows how to make do of their tanks.

4.) Knowing game terms, when to say said terms and how to use them whenever possible

- "LT spot", "MT flank", "TDs fire" and "heavies hold" are just examples of said terms used by shot callers in blitz. Knowing these terms are crucial for a lot clutch moments in blitz.

5.) Coordinate, Coordinate, Coordinate

- last but not least, coordinate. Just because youre the one calling shots does not mean you have to do your own thing after calling it. 

Just a quick summary

Know your tank

Know your team's tanks and their playstyle

Know the enemy's tanks and their respective playstyle

Know the battlefield

Call the shots accordingly to the situation

Coordinate with the (decent enough) members of the team that are willing to cooperate

If the situation calls dire, call another shot, act upon it

If you lose because of the team, try again

If you win due to it, good for you, try again

Only experience will determine if your shots are effective or not. Not so good? Try knowing more about the game. Decent enough? Try getting even better at it. Really good? Lets top it up a notch and try it in a tournament. Who knows, maybe you'll get to a winning international tournament due to it. 

Now thats all said and done, may you have good luck and great shots be wished upon you, commanders o7

+ 1. I usually make calls based on map and meta, tank types, their expected role, and the particular capabilities of each particular tank.

Also adding, sometimes the unorthodox works. Just don't do the same thing twice lest the reds wisen up.

"Fight to fly, fly to fight, FIGHT TO WIN!" - U.S Navy Fighter Weapons School TOPGUN.

"Nothing is right in tactics. A good fighter pilot must be free to propose improvements to his tactics or he will get himself killed." - Cmdr. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, USN.

"To be a good fighter pilot, there's only one prime requisite; Think Fast, and Act Faster" - John Trevor Godfrey, 336 Sqn RAF

Esh11 #8 Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:52 PM

First Lieutenant

• 36118 battles
  • [NO0BS]

View PostNeb10k, on 12 January 2018 - 03:55 AM, said:

Lightning- good description.

I would add a concept “When not to call”.

For me it’s when I know there is a better player (know most of them or the clans). Then I shut up and follow, especially it lower tier. Skyd from storm and the grump players are good examples. Sometimes the calls are not what I would think, but they win. Clearly they know stuff I don’t.

What I hate is the opposite -e.g. 500 gamers suggesting to cap base on maps where you need to thin teams before cap will win.

When I see this I ask the player to refrain from calling until they reach 5000 games (I.e lose interest and go away, or get some skills). I try to explain that the game is complex.

yeh Skyd is a solid player . Have come across him in a few games in which he obviously carried his team . Also never listen to anyone from that noob grumpy clan .

Joy_127 #9 Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:24 AM

First Lieutenant

• 55084 battles
  • [-IQ-]
I barely get 1-2 sec to even see what side of the map I'm in. Practically no time to tell teammates what they might do. 

Arakasy #10 Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:40 AM

Sergeant

• 14126 battles
  • [R1]

The “this is a go left map” attitude spins me out a bit... same as the “rush into hill”

omg be flexible it’s a war game lol

Noobieman #11 Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:57 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 21000 battles
  • [AVSW]

View PostArakasy, on 13 January 2018 - 03:40 PM, said:

The “this is a go left map” attitude spins me out a bit... same as the “rush into hill”

omg be flexible it’s a war game lol

you prefer the simple: "Rush left side up the hill".  The > & < seem to be faithfully followed.

Arakasy #12 Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:36 AM

Sergeant

• 14126 battles
  • [R1]
I would prefer the team reads the game... 6 HT on other side... ok our one heavy should not go in solo against all that... but they do, constantly. And we not talking heading in to find a defensive position until the flank turns..: no no no..., same thing with lights... a whole team of lights needs to be fast and agile not charge head first into a peak a boom match against a heavyweight team.

Arakasy #13 Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:38 AM

Sergeant

• 14126 battles
  • [R1]

I’d like to point out that my calls are not always correct.

no one ever is... but I’ll fight tooth and claw either way.

just sitting there watching your team die cause you didn’t want to go the way the team went is not on.

abcrl123 #14 Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:30 AM

First Lieutenant

• 31587 battles
  • [STORM]

Good information posted and hopefully noted by those who are not clear what those in game messages mean. 

I can only hope that we can all play well in spite of our team and not just because we have a good team. That kind of attitude would make it easier to play and less of a stressful encounter.

'What do you do with a tiger 1 once you caught it?  .... Bring it home and stuff it!'

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users