Does Platooning help ? But who ?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Creighton_Abrams #1 Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:59 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 14146 battles
  • [XYZ_1]

When I platoon with someone either my WR goes down, or the person I've platooned with is really so good that they single-handily run the show for the whole team and win.

So my question.

What do you expect from Platooning and how do you think it makes you better ? Or what do you do, that make you think, it's worthwhile ?

InvisibleShadow #2 Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:44 AM

First Lieutenant

• 9253 battles
  • [ASFOW]

Creighton please accept my platoon invites, you say that platooning with you would pull my WR down but please have more confidence in yourself...:)

Regarding your post, I expect a more fun and social game experience while platooning with someone, where u can rage together, discuss those epic moments and wonderful moments with your plat mate. It's worthwhile as it it enhances your game experience and makes you more motivated to play the game. It makes you enjoy the game more. Of course, spending time in training rooms is an alternative to make you enjoy the game more but nothing beats platooning, where you fight alongside a friend, die together and save one another :)

%5Burl=http://wotbstars.com...peg[/img][/url]

fjvhk #3 Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:59 AM

Corporal

• 23279 battles
  • [ARMD]

View PostCreighton_Abrams, on 04 June 2017 - 12:59 AM, said:

When I platoon with someone either my WR goes down, or the person I've platooned with is really so good that they single-handily run the show for the whole team and win.

I was wondering the same. Probably platooning requires a different approach to solo play. So when you start off platooning youre climbing another learning curve and until you and platoon mate develop coordination it takes a while to be effective. Running around solo you can think and act more independantly.

Logically if a single player can have an effect on the outcome of a battle then a platoon should have an even more pronounced effect. Thats probably why MM balances platoons on opposing sides.

jingkailim37 #4 Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:23 AM

Private

• 11977 battles
  • [FIEND]

View PostInvisibleShadow, on 04 June 2017 - 06:44 AM, said:

Creighton please accept my platoon invites, you say that platooning with you would pull my WR down but please have more confidence in yourself...:)

Regarding your post, I expect a more fun and social game experience while platooning with someone, where u can rage together, discuss those epic moments and wonderful moments with your plat mate. It's worthwhile as it it enhances your game experience and makes you more motivated to play the game. It makes you enjoy the game more. Of course, spending time in training rooms is an alternative to make you enjoy the game more but nothing beats platooning, where you fight alongside a friend, die together and save one another :)

Well said lol

erwin10001 #5 Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:41 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 16132 battles
  • [SEALZ]
I've encountered Creighton in 2 games in red team playing KV-2.  I would say that KV-2 is not the best tank in which to learn teamwork with your platoonmate.

The_Blackclaw #6 Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:41 AM

Corporal

• 30136 battles
  • [GRUMP]
I recommend you never platoon! Also never watch any of the YouTube videos on how to play the game! And most importantly do not do any internet searches on the benefits of platooning. 

Creighton_Abrams #7 Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:44 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 14146 battles
  • [XYZ_1]

Good points raised by all.  So far, my approach to platooning is simply asking another Clan member to join a game so that we can rack up some Clan Supply points, or more generally work towards a Mission Goal that requires platoon involvement. As for the Gameplay, I agree with fjvhk, that if you platoon often with the same person,  and have training room practice matches, discuss strategies and do some post game analysis then it's certainly going to be worthwhile and beneficial.

SonderAbteilung #8 Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:43 PM

First Lieutenant

• 36202 battles
  • [ASFOW]

View PostCreighton_Abrams, on 11 June 2017 - 09:44 PM, said:

Good points raised by all.  So far, my approach to platooning is simply asking another Clan member to join a game so that we can rack up some Clan Supply points, or more generally work towards a Mission Goal that requires platoon involvement. As for the Gameplay, I agree with fjvhk, that if you platoon often with the same person,  and have training room practice matches, discuss strategies and do some post game analysis then it's certainly going to be worthwhile and beneficial.

well I believe,  when you platoon, you have couple views on how to handle the situations and in what kind of tanks you are platooning . 

1st. When you platoon , you have 1 extra trusted player in your 5 others team instead of 6. So that does count. 

2nd. When you are lowest tier platoon , use your higher tier at your advantage  (I know this might sound bad, but be real) .

3rd. Be individual and allow your skill to develop into the game. Don't really rely on your toon mates help, but rely more on your toon mate assessment of the situation.  

4th. Be ready to understand that when your toon mate need help, and you know you cannot help him. Do not go help, instead use his last stand to make as lot as damage as possible.  

5th. Understand yourself that you might or will sacrifice yourself killing the most dangerous unicum red team player. To save your toon and team. 

6th. If you die, still support toon mate with saying this tank is 1 shot. This tank afk. This tank n oob . 

7th. Make clear from begin . Is this a full equipped tank? Full crew xp tank? Do I use booster? Do I like supremacy ?  Etc... 

8th. Trust your platoon mate doing the right situation assessment,  even sometimes it is not. Take out all the positives from it. (Spotting, damage done,etc..) 

9th. Even with platoon your wr will go up. If you all follow what I mentioned. Communication is the most important.  

Basically,  sometimes I do bad or my toon mate do bad decisions depending on the situation.  However it is better for you to understand each tanks values and what a smart player will do. I believe the most important in platoon is to stay alive for the first 2~3 min. After couple tanks being destroyed platoons can make their performance shy and make the game turn into their winnings. The best way is to platoon with tanks you are good in it and that you know your  platoon mate tank and it's capacities. Also listen to your platoon mate, which tank he is concentrating on . Help him/her if possible.  Listen and share communication on relaod (specific for auto loaders ) love is 6 and is 3 d combo. For me I always assume red tanks bad need to kill, green tanks if help ok, if not use green tanks to eat red tanks shot and stay alive shoot red tanks. I always try to protect my tank first. Because i cannot trust others. And when you cannot win , run. Stay alive. With toon mate helping you and have same mind as you this will make it more fun. 

Please platoon with platoon professor aka dark exile... this guy know his stuff. Learned a lot from him. And managed to gain mutual respect even though he is a super unicum and I m just a meh meh player. 

Edited by SonderAbteilung, 07 July 2017 - 02:25 PM.

" BRIGADE PIRON"  First Belgian group (1940~1945)

-All Governments Lies...I.F. Stone (1907~89)-

The_Blackclaw #9 Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:35 PM

Corporal

• 30136 battles
  • [GRUMP]

View PostSonderAbteilung, on 11 June 2017 - 08:43 PM, said:

Basically,  sometimes I do shit or my toon mate do shit decisions depending on the situation.  However it is better for you to understand each tanks values and what a smart player will do. I believe the most important in platoon is to stay alive for the first 2~3 min. After couple tanks being destroyed platoons can make their performance shy and make the game turn into their winnings. The best way is to platoon with tanks you are good in it and that you know your  platoon mate tank and it's capacities. Also listen to your platoon mate, which tank he is concentrating on . Help him/her if possible.  Listen and share communication on relaod (specific for auto loaders ) love is 6 and is 3 d combo. For me I always assume red tanks bad need to kill, green tanks if help ok, if not use green tanks to eat red tanks shot and stay alive shoot red tanks. I always try to protect my tank first. Because i cannot trust others. And when you cannot win , run. Stay alive. With toon mate helping you and have same mind as you this will make it more fun. 

Please platoon with platoon professor aka dark exile... this guy know his shit. Learned a lot from him. And managed to gain mutual respect even though he is a super unicum and I m just a meh meh player. 

Good points, but why do you have to swear? You know this forum is full of children. Or maybe you don't care? 

GreenFace #10 Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:33 PM

Sergeant

• 2652 battles
  • [MOMFU]

View PostCreighton_Abrams, on 03 June 2017 - 11:59 PM, said:

What do you expect from Platooning and how do you think it makes you better ? Or what do you do, that make you think, it's worthwhile ?

May I ask you first?

Did you mean "Platooning", or "two or more solo players playing together in one team"?

[MOMFU] Enter The M.O.M

The Official M.O.M clan branch on Asia server

Join our M.O.Mradier here

As seen on Youtube Channel

Diamond114 #11 Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:37 PM

Captain

• 14181 battles
  • [408]

View PostGreenFace, on 19 June 2017 - 10:33 PM, said:

May I ask you first?

Did you mean "Platooning", or "two or more solo players playing together in one team"?

Basically, yeah. Two individual players forming a team, two sets of brains, two pairs of eyes, hand and ears working as one is clearly beneficial and advantageous than two players in a team doing their own thing.

"Fight to fly, fly to fight, FIGHT TO WIN!" - U.S Navy Fighter Weapons School TOPGUN

"Nothing is right in tactics. A good fighter pilot must be free to propose improvements to his tactics or he will get himself killed." - Cmdr. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, USN

Adapt and overcome, there's no such thing as a bad tank, only bad drivers, bad teams, and bad luck

GreenFace #12 Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:05 AM

Sergeant

• 2652 battles
  • [MOMFU]

View PostDiamond114, on 19 June 2017 - 09:37 PM, said:

working as one is clearly beneficial and advantageous than two players in a team doing their own thing.

Yeah, that's what I implied :) . Platooning isn't always teamworking, and teamworking isn't always platooning. That's why every platoon would always train their teamworking first before they're going to war.

Edited by GreenFace, 20 June 2017 - 05:05 AM.

[MOMFU] Enter The M.O.M

The Official M.O.M clan branch on Asia server

Join our M.O.Mradier here

As seen on Youtube Channel

Gandalf_Stormcrow #13 Posted 22 June 2017 - 03:00 AM

Captain

• 50074 battles
  • [GRUMP]

Hi, Creighton. 

The allure of platooning, for me, is having someone you "know" with you, which enhances the fun factor, in theory (more on that later). I will admit to also feeling more confident when I have someone with me. 

It can improve your win-rate but it's not as much of an advantage as it once was, back before the MatchMaker matched you up with a (usually) similar (tier and perhaps some other criteria) platoon on the enemy team. These days, if you and/or your platoon mate are not that strong in the tier/tanks you select, it can be more difficult, as the enemy team's platoon may well be strong. Also if stats are important to you, know that stat sites like wotbstars penalise you for having a high platoon rate. 

I can only speak for myself but I have found that, since the change, playing solo seems easier than in a platoon at times, as though the opposition is less strong (which they well might be, if they don't have a platoon). There is a topic here on the forum about that, with relevance to playing in tier 10, in which the general concencus is that solo is easier because you have a better chance of not seeing a unicum platoon on the enemy team - or, if you do, that you might have one on your team too. I can see the logic in this and I agree. Unless you are in a strong platoon for the given tier, if winning is your goal, you're better off solo. This is true in most tiers.

There are other "downsides" to platooning, some of which you touched on. If your platoon mate is very good, you could well learn by observing how they play, but it will mean you will likely do less damage and get fewer kills than if you were solo (assuming you can play a bit). Even if they are equally as capable as you are, it will still mean sharing the damage and kills. For this reason, some players avoid platooning, as they don't like what it does to their stats. Certainly, I have found that, if I want an Ace Mastery, for example, I am better off playing solo to get it. I get them in platoons but the frequency is far lower as my platoon mates tend to be better than I am. :) 

The "social" benefit of a platoon can be tricky though. It's not much fun to have a platoon mate rage quit the platoon because you lost too many times for their liking (could even be only once, in my experience). That adds pressure that negates the fun, so I tend to avoid it by having a small group of platoon mates who know my abilities and don't expect more than I am capable of. Yes, that means playing in the lower tiers where I don't suck so much, but I am committed to playing this game for fun, not to impress strangers.

That all sounds rather boring to me. To put it in simpler terms, having a regular platoon mate show up online and join you, knowing you will have fun and probably win most of your battles, goes a long way towards reducing the frustration inherent in the game. 

Kabama04 #14 Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:11 AM

Sergeant

• 9815 battles
  • [LTEVL]

I reckon the Matchmaker intentionally makes platoon battles harder to win, since there is the chance of coordination through voice chat or somthin, and if you don’t notice the MM does its best to put you in a game with other platooners

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users