How to Actually Play a TD?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Neonz_69 #1 Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:10 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 4688 battles

I've researched on how to play a tank destroyer. Get cover, hide, shoot, but then i have no where to shoot because it's out of sight and my teams getting pounded

For example, i was at my base sniping and i've literally done nothing but spectate

FrenzyFantasies #2 Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:29 AM

Captain

• 34572 battles
  • [FEAST]

If I remembered it right, you have just asked the question "how to shoot tracks effectively" right?

First tell me what are the tracks on tanks used for?

Then tell me whether tank destroyers have tracks or not?

Assuming you got both answers correct, then apply the answer of the first question to your question. If not, then why do you want to shoot someone's tracks?

By the way, how to spectate in a random battle? Is it possible to use the free cam there? If so I would like to see how to do that.

Leader of FEAST (Fulcra of the East), Twister Cup 2018 Asia Server Champion

Developer of SerBot (Discord Stats Bot) & Mod Site MadWoTBMods

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. " ~Winston Churchill

Neonz_69 #3 Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:54 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 4688 battles

View PostMaddoxkkm, on 16 January 2017 - 06:29 PM, said:

If I remembered it right, you have just asked the question "how to shoot tracks effectively" right?

Assuming you got both answers correct, then apply the answer of the first question to your question. If not, then why do you want to shoot someone's tracks?

By the way, how to spectate in a random battle? Is it possible to use the free cam there? If so I would like to see how to do that.

You aren't contributing on this topic

what i meant by spectate is watching as your teams hopelessly get pounded by the enemy team

InvisibleShadow #4 Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:54 AM

First Lieutenant

• 11040 battles
  • [408]

View PostNeonz_69, on 16 January 2017 - 10:10 AM, said:

I've researched on how to play a tank destroyer. Get cover, hide, shoot, but then i have no where to shoot because it's out of sight and my teams getting pounded

For example, i was at my base sniping and i've literally done nothing but spectate

Um I'm afraid this is going too far...

Remember what Diamond114 said in your medium tank thread? About why you're creating so many threads lately, and how this might piss ppl off? Like, what Diamond114 said, going to forums for help is not a bad thing, but I'm afraid you're kind of crossing the line here. You, a person with almost 4K battles, asking such a basic question on how to play a TD? This is a question for newbies to ask . No offense, but I'm seriously beginning to doubt the sincerity of your questions; whether this is really a genuine question or you are just posting these because you have nothing else to do?

%5Burl=http://wotbstars.com...peg[/img][/url]

Neonz_69 #5 Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:55 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 4688 battles

View PostInvisibleShadow, on 16 January 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

Remember what Diamond114 said in your medium tank thread? About why you're creating so many threads lately, and how this might piss ppl off? Like, what Diamond114 said, going to forums for help is not a bad thing, but I'm afraid you're kind of crossing the line here. You, a person with almost 4K battles, asking such a basic question on how to play a TD? This is a question for newbies to ask . No offense, but I'm seriously beginning to doubt the sincerity of your questions; whether this is really a genuine question or you are just posting these because you have nothing else to do?

I'm genuine, i still don't know how to play a TD

I think i'm just going to post less topics from now on, might "Trigger" people (Even though it didn't do anything to them)

Edited by Neonz_69, 16 January 2017 - 10:59 AM.

JeanneThiccWaifu #6 Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:03 AM

Captain

• 26942 battles
  • [FEAST]

View PostNeonz_69, on 16 January 2017 - 05:54 PM, said:

You aren't contributing on this topic

what i meant by spectate is watching as your teams hopelessly get pounded by the enemy team

Read Maddox post once again.,and try to ignore the spectating part.,either you didnt get his point or his English is far too Advance for you,if you're still dont get it then i assume that you're here for trolling rather than sincerely asking question or advice.,since you're just brush aside everyone opinion on M6 at Heavy tank threads

Just.,Just  Play Fallout., this gaem succ balls

FrenzyFantasies #7 Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:15 AM

Captain

• 34572 battles
  • [FEAST]

View PostWraith598, on 16 January 2017 - 07:03 PM, said:

Read Maddox post once again.,and try to ignore the spectating part.,either you didnt get his point or his English is far too Advance for you,if you're still dont get it then i assume that you're here for trolling rather than sincerely asking question or advice.,since you're just brush aside everyone opinion on M6 at Heavy tank threads

eh, i already made it pretty clear about my thinking. the tracks on his tank destroyers are probably rusty af.

Leader of FEAST (Fulcra of the East), Twister Cup 2018 Asia Server Champion

Developer of SerBot (Discord Stats Bot) & Mod Site MadWoTBMods

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. " ~Winston Churchill

REAP3R133 #8 Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:20 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 12880 battles
  • [CTF-1]
images(5).jpg
 most op tank in the game

Neonz_69 #9 Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:37 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 4688 battles
Now you people are just discouraging me, i'm not gonna post some useless and pointless topics anymore, or even not at all. I'm just going to figure shit out of myself

Diamond114 #10 Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:19 PM

Captain

• 16281 battles
  • [408]
TDs can sometimes be a bit demanding because most vehicle are turretless, and thus required you to know what you're doing. For example, the awareness on your vehicle performance, good TD spots on the map, how to position yourself to get the best firing lane without exposing yourself if possible, being an accurate shot, and lastly being patient and willing to adopt a slower pace. The first one you can kinda figure out from garage stats, second to third caveat you're gonna have to slow down and stop rush grinding like crazy just because you want to get to Tier X, and the last one is pretty much the key to success to any TD player.

"Fight to fly, fly to fight, FIGHT TO WIN!" - U.S Navy Fighter Weapons School TOPGUN.

"Nothing is right in tactics. A good fighter pilot must be free to propose improvements to his tactics or he will get himself killed." - Cmdr. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, USN.

"To be a good fighter pilot, there's only one prime requisite; Think Fast, and Act Faster" - John Trevor Godfrey, 336 Sqn RAF

Diamond114 #11 Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:20 PM

Captain

• 16281 battles
  • [408]

View PostInvisibleShadow, on 16 January 2017 - 05:54 PM, said:

I think he may be rush grinding

"Fight to fly, fly to fight, FIGHT TO WIN!" - U.S Navy Fighter Weapons School TOPGUN.

"Nothing is right in tactics. A good fighter pilot must be free to propose improvements to his tactics or he will get himself killed." - Cmdr. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, USN.

"To be a good fighter pilot, there's only one prime requisite; Think Fast, and Act Faster" - John Trevor Godfrey, 336 Sqn RAF

erwin10001 #12 Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:05 PM

First Lieutenant

• 39286 battles
  • [SEALZ]

the problem is that every question you ask is general and vague and is just changing one word.

This is my question

"How to play _______ "

You have only 1 TD where you played at least 100 games, the Tier 5 SU-85B and the scores are quite revealing, WR 48.6%, DR 0.89 , KDR 1.02.  So it appears that you had not mastered the Su-85B, you went on to the Tier 6 SU-100 and the scores dropped?:  WR42.86%, DR 0.87, KDR 0.97.

To me your weakness in TD is because you did not practice enough at the lower tiers, doing your usual "get to higher tier as fast as possible."  For example, lower tier TDs like the Tier 4 Hetzer, which is an absolute monster, you have only WR46.99%, DR 1.15 / KDR 1.29.  For the Hetzer, you should be getting DR and KDR >2.0, if not >3.0.

I am still trying to master tier 4 TDs. Will be acquiring the M8A1 soon, and after I play 100 games on Hezter and 100 games on M8A1, then I'll move on to tier 5. 

Why don't you record some videos of your gameplay, upload them to youtube and maybe the more experienced players can give their comments?

Edited by erwin10001, 16 January 2017 - 01:35 PM.

iNugget #13 Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:40 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 16595 battles
Depends on what kind, there are TD that do high dmg but long reload. Those you should stay back and be in the town. Low dmg and fast reload TD, should be played in open spaces so the enemy can't run away and you can put ALL your shells into them

"The biggest risk is not taking any risk... In a world that's changing really quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks." -- Mark Zuckerberg

So I should YOLO right? :trollface:

Diamond114 #14 Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:34 PM

Captain

• 16281 battles
  • [408]

View PostiNugget, on 16 January 2017 - 09:40 PM, said:

Depends on what kind, there are TD that do high dmg but long reload. Those you should stay back and be in the town. Low dmg and fast reload TD, should be played in open spaces so the enemy can't run away and you can put ALL your shells into them

There are some TDs with DPM oriented guns that are slow and easy to flank in the open; e.g AT15

InvisibleShadow #15 Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:32 AM

First Lieutenant

• 11040 battles
  • [408]

View PostMaddoxkkm, on 16 January 2017 - 10:29 AM, said:

#Sarcasm101

xXFighter888Xx #16 Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:38 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 32194 battles
  • [OXO]
You can try to go to the front line if u r brave. Like to flank in my 268 though... Don't ask me how it even makes since.

Edited by xXFighter888Xx, 17 January 2017 - 10:38 AM.

The official "I don't care-er"

anonym_jXktcKVBMWgF #17 Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:39 PM

Sergeant

• 0 battles

View PostNeonz_69, on 16 January 2017 - 11:37 AM, said:

Now you people are just discouraging me, i'm not gonna post some useless and pointless topics anymore, or even not at all. I'm just going to figure shit out of myself

Good.

InvisibleShadow #18 Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:36 AM

First Lieutenant

• 11040 battles
  • [408]

View PostREAP3R133, on 16 January 2017 - 11:20 AM, said:

images(5).jpg

I think you "triggered" him lol

Nice meme btw

Edited by InvisibleShadow, 18 January 2017 - 07:36 AM.

erwin10001 #19 Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:25 AM

First Lieutenant

• 39286 battles
  • [SEALZ]

Here's my perspective as a low tier TD player: In the smaller maps, I agree with just hiding and waiting. For larger maps, the TD needs to follow the main force and deploy once battle is joined.

The TD can also join the battle temporarily if the enemy is caught in a disadvantageous position; the more guns you can bring to bear in this situation, the more likely you are to win.

Sometimes, your TD is at full health but the friendlies next to you are not and become paralysed with fear.  I may take a calculated risk to peek and boom a damaged tank, and suffer some hp loss as a result from return fire (no one expecting the TD to charge, all turrets pointing in the direction of the mediums), then go back into hiding. But at least my team tanks don't have to take damage. 

If enemy is able to regroup to a better position, the temporary advantage is lost. I've seen too many teams waste such advantages so I take matters into my own hands even if I'm driving a TD :)

Edited by erwin10001, 18 January 2017 - 08:26 AM.

Private_Nemesis #20 Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:10 AM

Sergeant

• 25908 battles
  • [ANZ]
No, no, no - you should drive at the front of the team, at high speed, straight at the OpFor, die instantly under withering fire and spend the rest of the game abusing your teammates for being "nubs", "cowards", "fools"!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users