How to be a unicum - ultimate guide.

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Repuplic_Thunderstreak #1 Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:11 PM

Sergeant

• 27237 battles
  • [_IR_]

Hey people,

I have made this guide to show you the basic game mechanics. I will only post one bit each day so please be patient.

1. Spotting. What is view range? View range is a perimeter in vehicle specifications that shows the maximum distance you can spot an enemy vehicle. Typically, this is 220-240 meters at low tier and 250-270 meters at high tier. You can increase the view range by up to 30 meters just by using chocolate/pudding and tea/combat rations and up to 100 meters using binoculars or coated optics. This helps a lot as it means you will spot the enemy before they spot you. So, a TD will be able to get a shot off and then take cover, before it gets spotted and hit. A medium will be able to spot a heavy before it takes a massive hit from the heavy's big gun and so on. Longer view range helps.

If you are in a close brawler tank (IS7, Maus) You will not need more than the basic view range. If you are in a sniper TD or a scouting medium (grille 15, leopard 1) then view range is a big bonus. How do I spot enemies and how do they spot me? Your vehicle has many observation devices/viewports (used to spot enemies) and checkpoints (used to spot you). Most tanks have a spot on the gun mantlet and one on the top of the turret to spot the enemies. You also have a checkpoint at the very front, very back and both sides of your tank. If there is a line that can be drawn between your checkpoint and an enemy viewport than they will spot you. If your viewport has a line drawn to an enemy checkpoint than you spot them. If you two both expose your viewports and checkpoints than you will both be spotted. So how to use this in battle? Turn the turret to the front when rounding a corner to spot the enemies at the same time as they spot you. Turn your turret to the front and poke your nose over a hill to spot the enemies as they spot you. Tempting as it may seem to pull the turret to the side to be able to shoot as soon as you round the corner, it gives the enemy an extra two seconds to shoot you.

2. Camouflage. Camouflage is commonly shortened to camo or said as concealment by WG. This is the factor that determines how easy it is for the enmies to spot your tank. There are values in percentages, that are not listed in tank stats. A quick look on the WG wiki or on a world of tanks guide may help you find the value for a particular tank. So here is my example. Let's make up a tank that has 10% concealment when stationary, 5% and 1% when shooting. The formula for calculating the distance at which your tank will be spotted is simply view range minus camo value. So a tier 10 medium with 260 meters view range will spot my fictional tank, when stationary, at a distance of 234 meters but will spot me at 257.4 meters when I shoot.

This means, if you are trying to stay hidden as a scout do not fire unless necessary. If you are a TD, make sure you make your shot count, make sure it hits and makes them feel it, before pulling into cover. The third value, is camo when moving. Some tanks, namely small mediums, have nearly the same camo when moving as stationary, such as an object 140, 16% when still and 13% when moving. Light tanks however, have the same camo value whether they are stationary or moving.

So how do I improve my camo if I am a scout or sniper TD? Painting camo onto the tank gives you a small bonus, 2,3 or 4% depending on your vehicle class. This can actually make a difference so spend those credits and gold. A camo net is very unecessary for a scout as it takes 5 seconds to activate and sitting still in a medium is not a good idea - especially on small maps. However, a sniper TD will want to sit in a bush and stay hidden, hopefully not moving its hull to reset the camo. Crew mastery boosters, (chocolate, pudding and tea, combat rations, improved ventilation) will also improve your camo. Another way to improve camo is to train the camouflage crew skill. Use a tank destroyer with 100% crew to train the crew skill to level 6. Why? Because it gives you a 18% boost to camo which is insane. However, you do need 900-2500 games in a Tank Destroyer with 100% crew to train to level 6 so it may take a while

So, if you are an E100 and your role is to get in their faces then you do not need to stay hidden, do not bother with wasting credits or gold to put camo on your tank and do not waste a equipment slot putting on a camo net. However, a grille 15 sniping with camo net, camo paint, chocolate and ventilation will add up to 30% to its concealment value, on top of it's 15%.This means, with 45% camo value, a Obj140 with 260 meters view range, will need to get to 143 meters to spot the grille 15.  

3. Armour penetration with AP and APCR. Every shell type, on every gun, has a different amount of penetration. This is listed in the vehicle specifications. For example, the Maus gun has 246 penetration with AP but it has 311 with APCR. I will make a post about HE and HEAT separately as they are a very different shell type. So how does AP and APCR penetrate armour? When a shell strikes armour the first calculation happens. The angle is first taken into account. If it strikes at a 70 degree angle or greater is will ricochet. If the ricochet does not happen the next calculation is done - penetration power and effective armour thickness. Lets say the ISU-152 (BL10) APCR round hits the angled upper plate of the IS7. The angle of the upper plate is extreme so the 150mm thick armour actually requires 330mm of penetration. The shell hits the armour and 327mm of penetration is not enough to get through the 330mm thick armour. However, the APCR round has 2 degrees of normalisation so it pulls the shell further towards a right angle, dropping the effective armour to 325mm. Now the 327mm of penetration punches right through the front of the IS7 causing damage. Now, AP rounds have 5 degrees of normalisation so, if we take a FV215b 183 and use it's AP round against the side of a VK45.02B (100mm). The shell hits at a 69 degree angle (as close to ricochet as it can get) and, the 100mm of armour is 314mm effective. Our gun only has 310 pen so it is a bounce right? Nope. The AP round normalises by 5 degrees and now, we only need to pen 309mm of armour. Boom. 930dmg. RIP VK. 

APCR on most tanks is just a better AP round. APCR has higher velocity meaning you can hit fast moving light tanks with less target lead and APCR also has more pen. However, on tanks with similar pen, such as a Maus (311 pen with APCR) and a FV215b 183 (310 pen with AP) shooting at, lets say the front of another Maus. The Maus upper plate gets 315mm effective armour (I made it up). So the Maus APCR hits the other Maus, normalises 2 degrees and then still has to pen 313mm. It bounces. However, the 183mm AP round hits the Maus, normalises 5 degrees and only has to pen 309mm of armour. It goes through and does damage. That is why the 183mm AP round doesn't struggle against angled armour like most APCR rounds.

However, please remember these:

-Penetration has a -25% and +25% randomness.This means the 183mm AP round can only pen 233mm if it low rolls but 387mm if it high rolls.

-If a shell caliber is two times the armour thickness (without angle, just the thickness), say a 130mm shell against a 60mm piece of armour, it will normalise 7 degrees, reducing the effective armour thickness by a very small amount.

-If a shell caliber is three times the armour thickness (say 130mm shell VS 40mm roof) it will go through, regardless of angle as it cannot ricochet. This is why big guns usually go straight through roof armour.

Edited by Repuplic_Thunderstreak, 19 April 2017 - 01:46 AM.

The best player in the Jagdtiger by far.

Repuplic_Thunderstreak #2 Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:29 PM

Sergeant

• 27237 battles
  • [_IR_]

Things to avoid doing: 

1. Target fixation. This happens a lot, especially with the narrow field of view in sniper mode. For example, I am in a leopard, I have flanked the enemy and change into sniper view to shoot at the sides of a juicy IS7. I do not look at my surroundings and a FV215b 183 gets a clean shot into my rear with HE. RIP me. To avoid this happening simply look at the minimap or switch back to arcade mode when you are reloading to have a look around. 

2. Assuming there are no enemies in a certain area. Whether you are an IS7 who turns a corner and eats three massive hits, or a Centurion who goes off into the hills on desert sands by himself and gets wolfpack by 3 mediums, if you want to avoid this happening to you there are many options. Make sure you are situationally aware. Look at the minimap or use arcade mode to see where the enemies are. For example, on middleburg, if your heavies are in the city and have spotted 6 enemies then you might be able to, drive your Obj140, through the hills and attack their rear because, the only unspotted enemy, is a tier 9 medium tank and you should be able to kill him 1v1. Corners. Turning a corner is always dangerous. Especially when the entire enemy team is unspotted. Instead of driving around the corner and wishing for luck, try a sidescrape if you are in a heavy. This will help you to spot the enemy and they will have a hard time damaging you. If you are in a medium, because your side armour is weak, you may only want to poke the front half of your tank around a corner. This means you cannot spot the enemy but it will get you spotted if there are any enemies around the corner as well as making it hard for the enemies to hit you.

3. Overextending. It is tempting to rush in a fast tank, or push right into the doorsteps of the enemy base in a Maus but the team cannot support you. Make sure your TDs can cover you, make sure your team is following before you rush and make sure you will meet no more than 1 enemy if you are going to rush a flank by yourself.

THINGS TO DO:

1. Sidescrape. Sidescraping is when a tank drives up to a wall, rock or dead tank and slowly reverses out, hiding their front and giviing the enemy a very sharp angle at their side armour, doubling or even tripling the effective side armour. The only place you can shoot is the commanders hatch or turret cheek and, at long range, it is pretty effective. Sidescraping is pretty easy in itself however, different vehicles need different techniques. With an E75 or E100 you just drive up and reverse out. However, with an IS8, IS7, T29 or any tank with a front turret you need to drive up, turn around and drive out forwards instead of reversing out. Or you can just reverse into the wall/rock. This is because if you want to do a normal sidescrape with a front turret you will expose three quarters of your tank, giving the enemies ample time to shoot HE or blow your tracks off and slowly aim for the hatch. Generally rear turrets are the best side scrapers as you can pull out at a shallower angle. However, mid turret tanks can do it just fine even though you will need to pull out at a steeper angle, exposing more of your side. This is fine with a E75 or E100 as their side armour is strong but a T110E5 will stuggle to get the right angle.

2. Know your tank like the back of your hand. No, you don't need to play 16,400 games in it like me, you can just spend 5 minutes memorising the stats before your first game. Know the armour, can any tank pen your rear with HE? Can any tank pen your front? Can your turret hold well hull down? Where are your weakspots and how to hide them? Memorise the gun stats also, is it a long reload, high alpha gun? If yes than make each shot count, even if you need to aim for 10 seconds. Is it a fast reload, low alpha gun? If yes take a shot at every opportunity, if it hits then good, if it misses you only need to wait a few seconds for another chance.

3. Mount the correct equipment. Wargaming wiki is a good source. A camo net on a E100 is a joke. So is a spar liner on a SP IC. Choose equipment to minimise your weaknesses or boost your advantages. On a TD, use equipment, like gun laying drive and gun rammer, to boost the gun. On a Maus, use a spar liner to minimise the damage annoyed players will do with HE. On a leopard use binoculars and a camo net to make your mobile sniper to be able to stay hidden and spot players before they spot you.

READ: I gave up writing this because of all the saltiness. Why not let our genius, low tier stat paddling, FEAST clan leader, copy and paste the entire game mechanics page and make a new thread because I am not good enough?

Edited by Repuplic_Thunderstreak, 19 April 2017 - 02:21 AM.

SonderAbteilung #3 Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:58 PM

First Lieutenant

• 34465 battles
  • [FOW]

View PostRepuplic_Thunderstreak, on 27 March 2017 - 08:29 AM, said:

2. Camouflage. Camouflage is commonly shortened to camo or said as concealment by WG. This is the factor that determines how easy it is for the enmies to spot your tank. There are values in percentages, that are not listed in tank stats. A quick look on the WG wiki or on a world of tanks guide may help you find the value for a particular tank. So here is my example. Let's make up a tank that has 10% concealment when stationary, 5% and 1% when shooting. The formula for calculating the distance at which your tank will be spotted is simply view range minus camo value. So a tier 10 medium with 260 meters view range will spot my fictional tank, when stationary, at a distance of 234 meters but will spot me at 257.4 meters when I shoot. This means, if you are trying to stay hidden as a scout do not fire unless necessary. If you are a TD, make sure you make your shot count, make sure it hits and makes them feel it, before pulling into cover. The third value, is camo when moving. Some tanks, namely small mediums, have nearly the same camo when moving as stationary, such as an object 140, 16% when still and 13% when moving. Light tanks however, have the same camo value whether they are stationary or moving. So how do I improve my camo if I am a scout or sniper TD? Painting camo onto the tank gives you a small bonus, 2,3 or 4% depending on your vehicle class. This can actually make a difference so spend those credits and gold. A camo net is very unecessary for a scout as it takes 5 seconds to activate and sitting still in a medium is not a good idea - especially on small maps. However, a sniper TD will want to sit in a bush and stay hidden, hopefully not moving its hull to reset the camo. Crew mastery boosters, (chocolate, pudding and tea, combat rations, improved ventilation) will also improve your camo. So, if you are an E100 and your role is to get in their faces then you do not need to stay hidden, do not bother with wasting credits or gold to put camo on your tank and do not waste a equipment slot putting on a camo net. However, a grille 15 sniping with camo net, camo paint, chocolate and ventilation will add up to 30% to its concealment value, on top of it's 15%.This means, with 45% camo value, a Obj140 with 260 meters view range, will need to get to 143 meters to spot the grille 15.  

You forgot 2 things mate. 

1) crew skills. Get your crew skills the highest as possible,  with camo skill level 6 of td crew skills it gives you 18% extra on the current tank camo value. 

2) getting your crew 100% asap. Like that you will be able to enjoy all crew skills at all unlocked level for all types of vehicles.  Example. A 100% crew of lttb will be able to enjoy the 18% camo increase of crew skills level 6 of the td line and that will add on the lttb camo increase.  

" BRIGADE PIRON"  First Belgian group (1940~1945)

-All Governments Lies...I.F. Stone (1907~89)-

Repuplic_Thunderstreak #4 Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:24 AM

Sergeant

• 27237 battles
  • [_IR_]

View PostSonderAbteilung, on 27 March 2017 - 09:58 AM, said:

1) crew skills. Get your crew skills the highest as possible,  with camo skill level 6 of td crew skills it gives you 18% extra on the current tank camo value. 

2) getting your crew 100% asap. Like that you will be able to enjoy all crew skills at all unlocked level for all types of vehicles.  Example. A 100% crew of lttb will be able to enjoy the 18% camo increase of crew skills level 6 of the td line and that will add on the lttb camo increase.  

Fixed bro. Thanks.

Vankey99 #5 Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:54 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 19457 battles
  • [EAT]

View PostSonderAbteilung, on 26 March 2017 - 11:58 PM, said:

Uhmm, don't we get that camouflage advantage regardless of the crew skill of the tank I'm in? Isn't the 100% needed only for maximising the crew in that tank and for training the crew skills of that type?

Just checked, got the view range advantage when all allies dead, went into training room with my 78crew sturer

Edited by Vankey99, 27 March 2017 - 01:56 AM.

Repuplic_Thunderstreak #6 Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:27 AM

Sergeant

• 27237 battles
  • [_IR_]

View PostVankey99, on 27 March 2017 - 11:54 AM, said:

Uhmm, don't we get that camouflage advantage regardless of the crew skill of the tank I'm in? Isn't the 100% needed only for maximising the crew in that tank and for training the crew skills of that type?

Just checked, got the view range advantage when all allies dead, went into training room with my 78crew sturer

I will reclarifiy my info. Sorry for messy typing.

shootinsai #7 Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:06 AM

Corporal

• 38731 battles
  • [FOW]
I like this thread!

Dark_Exile_ #8 Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:18 AM

Captain

• 19196 battles
  • [UQ]

How to become a uniucm guide?

1. Become an overall uniucm before writing said post :p

DEPUTY COMMANDER OF "UQ HOLDER!" ||| AUSTRALIA 

If you have any concerns regarding the game or reports of AFK players, send a PM with uncensored evidence and it'll be passed on. :)

Maddoxkkm #9 Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:34 AM

Captain

• 24133 battles
  • [FEAST]

How to be a unicum:

play the same tank over and over again

then write in your signature "best player in blah blah blah tank by far"

Edited by Maddoxkkm, 27 March 2017 - 09:34 AM.

- Clan Commander of Fiercest South-East Asian Tanker [FEAST] & Supreme Leader of the FEAST Union

The Mod Page MadWoTBMods 

- "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. " ~Winston Churchill

Dark_Exile_ #10 Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:36 AM

Captain

• 19196 battles
  • [UQ]

View PostMaddoxkkm, on 27 March 2017 - 08:34 PM, said:

How to be a unicum:

Lol

DEPUTY COMMANDER OF "UQ HOLDER!" ||| AUSTRALIA 

If you have any concerns regarding the game or reports of AFK players, send a PM with uncensored evidence and it'll be passed on. :)

Repuplic_Thunderstreak #11 Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:43 AM

Sergeant

• 27237 battles
  • [_IR_]

View PostDark_Exile_, on 27 March 2017 - 07:18 PM, said:

How to become a uniucm guide?

1. Become an overall uniucm before writing said post :p

Lol.

Repuplic_Thunderstreak #12 Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:45 AM

Sergeant

• 27237 battles
  • [_IR_]

View PostMaddoxkkm, on 27 March 2017 - 07:34 PM, said:

How to be a unicum:

I am not sure you can talk. I just checked your blitzstars WN8. 2475. Lol. And you play mostly tier 7 and 8. 

Maddoxkkm #13 Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

Captain

• 24133 battles
  • [FEAST]

View PostRepuplic_Thunderstreak, on 27 March 2017 - 06:45 PM, said:

I am not sure you can talk. I just checked your blitzstars WN8. 2475. Lol. And you play mostly tier 7 and 8. 

Did i ever said my stats are good? And I play tier 7 and 8 for grinding........ and is playing tier 7 and 8 a sin?
Oh i get it

I don't play the Jagdtiger enough, so the "Jagdtiger master" doesn't think i am good enough. 

- Clan Commander of Fiercest South-East Asian Tanker [FEAST] & Supreme Leader of the FEAST Union

The Mod Page MadWoTBMods 

- "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. " ~Winston Churchill

Repuplic_Thunderstreak #14 Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:59 AM

Sergeant

• 27237 battles
  • [_IR_]

View PostMaddoxkkm, on 27 March 2017 - 08:50 PM, said:

Did i ever said my stats are good? And I play tier 7 and 8 for grinding........ and is playing tier 7 and 8 a sin?
Oh i get it

I don't play the Jagdtiger enough, so the "Jagdtiger master" doesn't think i am good enough. 

Even better. Grinding low tier and unable to achieve unicum status. Excellent skill level. P.S. I am a super unicum in every German tier 9 if you look at my 30 day stats.

Maddoxkkm #15 Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:05 AM

Captain

• 24133 battles
  • [FEAST]

And btw UNICUM Jagdtiger Master.

you messed up the concepts of Concealment and Camouflage.

Concealment: Bushes and Buildings that provide cover and conceal a tank's position so that it reduces the chances of a tank getting spotted.

Camouflage: Stuff that you paint on your tank/ Camo net that you equip on your tank to gain additional concealment values.

I would expect a player with "great" wn8 to easily distinguish between these, let alone a unicum.

The Mod Page MadWoTBMods 

shootinsai #16 Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:05 AM

Corporal

• 38731 battles
  • [FOW]

Come on guys. Don't get this thread locked?

Take golf for example. Tiger Woods used to be the best. But Jack Nicholas wasn't his coach right?

Maddoxkkm #17 Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:06 AM

Captain

• 24133 battles
  • [FEAST]

View PostRepuplic_Thunderstreak, on 27 March 2017 - 06:59 PM, said:

Even better. Grinding low tier and unable to achieve unicum status. Excellent skill level. P.S. I am a super unicum in every German tier 9 if you look at my 30 day stats.

ha. your definition of every German Tier 9 probably means Jagdtiger, Jagdtiger, Jagdtiger and Jagdtiger.

The Mod Page MadWoTBMods 

The_Crow95_ #18 Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:10 AM

Corporal

• 828 battles

View PostRepuplic_Thunderstreak, on 27 March 2017 - 06:59 PM, said:

How much you earn by becoming an unicum? 

If only for the sake of completion, you are getting played a fool by the game

Also, your so called unicum stat only jadgtiger as far as what I see in wotbstars

I was heard that blitzstar is not as reliable as wotbstars as well

Also Maddox highest average damage for one of his tier10 higher than your tier10

He earns my respect for being a skillful player+nice person

Don't add me just because you saw my ign in forum, thank you.

Maddoxkkm #19 Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:18 AM

Captain

• 24133 battles
  • [FEAST]

View PostRepuplic_Thunderstreak, on 27 March 2017 - 07:11 AM, said:

However, please remember these:

-Penetration has a -25% and +25% randomness.This means the 183mm AP round can only pen 233mm if it low rolls but 387mm if it high rolls.

-If a shell caliber is two times the armour thickness (without angle, just the thickness), say a 130mm shell against a 60mm piece of armour, it will normalise a lot more than 5 degrees. I am not entirely sure how much but I believe it is about 10 degrees.

-If a shell caliber is three times the armour thickness (say 130mm shell VS 40mm roof) it will go through, regardless of angle as it cannot ricochet. This is why big guns usually go straight through roof armour.

Another error found. Not all shell types obey these rules (except the penetration +25% -25% part).

HE never ricochets so the two caliber and three caliber rule doesn't apply.

HEAT ricochets at 85 degrees, with two caliber and three caliber rule not applying at all circumstances.

AP and APCR ricochets at 70 degrees (not taking into account normalization)

Also, there is a formula about the Two Caliber Rule. 

Spoiler

If you gotta make a post, at least do more research, not just talking stuff that is half correct 

edit: sorry for the numerical mistake, HEAT auto-ricochets at 85 degrees instead of 80

Edited by Maddoxkkm, 27 March 2017 - 11:21 AM.

The Mod Page MadWoTBMods 

Repuplic_Thunderstreak #20 Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:27 AM

Sergeant

• 27237 battles
  • [_IR_]

View PostMaddoxkkm, on 27 March 2017 - 09:05 PM, said:

And btw UNICUM Jagdtiger Master.

you messed up the concepts of Concealment and Camouflage.

Concealment: Bushes and Buildings that provide cover and conceal a tank's position so that it reduces the chances of a tank getting spotted.

Camouflage: Stuff that you paint on your tank/ Camo net that you equip on your tank to gain additional concealment values.

I would expect a player with "great" wn8 to easily distinguish between these, let alone a unicum.

I also made a comment earlier saying I was only going to talk about AP and APCR in that post. [redacted]

Insults are prohibited on the forums. Post edited, user warned.

- Dark_Exile_

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users