just started playing the game

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

erwin10001 #21 Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:57 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 17189 battles
  • [SEALZ]

I am currently practicing on tier 5 and it’s a lot tougher than the earlier tiers. However, I have to learn skills like sidescraping (still not good enough).  I also had to finish this mission which required 3 consecutive wins in tier 5. I got into a lucky 3 game (no platoon) winning streak with KV-1 and on my 3rd win  a random tanker invited me to platoon with him. I think I gave him some support during the game which he Aced so he was happy about that. This is a newbie’s story about my very first platoon games J  

f

G1 Castilla: Tier 4/5 in KV-1. I provided fire support for platoon leader as he fearlessly charged into battle. Bridge he said, rather than the traditional heavy route so we slugged it out in the houses near the bridge. I did 1k+ damage supporting him and he Aced the match. Easy victory, 6 survivors.

G2 Port bay: Tier 4/5 in KV-1 Getting used to his aggressiveness, I stepped up my game, and we really brought the battle to the enemy.  Port Bay means heavies into town? Nope, charge straight at them across the bumpy ground, don’t even bother about the bridge. Half the enemy was in town and I managed to shoot up some of them as they rushed out of town to do battle with us. They were probably stunned and the Opfor platoon couldn’t even muster 1k damage. Even while heavily damaged, fearless leader continued battling and though his teammates could easily finish the last 2 enemy tanks, he never retreated and went down in flames at the very end with 5 kills. My only kill was the tank that killed fearless leader. He got the Ace/Crucial Contribution while I got the High Caliber, Confederate, Steel Wall, Spartan and Crucial Contribution. A bit more difficult. 4 survivors.

G3: Himmelsdorf Tier 5/Tier 6 in KV-1. Would fearless platoon leader take a break and support the Tier 6 tanks? No way! Charge the tier 6 tanks you say? Ok, if you say so…. Despite being the lower tier tank, fearless leader got the 2nd highest damage of the team while I could only manage a measly 787. Both of us went down in flames but we carried our weight and took out one tank each. Opfor platoon couldn’t even muster 1k damage. Quite a difficult match. There was a lot of cross-fire and even though we were near to each other we were mainly firing across each other at different targets, though occasionally we would take quick opportunity shots at each others targets. 4 survivors.

I suppose that 3 games is not statistically significant, but the platoon games got  harder and harder…..It was late and I stopped… 6 game winning streak with KV-1 (3 in platoon), don’t want to tempt the RNG into giving me a 7 game losing streak after that. Platooning is indeed a whole lot of fun (unless MM gives you a 7 game losing streak....)

Edited by erwin10001, 13 January 2017 - 12:59 PM.

erwin10001 #22 Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:23 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 17189 battles
  • [SEALZ]

Posted Image

Ok, speaking about MM, so I have a 6 game winning streak with KV-1. So I will just start a new game with KV-1. What sort of team does MM give me, THREE PLAYERS WITH ZERO DAMAGE and a Churchill that can't shoot? Will this be the start of a 7 game losing streak to balance out the 6 game winning streak? :)

Sgt_Elias #23 Posted 14 January 2017 - 04:18 PM

Captain

• 50399 battles
  • [GRUMP]
Good going, Erwin! I did say I thought you would do very well. That is some impressive, consistent play there. 

"They don't know sh*t, Barnes, and chances are we're gonna run into something."

- Sgt. Elias K. Grodin

erwin10001 #24 Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:55 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 17189 battles
  • [SEALZ]

Hi Gandalf thanks for the encouragement. I have dipped my toes into tier 6 with the Strv Blitz fair tank and also trying to grind the upgrades for KV-2, but difficult because KV-2 is a shell magnet.  :)

My impression of tier 6 and tier 7 is that there are better players at these tiers but still there are often at least 2 players per team with zero or hardly any damage. I suppose zero damage could be one shot kills at these tiers I guess....

In the meantime, decided to try some German tanks and managed to Ace Pz IV.A with only 2 kills. The more 'unpopular' the tank, the easier to ace. (I still have Aced popular tanks like A.20 yet)

Sgt_Elias #25 Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:08 PM

Captain

• 50399 battles
  • [GRUMP]

View Posterwin10001, on 15 January 2017 - 03:55 PM, said:

Hi Gandalf thanks for the encouragement. I have dipped my toes into tier 6 with the Strv Blitz fair tank and also trying to grind the upgrades for KV-2, but difficult because KV-2 is a shell magnet.  :)

My impression of tier 6 and tier 7 is that there are better players at these tiers but still there are often at least 2 players per team with zero or hardly any damage. I suppose zero damage could be one shot kills at these tiers I guess....

In the meantime, decided to try some German tanks and managed to Ace Pz IV.A with only 2 kills. The more 'unpopular' the tank, the easier to ace. (I still have Aced popular tanks like A.20 yet)

Good going! 

Its true what you say. Tanks that most people don't like tend to be easier to Ace, mostly because other people do badly in them (which is why they don't like them). :)

Edited by Gandalf_Stormcrow, 28 January 2017 - 01:12 PM.

"They don't know sh*t, Barnes, and chances are we're gonna run into something."

- Sgt. Elias K. Grodin

Neb10k #26 Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:58 PM

First Lieutenant

• 44301 battles
  • [HAVOC]
Pz35s is a great tank.

The Mathilda is awesome too, as is the tier V premium Russian version, Mathilda IV.

To do well in the Mathilda you need to know where to place it on the map, because you only get one drive decision in a battle. After that it is about the gun and the armor. The gun - I use the fast loader not the DERP. And I take plenty of APCR. You need to be able to whittle enemy to death (see armor comments). A good option is to hit drive wheel area to immobilise a tank and do damage. The fast load means you can permatrack.

If you use fast gun you need to survive. So armour is key. In a tier IV match your armor is good and you will be a menace if your team takes out the TDs (hetzers!) and T28s. Any tank with a autoloader will be crying if they try to attack you. So ask your team to hunt the TDs.

But you can handle the TDs. Use terrain and side scraping. The funny thing is the Mathilda is a medium and can play that style (using terrain) just slower than most. It is clearer with Mathilda IV which is faster. Angling the front armor works very well. You can also try to bounce hetzers by wiggling - sometimes it works.

CynicalSilicon #27 Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:09 AM

Producer

• Administrator
  • 4710 battles
  • [WG]

Hi erwin10001,

Great to see you enjoying the game...and the grind :)

It can be tough and those losing streaks can be painful, I know I have had more than my fair share. Looks like you are mastering those lower tier tanks though which will do wonders for your skills later on.

Block Quote

Valiant effort reward has kinda broke the ace system. It's almost like you'd rather lose a match where you carried alone to get ace than win to only get a class 1. I mean, valiant effort is a much needed feature but it's still not perfect. 

Actually this issue was resolved last year in update 3.3. Valiant effort introduced a quirk in the mastery system and thanks to player feedback it was sorted out. 

See you on the battlefield.

erwin10001 #28 Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:58 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 17189 battles
  • [SEALZ]

View PostCynicalSilicon, on 17 January 2017 - 08:09 AM, said:

Hi erwin10001,

Great to see you enjoying the game...and the grind :)

It can be tough and those losing streaks can be painful, I know I have had more than my fair share. Looks like you are mastering those lower tier tanks though which will do wonders for your skills later on.

Nice to know that the admin are keeping in touch with the forum. Games always need to strike a delicate balance between attracting new players and keeping the existing players content (not happy, content... :) ) I am actually not planning to grind as I really have little interest getting a tier X tank. I'll just play whatever interests me or whatever I want to get better at. I'll be happy with interesting and challenging games, whatever the tier (but 'challenging' doesn't mean  3 or 4 players with zero damage on your team...).

But as a new player I hope the chat problem gets fixed soon. Being able to play in a platoon and chat with clan is a key part of the keeping game interesting ....

Edited by erwin10001, 17 January 2017 - 12:00 PM.

knighted_legend #29 Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:16 AM

Corporal

• 10844 battles
  • [HAVOC]

View Posterwin10001_, on 27 December 2016 - 03:11 PM, said:

I got a KV-1 but after the 3 games favourable matchmaking. 14 out of 20 (70%) of my games are against +1 tier tanks. In order to survive I have had to spam APCR and my funds were so dangerously low that I just sold the KV-1 as I was also getting tier 5 missions and only 1 tier 5 tank with which to complete.  Now I am sticking with tier 4 to grind gold and also to have a better selection of tanks for completing missions.... even at tier 4, I think 70% of my games are against +1 tier tanks.... but at least APCR costs less....

You have 0 battles. How did you play in a KV-1?

Here is a link to my complete stats: http://www.blitzstars.com/player/asia/knighted_legend 

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

- Winston Churchill

erwin10001 #30 Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:51 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 17189 battles
  • [SEALZ]

View Postknighted_legend, on 19 January 2017 - 11:16 AM, said:

You have 0 battles. How did you play in a KV-1?

I am so new that I did not know the wargaming account was linked to the forums so I created a new account for the forums. Later I found out its linked so I am now logging in with the correct account :)

Was inspired by Warchild's youtube video on M8A1 mastery, got the tank, and got Ace Mastery today. Fun at the lower tiers :) 

Edited by erwin10001, 19 January 2017 - 11:52 AM.

erwin10001 #31 Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:40 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 17189 battles
  • [SEALZ]

KV-1 platoons can carry the game. Can a TD platoon do the same at tier 5? I found out the answer today.

I just got an AT2 today and was having difficulty,  6 games and only 50% winrate (but KDR and DR >3.0), the problem is that teammates are too clueless to provide cover and AT2 is weak at the sides/rear. Also, by the time AT2 drives to the scene of battle, sometimes the team has already lost 2-3 tanks (our zero damage heroes).

With chat functionality restored, I put in a platoon request saying that I wanted to play AT2, and had 3 games platoon with an SU-85 player. When an SU-85 and AT2 are pointing their guns at you ... the enemy retreats in fear or tries peek-a-boom (not successful) . :) Won all 3 games.  Two games were relatively straightforward, AT2 drives at enemy with SU-85 as backup, even KV-1's retreat in fear :)

The toughest game was one when Opfor had 2 Leopards which our team members simply failed to handle and they destroyed my SU-85 buddy. It was then a 2 on 2 battle, KV-1 and my AT2 against Churchill and KV-1 which we managed to win because we joined up while the Opfor heavies were split up. 

My takeaway? AT2 is mediocre when played solo, but really good when there's a platoon mate looking after your sides/rear. Platoon makes such a difference....

erwin10001 #32 Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:40 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 17189 battles
  • [SEALZ]

Raseinial + Nicol's but no Ace - Fair enough, I guess

I was the only tier 5 tank in the team with the other 6 tanks all tier 6. I hate it when that happens. On the other hand, as the only low tier tank, I guess there's no pressure for me to carry, so I'll just go around the flank and see what I find :)

While we were down 2 tanks early, the rest of the team was pretty ok and the battle was fought to a semi-stalemate.Given the relatively static positions of the enemy, flanking, with a little luck was easy.

I guess I didn't get Ace because I didn't carry the game, I only finished off the tanks already damaged by my hardworking team-mates. I guess that the T-34 is a really useful tank in some situations :)

Diamond114 #33 Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:03 AM

Captain

• 14471 battles
  • [408]

View Posterwin10001, on 20 January 2017 - 11:40 AM, said:

Raseinial + Nicol's but no Ace - Fair enough, I guess

I was the only tier 5 tank in the team with the other 6 tanks all tier 6. I hate it when that happens. On the other hand, as the only low tier tank, I guess there's no pressure for me to carry, so I'll just go around the flank and see what I find :)

While we were down 2 tanks early, the rest of the team was pretty ok and the battle was fought to a semi-stalemate.Given the relatively static positions of the enemy, flanking, with a little luck was easy.

I guess I didn't get Ace because I didn't carry the game, I only finished off the tanks already damaged by my hardworking team-mates. I guess that the T-34 is a really useful tank in some situations :)

Good job there!

"Fight to fly, fly to fight, FIGHT TO WIN!" - U.S Navy Fighter Weapons School TOPGUN

"Nothing is right in tactics. A good fighter pilot must be free to propose improvements to his tactics or he will get himself killed." - Cmdr. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, USN

Adapt and overcome, there's no such thing as a bad tank, only bad drivers, bad teams, and bad luck

erwin10001 #34 Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:19 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 17189 battles
  • [SEALZ]

I guess one has to look on the bright side of uneven matchmaking. More chances to get Kolobanov...... Finally managed to get my Ace for DW2  (needed to destroy 6 enemy tanks, Ace, High Caliber and Kolobanov to do it)  :) It also means that its hard to play tanks which can't really carry the game, like TDs without turret. 

Edited by erwin10001, 22 January 2017 - 11:19 AM.

JPS_Deathwalker #35 Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:36 PM

Captain

• 15788 battles

View Posterwin10001, on 22 January 2017 - 07:19 PM, said:

I guess one has to look on the bright side of uneven matchmaking. More chances to get Kolobanov...... Finally managed to get my Ace for DW2  (needed to destroy 6 enemy tanks, Ace, High Caliber and Kolobanov to do it)  :) It also means that its hard to play tanks which can't really carry the game, like TDs without turret. 

I must admit, that is a whole lot of damage you are dealing there. My record in DW2 is only 2092. Great job:great:

When you want to succeed as much as you want to live to breathe, then only you will succeed.

xXFighter888Xx #36 Posted 22 January 2017 - 01:37 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 21043 battles
Have fun :)

Senpais teach me the way of WoT pls :3 I nub 

InvisibleShadow #37 Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:18 AM

First Lieutenant

• 9871 battles
  • [ASFOW]

You seem like a good player, well done :)

Feel free to plat with me tier V, I will be using my stug

%5Burl=http://wotbstars.com...peg[/img][/url]

xXFighter888Xx #38 Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 21043 battles

Good job :) it took me almost half a year to get my first mastery... That's how noob I was in the beginning...

InvisibleShadow #39 Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:26 AM

First Lieutenant

• 9871 battles
  • [ASFOW]

View PostxXFighter888Xx, on 23 January 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

Good job :) it took me almost half a year to get my first mastery... That's how noob I was in the beginning...

Same here, I was really noob at the start...which is the reason my average dmg still so low even though my average damage nowadays is 1300+ :(

%5Burl=http://wotbstars.com...peg[/img][/url]

xXFighter888Xx #40 Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:14 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 21043 battles

View PostInvisibleShadow, on 24 January 2017 - 04:26 PM, said:

Same here, I was really noob at the start...which is the reason my average dmg still so low even though my average damage nowadays is 1300+ :(

my win rate went up by 10% in the few yrs.... Y was I so noob when I first started?

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users