In-Game Racism - where do we draw the line ?

Racism

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Creighton_Abrams #1 Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:08 PM

First Lieutenant

• 22048 battles
  • [XYZ_1]

WG has a number of online games, so must surely have had to dealt with this question before - though it does seem elusive upon how so...

If players dish out racist abuse to other players, even on their own side... how can this be handled effectively ? 

Personally I would like to see WG taking a more assertive stance..

Any opinions ?

Edited by Creighton_Abrams, 01 September 2017 - 01:54 AM.

Creighton_Abrams #2 Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:10 PM

First Lieutenant

• 22048 battles
  • [XYZ_1]
Hopefully WG will take action,.

Edited by Creighton_Abrams, 01 September 2017 - 01:52 AM.

Creighton_Abrams #3 Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:13 PM

First Lieutenant

• 22048 battles
  • [XYZ_1]

The in-game Appraisals is not the answer... it simply hands onto a plate free Racial abuse to those players without any justification or recourse.

Creighton_Abrams #4 Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:22 PM

First Lieutenant

• 22048 battles
  • [XYZ_1]

Time, I think to use Twitter, and other Social Media to draw attention to this.

Destroyer123_defender #5 Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:31 PM

Captain

• 9934 battles
  • [MUSIC]

View PostCreighton_Abrams, on 31 August 2017 - 08:22 PM, said:

Time, I think to use Twitter, and other Social Media to draw attention to this.

It draws the negative site the most sire. The negative site of the people are depressed keyboard warriors that will not utter a single positive word from them. Wonder what's the issue. I have to ask. "Y u hesh to be mad?"

:trollface:

Creighton_Abrams #6 Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:44 PM

First Lieutenant

• 22048 battles
  • [XYZ_1]

Well... I was thinking that, however, given that I am the only non-Japanese in a Japanese only Clan.... I appreciate the racism that they receive from other off shore clans.

However, there is also an inshore clan battle between themselves (similar to others) which takes a turn for the worse when they know you're not a native....

So, Yes, when I hear people shout out "Black Lives matter", as a White-ish person , I understand their situation more-so when being on the receiving end of this blatent racism that WG does not wish to curtail. To me, it seems WG is supporting the underlying Racist agenda..  

For example, I had one game, in which I had a non-stop tirade of abuse from my own team, even though I was leading the game, it became so annoying I was distracted and ended up loosing it.. so they gave me an inactive in battle appraisal, even though I had the max HP within the team... that, is how serious this matter has become. I would like to see those persons named and shamed in Court, and see that they loose their Jobs as a result or their Education curtailed. Nothing else, would seems to put a stop to this harassment.  Unless of course, WG actually supports it.. ? Do they ?

Creighton_Abrams #7 Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:46 PM

First Lieutenant

• 22048 battles
  • [XYZ_1]
Radical thoughts.. but.. racism is racism.

Arakasy #8 Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:13 PM

Sergeant

• 15598 battles
  • [R1]

Quite simple, take the time to save a screenshot and report through the support/ my ticket area.

I have reported several people for the language used...

for some reason people like to call others monkey ?  like roflmao I may be a noobian but damn I ain't no monkey.

LoneReaper #9 Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:58 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 26798 battles
  • [MECH]
WG doesn't give a shit. I have seen some pretty serious offences and haven't seen a single ban yet. It is only rumour that they take action against players.

abrasol #10 Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:52 AM

Sergeant

• 7425 battles
  • [AUC]
First of all you have to make the difference between racism and nationalism... Because, clearly they do not accept any other asians either, in the same way as they do not accept other "races". So it is in fact NOT racism, but nationalism. And hence, you can neither call it racism, nor  proclaim it as such, nor make appeal to anti-racist measures against it. Now, if this or similar "nationalistic" attitude, behaviour and policies in this game is an issue, (in)acceptable behaviour or inadmissible, that is another question. But firstly it has to be seen and understood as what it actually is.

The_Gaffer #11 Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:23 AM

Captain

• 53801 battles
  • [SHIRE]

I don't think Wargaming really care, be it racism, nationalism, sexism or anything else, unless it creates a significant PR problem (appears in media that draws enough attention). 

I say this because I have reported players with really bad names (racial slurs, Nazi stuff, etc) and received the generic "we will look into it" response and they are all still in the game, months later, names unchanged.

Evidence of racism? How about a player name of "[edited]_stole_my_tank"? Don't think that name's offensive? Well, neither do Wargaming. I know, because I've drawn their attention to it and got the familiar platitudes and lack of action.     

Haha! They edit the name here on the forum but allow it in game, even when it's been reported! Gotta laugh.

Want "Nazi" in your player name? All good. They don't follow up on those either. 

But try having a few repeated underscores and they will. :D 

Edited by Sgt_Elias, 01 September 2017 - 03:24 AM.

"It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish."

Arakasy #12 Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:49 PM

Sergeant

• 15598 battles
  • [R1]

Three times I have reported hate/racism filled messages after a game.

Three times I've had a banner appear at top of screen at login saying

"We have taken action against a player you reported"

I do wish that they confirmed the name of individual involved... but seen as though I limit my reporting to very severe cases I know who they were.

LoneReaper #13 Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:39 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 26798 battles
  • [MECH]
As I said they don't give a flying f#@k but good point Sgt if it causes a PR issue then they will likely take action then though bar the SIR FOCH incident I don't recall any others and have definitely never officially seen or heard of a ban in game

Also tagged with Racism

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users