VK 30.01 P: Help!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

JPS_Deathwalker #1 Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:27 PM

Captain

• 15788 battles

Hi all,

So I've started to grind the VK 30.01 P on my reroll account (The_DarthVader). At the time of writing, I have only played 3 battles so far, losing the first game dealing only one shot worth of damage, followed up by 2 victories that were 1.5k and 1.4k damage games. This puts me at about 1k Average Damage. 

So far I've unlocked the first engine upgrade with some of my free XP and the XP I've collected on my first win. I did that because I've felt the VK 30.01P was insanely slow and the 100+ horsepower upgrade and 13 degrees of track traverse was worth it.

Now I'm unsure which modules to grind next. I'm thinking of getting the turret first and then proceeding to get the 88mm gun on it. I also need some tips on how to play the tank. Sure, the 1.4k and 1.5k dmg games were decent, but that's because I've been really staying second line and picking off easy targets. The armour on it so far hasn't worked much for me and I continuously get penetrated through my hull or my stock turret pretty easily.(That's why I've been staying second line, either sniping or trying to use the ridge lines.)

Any help with this tank that is fully upgraded?

When you want to succeed as much as you want to live to breathe, then only you will succeed.

stormventsrage2 #2 Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:51 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 26578 battles
An ugly tank that I managed to break even in. It was easy to grind through and get rid of. It needs tlc, or a facelift.
The problem of leisure, what to do for pleasure....

ShirouRabbit #3 Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:05 PM

Sergeant

• 22569 battles
  • [1ST]

Definitely gun first.  The turret isn't much of an upgrade, not like the huge boost in DPM, alpha and pen that the 88mm will give you over the stock 75mm L48.

I played this tank as a flanker, it just doesn't have the armour to bounce anything, even hull down.  I don't have any Steel Walls in this tank.

Try to avoid being hit, which usually means not in the line of fire, but off to one side of it.  Punching 220 point holes in the sides of heavies as they're trying to engage your front line can quickly turn a battle, if they turn to engage you they're ignoring the heavies, if they stay on the heavies, then 5 shots from the 88mm will kill most heavies.

limjf04 #4 Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:42 AM

First Lieutenant

• 11557 battles
  • [ISD]

View PostShirouRabbit, on 03 January 2017 - 07:05 AM, said:

Definitely gun first.  The turret isn't much of an upgrade, not like the huge boost in DPM, alpha and pen that the 88mm will give you over the stock 75mm L48.

I played this tank as a flanker, it just doesn't have the armour to bounce anything, even hull down.  I don't have any Steel Walls in this tank.

Try to avoid being hit, which usually means not in the line of fire, but off to one side of it.  Punching 220 point holes in the sides of heavies as they're trying to engage your front line can quickly turn a battle, if they turn to engage you they're ignoring the heavies, if they stay on the heavies, then 5 shots from the 88mm will kill most heavies.

That thing has armour. I have bounced several shots on the turret and the hull.

A cheapsake's garage:

MS-1 (4 aces), Tetrarch, T2 Light, T7 Car, Pz.II J, BT-7 Artillery, Pz.S35 (2 aces), M3 Light, LTP, BT-SV, T-127 (1 ace), Pz.IV D, Hetzer Kame SP, A-32, Pz.IV Anko SP, Pz.III/IV, Crusader (1 ace),  Kuro Mori Mine, VK 28.01, KV-2, AMX 50 100, Tiger II, WT auf Pz.IV, E50,  Jagdtiger (1 ace), E100, Jagdpanzer E100 (1 ace)

Hmm I actually have lots of garage slots

Diamond114 #5 Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:42 AM

Captain

• 16298 battles
  • [408]

View Postlimjf04, on 07 February 2017 - 02:42 PM, said:

That thing has armour. I have bounced several shots on the turret and the hull.

Yes the turret can be bouncy, but the hull is 80mm if I'm not mistaken. Even Pz IV in Tier V with the same hull armor gets penned most times from what I see. Granted it has some highly sloped parts from the front that can eat poorly aimed shots, but the hull isn't quite fantastic on the VK 30.01 P

"Fight to fly, fly to fight, FIGHT TO WIN!" - U.S Navy Fighter Weapons School TOPGUN.

"Nothing is right in tactics. A good fighter pilot must be free to propose improvements to his tactics or he will get himself killed." - Cmdr. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, USN.

"To be a good fighter pilot, there's only one prime requisite; Think Fast, and Act Faster" - John Trevor Godfrey, 336 Sqn RAF

Lord_Melchett #6 Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:48 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 34580 battles
  • [1914]

I have 2 steel walls in the 30.01P, in 80 battles.  I found it surprisingly (i.e. unexpectedly) bouncy, with angling.  The turret is rounded and bouncier than the numbers would indicate.

The top gun is effective, but not particularly fast to reload.

Best used as a support tank or flanker.

The_EXorcist86 #7 Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:14 PM

Private

• 9949 battles
  • [BOGAN]

I struggled at first with it. Doing better now with the 88mm on it and just playing better ( I'm still new) 

Its also my first Tier VI tank so I don't think I made it easy. The 88mm and a supporting role seems to work best for the tank, and I still need the top engine for it. While I have no steel walls in it, I have managed to bounce some shots, but it's not a heavy so I don't expect to trade shots with heavy hitters, especially when I end up in Tier VII games

IGNORE_MY_WINRATE #8 Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:50 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 15188 battles
  • [SUB40]

The upgraded turret will give you proper hull-down ability. If you get the full-on 225 alpha gun, you get to peek-a-boom like a boss. With both, you can go hull-down and smack people for 225dmg every 7.2 seconds. The HE has 275 average alpha and makes an absolute mess of anything it can hit. This thing is genuinely glorious and the first tank I ever got a super-unicum rating in on BlitzStars

IGNORE_MY_WINRATE #9 Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:52 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 15188 battles
  • [SUB40]

View PostThe_EXorcist86, on 10 March 2017 - 09:14 PM, said:

I struggled at first with it. Doing better now with the 88mm on it and just playing better ( I'm still new) 

Its also my first Tier VI tank so I don't think I made it easy. The 88mm and a supporting role seems to work best for the tank, and I still need the top engine for it. While I have no steel walls in it, I have managed to bounce some shots, but it's not a heavy so I don't expect to trade shots with heavy hitters, especially when I end up in Tier VII games

i ended up in a tier 8 fail-platoon game yesterday and ended up Hp trading with an IS-3. It went quite well

erwin10001 #10 Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:21 PM

First Lieutenant

• 41934 battles
  • [NETS]

Previously overshadowed by VK28.01, the VK30.01(P) is now a really, really good tank . I have KDR and DR >2.0 for this tank, something I've not been able to achieve in other T6 German tanks, whereas the other German Med, the VK30.02(M) was just rubbish.

Its key advantage to the VK30.02M appears to be its glorious gun, because mobility wise, VK30.02M and VK30.01(P) are about the same. And what a difference a good gun makes.

The VK36.01H has a higher winrate and less damage, because it does what a HT is supposed to do. Stay in front, and soak up the damage, as I invite clueless enemy players to shoot my sidescraped side instead of my team, half of whom are 90degrees sideways and showing their entire side armor....

Edited by erwin10001, 07 December 2018 - 02:25 PM.

CaptWombat #11 Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:57 PM

First Lieutenant

• 35310 battles
  • [BOGAN]

Yep it is a great tank! You can do some real damage in it, second line is a great position for it.

Give it a go!

Gentleman Tanker.

__Grifter__ #12 Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:24 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 3158 battles
  • [BOOM2]

Takes a bit of time to get used to this tank, big, ugly, and seems not that mobile. Thing is, when you actually get it up to speed it can move and the armor when worked/angled can be quite troll sometimes i feel. Where it excels is the gun without doubt - German tanks are known for good gun handling and accuracy but this one packs a big punch as well.

I find it can work as a support for the HTs or as a flanker with the rest of the mt/lts. Once unlocked and you have got used to as how to play it, this tank is a keeper imo. 

It's very underrated and is currently the second worst performing tier 6 MT according to Blitzstars but I would say that this is because it has quite the learning curve compared to the rest. 

_MR_TICKLES_ #13 Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:41 AM

Corporal

• 23332 battles
  • [UFD-1]

View PostJPS_Deathwalker, on 31 December 2016 - 12:27 PM, said:

Hi all,

So I've started to grind the VK 30.01 P on my reroll account (The_DarthVader). At the time of writing, I have only played 3 battles so far, losing the first game dealing only one shot worth of damage, followed up by 2 victories that were 1.5k and 1.4k damage games. This puts me at about 1k Average Damage. 

So far I've unlocked the first engine upgrade with some of my free XP and the XP I've collected on my first win. I did that because I've felt the VK 30.01P was insanely slow and the 100+ horsepower upgrade and 13 degrees of track traverse was worth it.

Now I'm unsure which modules to grind next. I'm thinking of getting the turret first and then proceeding to get the 88mm gun on it. I also need some tips on how to play the tank. Sure, the 1.4k and 1.5k dmg games were decent, but that's because I've been really staying second line and picking off easy targets. The armour on it so far hasn't worked much for me and I continuously get penetrated through my hull or my stock turret pretty easily.(That's why I've been staying second line, either sniping or trying to use the ridge lines.)

Any help with this tank that is fully upgraded?

he turret armor is not half bad, you can hull down and im pretty sure if you get a tier 5 match they cannot penetrate your armor unless they use pramo. the 88mm gun will find no problem penetrating even the JS-2. it also sports good mobility so you are able to relocate after a couple shots fired at the enemy. if you stay at one place too long ​then they know you will peek out again and therefore you will take damage in which you could have easily avoided. 

_MR_TICKLES_ #14 Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:42 AM

Corporal

• 23332 battles
  • [UFD-1]

View Post__Grifter__, on 15 January 2019 - 12:24 PM, said:

Takes a bit of time to get used to this tank, big, ugly, and seems not that mobile. Thing is, when you actually get it up to speed it can move and the armor when worked/angled can be quite troll sometimes i feel. Where it excels is the gun without doubt - German tanks are known for good gun handling and accuracy but this one packs a big punch as well.

I find it can work as a support for the HTs or as a flanker with the rest of the mt/lts. Once unlocked and you have got used to as how to play it, this tank is a keeper imo. 

It's very underrated and is currently the second worst performing tier 6 MT according to Blitzstars but I would say that this is because it has quite the learning curve compared to the rest. 

I agree with everything

but it is an easy 2k damage output tank if you play well. unlike a lot of people in matchmaking

_MR_TICKLES_ #15 Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:44 AM

Corporal

• 23332 battles
  • [UFD-1]

View Posterwin10001, on 07 December 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

Previously overshadowed by VK28.01, the VK30.01(P) is now a really, really good tank . I have KDR and DR >2.0 for this tank, something I've not been able to achieve in other T6 German tanks, whereas the other German Med, the VK30.02(M) was just rubbish.

Its key advantage to the VK30.02M appears to be its glorious gun, because mobility wise, VK30.02M and VK30.01(P) are about the same. And what a difference a good gun makes.

The VK36.01H has a higher winrate and less damage, because it does what a HT is supposed to do. Stay in front, and soak up the damage, as I invite clueless enemy players to shoot my sidescraped side instead of my team, half of whom are 90degrees sideways and showing their entire side armor....

the 30.02M is good. I don't understand. 5 second reload and armor similar to that of a panther tank. because it is a prototype of it. can be really trolly at times. the turret is weak though. side gifting in tanks are a big nono and you see it everyday but matchmaking..

_RB_33_ #16 Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:35 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 22718 battles
  • [101AS]

View PostTheGraveDigger, on 07 February 2019 - 12:44 AM, said:

the 30.02M is good. I don't understand. 5 second reload and armor similar to that of a panther tank. because it is a prototype of it. can be really trolly at times. the turret is weak though. side gifting in tanks are a big nono and you see it everyday but matchmaking..

Not many can fully appreciate the VK30.02M (include me in the list as well). For one, all that you've pointed out are true. On the other hand, where the Panther in-game has the benefit of its glorious 7.5 L100 and 8.8 L48 guns, the VK30.02M does not and considering that it faces opponents that the Panther also faces it is a rather uphill climb for the VK30.02M.

Case in point, I have both the Panther and VK30.02M and if you're going to look at my stats, I have a rather decent record on the Panther with a WR of 52% while my record with the VK30.02M is a rather dismal one.

Considering that I have both, I'm supposed to have a decent record on the VK30.02M but the opposite occured. All I can think of as an answer as to why I have such different records on both, if sticking to clearly technical details, is because of, again, of the available guns.

That or I simply just couldn't make it work :/

_MR_TICKLES_ #17 Posted 15 February 2019 - 01:43 AM

Corporal

• 23332 battles
  • [UFD-1]

View Post_RB_33_, on 15 February 2019 - 12:35 AM, said:

Not many can fully appreciate the VK30.02M (include me in the list as well). For one, all that you've pointed out are true. On the other hand, where the Panther in-game has the benefit of its glorious 7.5 L100 and 8.8 L48 guns, the VK30.02M does not and considering that it faces opponents that the Panther also faces it is a rather uphill climb for the VK30.02M.

Case in point, I have both the Panther and VK30.02M and if you're going to look at my stats, I have a rather decent record on the Panther with a WR of 52% while my record with the VK30.02M is a rather dismal one.

Considering that I have both, I'm supposed to have a decent record on the VK30.02M but the opposite occured. All I can think of as an answer as to why I have such different records on both, if sticking to clearly technical details, is because of, again, of the available guns.

That or I simply just couldn't make it work :/

unlike the Pather however, the Veekay has good gun depression and it can peek pretty well

_RB_33_ #18 Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:01 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 22718 battles
  • [101AS]

View PostTheGraveDigger, on 15 February 2019 - 01:43 AM, said:

unlike the Pather however, the Veekay has good gun depression and it can peek pretty well

I had a good laugh at this. I have been treating the VK30.02M lile a literal weaker Panther that I did not notice that it has its own abilities to make it stand out. Felt like a light bulb lit up lol thank you :) 

_MR_TICKLES_ #19 Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:11 AM

Corporal

• 23332 battles
  • [UFD-1]

View Post_RB_33_, on 15 February 2019 - 02:01 AM, said:

I had a good laugh at this. I have been treating the VK30.02M lile a literal weaker Panther that I did not notice that it has its own abilities to make it stand out. Felt like a light bulb lit up lol thank you :) 

Your welcome. and it is also fast. and of course its inferior to the panther. the armor is quite nice because is sloped. the turret is weak though :child:

Edited by TheGraveDigger, 15 February 2019 - 02:11 AM.

_RB_33_ #20 Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:41 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 22718 battles
  • [101AS]

View PostTheGraveDigger, on 15 February 2019 - 02:11 AM, said:

Your welcome. and it is also fast. and of course its inferior to the panther. the armor is quite nice because is sloped. the turret is weak though :child:

Going back to the original topic, I took a chance with the VK30.01P out of curiosity. Since I already passed the Panther and VK30.02D, I already had the 8.8 L56 gun and free XPd the engine and tracks. Crew is at 75%. All I can say is why on earth did I not try out this tank earlier??? Lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users