When a player tells you to go .. one way or another....

blitz. directions

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Creighton_Abrams #1 Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:06 PM

Sergeant

• 12130 battles
  • [XYZ_1]
When the team lead says go one way, I'd guess it would be a good idea to follow. Though, I have often seen other players doing the same - with varying results.

Is there a guide to knowing which way to turn upon a map ? or... is it all inside info ?

AdmiralAlvin #2 Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:12 PM

Corporal

• 2898 battles
  • [SEALZ]
TL;DR: never go city

Creighton_Abrams #3 Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:27 PM

Sergeant

• 12130 battles
  • [XYZ_1]

TL;DR ?

Not sure what you mean.

​If a fast tank suggests going somewhere far away, and I'm a slow newbie, or really slow TD what should I be doing ? Following like a Lemming - or be slated as a Noob ?

Creighton_Abrams #4 Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:38 PM

Sergeant

• 12130 battles
  • [XYZ_1]

P.S. Given that I've only started playing this game since November 2016, I am the ubiquitious "Novice" here... and am keen to learn from anyone who has time to teach, rather than from those who like to vent their frustration against players who they deem inferior to themselves... 

In future, assuming I can make it there.. once I've learnt the ropes, I'd gladly teach others, and ask them to join up and play as a cohesive team to play for real $. That'd be a good goal to aim for.

But that is a distraction from my question about which way to go... and how to know whether the person making the Call, is doing so, based upon information they have (insider), or if its something that can be learnt.

Th38odyguard #5 Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:59 PM

Corporal

• 8776 battles
  • [ASFOW]
The meta flows differently for each map in the game. If wargaming had their way there would be no 'one way' to go. In reality, people just want to go one way and die together. It's different for every map. For example on Oasis Palms the meta is usually to send everyone, regardless of tank type, into the dunes. Whereas on Himmelsdorf most of the fighting will happen in the train yard. The metas change sometimes but generally they'll stay the same, just takes experience and memory to know what the meta for that particular map is.

Diamond114 #6 Posted 03 February 2017 - 02:03 PM

Captain

• 13820 battles
  • [408]

View PostCreighton_Abrams, on 03 February 2017 - 08:06 PM, said:

When the team lead says go one way, I'd guess it would be a good idea to follow. Though, I have often seen other players doing the same - with varying results.

Is there a guide to knowing which way to turn upon a map ? or... is it all inside info ?

Assuming you're in a medium, if your team is heavy-laden, follow the heavies, let them push, and cover their flanks

If your team is mostly meds or with some LTs, wolfpacking is generally the way to go.

Also in maps like Rockfield which is limited to certain shooting lanes and are mostly gauntlets, do not risk a head on engagement if you think you cannot generate more firepower and do not have the armor to withstand the battering from the opposing team. In open maps like Dead Rail or Desert Sands, you could afford to flank around and thus leverage your mobility advantage even better.

As for knowing where to go on a map on a certain tank, that's all experience you have to earn. Build your gut instinct by knowing your tank, the usual patterns of where certain tanks deploy on a map, whether your tank can do the same, etc. Also being aware on certain quirks of the map, shortcuts you can use to intercept your target, knowledge on where and when someone will be exposed to fire, etc. Once you get comfortable with your gut instinct, then you can start trying to visualize what will happen if you push with a certain tank down a flank in a map, all the potential firing positions, what is the most likely tanks you will face, etc.

Once in a while, though, you can and will be wrong. No getting around it.

"Fight to fly, fly to fight, FIGHT TO WIN!" - U.S Navy Fighter Weapons School TOPGUN

"Nothing is right in tactics. A good fighter pilot must be free to propose improvements to his tactics or he will get himself killed." - Cmdr. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, USN

Adapt and overcome, there's no such thing as a bad tank, only bad drivers, bad teams, and bad luck

Creighton_Abrams #7 Posted 03 February 2017 - 02:12 PM

Sergeant

• 12130 battles
  • [XYZ_1]
I'm playing the range (as you can probably see). My question is however, is there any foresight upon direction to move given a particular map, and ... the Tanks in the opposition ? Are certain tanks more likely to be sent to a particular spawning spot than others ?

Gandalf_Stormcrow #8 Posted 03 February 2017 - 02:56 PM

Captain

• 48951 battles
  • [SHIRE]

View PostCreighton_Abrams, on 04 February 2017 - 12:12 AM, said:

I'm playing the range (as you can probably see). My question is however, is there any foresight upon direction to move given a particular map, and ... the Tanks in the opposition ? Are certain tanks more likely to be sent to a particular spawning spot than others ?

People will vary on this but I second the advice above that the fighting in Himmelsdorf is generally in the train yard, so expect most of your team to go that side and join them if they do - you don't want to be going alone on the other side unless your gut tells you it will be alright (and then, as Diamond says, you will still get it wrong sometimes). Also that Oasis Palms is most often contested in the dunes. 

In my opinion, going to the middle in Canal at the start of the battle is a bad idea, but still at least a few guys will go there, to be sniped to pieces. I hardly ever see anyone go to the middle and be successful. If most of my team goes the rail line side, we invariably win the battle. So much so that I typically call for them to go that side, no matter what tank I'm in. If their team is there, you want to have the numbers. If their team goes centre, you get to snipe them from cover. If their team went around the other side, you can wait for them and take your time advancing and picking them off if they cap.

Mostly though, if playing in tiers up to at least 5 and someone calls for a side and most of your team follows, that's usually enough reason to go, even if it seems to be the wrong choice. There is strength in numbers, even if it is actually a bad call. Unless you think you can contribute by not following, perhaps by holding up the enemy or flanking them if you feel that they will mostly all go the other side, its best to stay closer to them. 

Edited by Gandalf_Stormcrow, 03 February 2017 - 03:04 PM.

xXFighter888Xx #9 Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:08 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 19906 battles
  • [SGT-1]

Basically they r trying to form a tank fist... I think

Senpais teach me the way of WoT pls :3 I nub 

_devXpert #10 Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:19 AM

Sergeant

• 9336 battles
  • [CATS]

View PostCreighton_Abrams, on 03 February 2017 - 11:06 PM, said:

Use common sense, go where the majority of your team players go 

"DIE FOR SOMETHING RATHER THAN DIE FOR NOTHING"

InvisibleShadow #11 Posted 04 February 2017 - 05:36 AM

First Lieutenant

• 8342 battles
  • [408]

View Post_devXpert, on 04 February 2017 - 04:19 AM, said:

Use common sense, go where the majority of your team players go 

As he said, there are varying results. Sometimes if you go alone, you might be able to flank the enemy team and thus take them apart from both fronts. Once in Yamato Harbour, I was in JPll and went with a Panther ll to the shipyard side of the map, while the other 5 went to the hills and encountered the entire enemy team. Me and the Panther ll went behind the enemy team and began dealing loads of dmg, taking them apart. Sometimes if you have a good idea where the enemies are going to go it might be better to go from the other side to either attack from the back or flank.

%5Burl=http://wotbstars.com...peg[/img][/url]

Diamond114 #12 Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:08 AM

Captain

• 13820 battles
  • [408]

View PostCreighton_Abrams, on 03 February 2017 - 09:12 PM, said:

Starting from the last note; in Himmelsdorf meds and lights tend to spawn in the railway section, heavy tanks and TDs spawn in the town. Vineyards, meds and lights spawn on the right, heavies most often facing town on the left. Middleburg, same deal; meds and lights spawn on the hill, heavies spawn on the town edge.

On the second note, taking Middleburg again as example, if you find your team has more medium or light tank, then usually it's rushing up the hill and knock the opposing team's meds and lights. Otherwise if your team has more heavies/TDs, then usually the meds should come down and cover the heavies and TDs pushing the town because going up the hill with inferior numbers usually amounts to suicide unless the opposing team decides to form a lemming train and aren't watching their backs doing so. On Port Bay the meds and lights usually go to the open area (C Flag in Supremacy) with the heavies and TDs in tow, but sometimes when there are more heavies and TDs in my team I usually tell the team to go town together; while the C Flag area is elevated, the buildings in the port and town area usually are tall enough as cover as long as the team doesn't over expose themselves.

In town brawls, often it is which team can support each other better. If you can keep your heavies and TDs backs clear, they can help you out against the opposing team's heavies. Just kill the fast movers first especially if they're overly aggressive and isolated themselves going after your heavies.

On some maps like Rockfield etc. with long shooting lanes sometimes it also depends on which team can shoot straighter.

"Fight to fly, fly to fight, FIGHT TO WIN!" - U.S Navy Fighter Weapons School TOPGUN

"Nothing is right in tactics. A good fighter pilot must be free to propose improvements to his tactics or he will get himself killed." - Cmdr. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, USN

Adapt and overcome, there's no such thing as a bad tank, only bad drivers, bad teams, and bad luck

Rinskiev #13 Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:37 AM

Sergeant

• 7135 battles
  • [UNITY]
Many already had here interesting suggestions. Let me add something: look at the others of your team and see what they do. Specially if you are lower tier you cannot be the spear of your team so watch and look at the mini-map regularly. This may indicate you where you are most needed or where you can find the occasion of knocking down a lonely red. Also try to remember the names of the good clans. If someone of a good clan gives the team an advice....well, probably it is a good idea to follow. Nevertheless, sharpen your own criteria!

Neb10k #14 Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:24 AM

First Lieutenant

• 41730 battles
  • [HAVOC]
Look at clan tags. After game check win rates of players and note which clans have good players.

Then listen to players with those tags.

E.g. Oxo, Ghq, storm, ID, Rasa - all players will be of a good standard.

occasionally you get a good clanless player. But be suspicious of confident calls otherwise from no-clan players.

If anyone calls capture on copper field at start, they are dreaming. Same for Himmelsburg.

Base risky on winter melanoma. And rockfield.

Base is an option for canal if team covers. Or middleturd.

Capture is better on some maps late in battle if the alternative is chasing a lone survivor in a speedy light tank.

Creighton_Abrams #15 Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:16 PM

Sergeant

• 12130 battles
  • [XYZ_1]
Based upon the input, It maybe a good time to start a Community "Maps Guide for Dummies",  Organized by Tier - since the Hill isn't always the best place depending upon your Tier (from what I've experienced). Anyone willing to participate in such a guide ? If so, where do you suggest we start ?

NO0B_Senior #16 Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:03 PM

Private

• 797 battles
  • [HKMCC]

OP, you are a very peculiar player. We were in the same game about an hour ago. You drove a Cromwell, yoloing in the enemy territory with no purpose, then you  just stopped in front of two heavies and a TD (i.e. Me) and firing one or two shots , and finally you are back to garage, all in about 20 seconds.....I guess half the team have shot you, idk,  even my stock Stug driven by 75% crew managed to shot you.... weird, just weird...

.IMG_0010.PNG

Hokey_Pokey #17 Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:06 PM

First Lieutenant

• 21020 battles
  • [ACE]

No such thing as a "team lead" in random battles. 

Just stay with the bulk of your team. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users