ISU-152... my god why does it keep penning?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

TheTwistahF2 #1 Posted 09 July 2016 - 12:33 PM

Sergeant

• 5880 battles
  • [FIEND]

Note: Again, like my other thread, any negative non-constructive replies will not be tolerated 

Ah the ISU... we meet again ain't it... I really don't know what or why this tank is still not getting its fair share of much needed penetration nerfs. I have to ask again and again this question. Why does this tank have 286 average penetration while the other tank destroyers of its tier have only around 240-260 penetration? Hell why does it even pen while I'm sidescraping in tanks that are a challenge to deal with with other TDs and this thing pens my anged dside armour like butter? Also, may I ask this as well. Why do people even say this tank is bad in the first place? It gets so much more pros than cons. Yes I know the grind is tough and yes I do know that it is the "troll cannon" but I do believe that this gun is just too good. Oh sure the aim time and accuracy is fine, I'd keep that in their current condition. What it does need is some pen nerfs, preferably around 240-270. Why? Because of these reasons

1.) It pens through the front of tier Xs without the use of gold rounds

2.) Some tanks in its tier doesn't have gold rounds that are as good as the credit round of the BL-10 gun that the ISU has

3.) The gun is good enough to overpenetrate some heavies that are sidescraping at a good angle... if it can pen a sidescraping E5 with ease, then why the hell is this tank even considered"too good" in the first place

Yes I do know that the gun platform is not very good, yes I also know that it doesn't have the best camo rating and armour of its tier but... come on... We all know that the tank has a gun that might be considered "too good" for its tier. I mean come on... a tier 8 that can pen some tier Xs with ease is considered balanced?      

So... after that.... Id like to know what are your thoughts, fellow tank commanders, especially ISU drivers who currently own the tank with the BL-10 mounted on it

anthonylei01 #2 Posted 09 July 2016 - 12:45 PM

Captain

• 16181 battles
  • [YOYO_]

I finished the grind like a month ago and it is a terrible TD.. the gun trolls me more than it trolls the enemy, missing point blank range shot happens very often, the worst part is the long aim time and terrible traverse dispersion. Also, every tier 8 tanks can 3 shots this TD, and every one wants to kill you first as you got the biggest gun. It is hard to explain how bad this TD is as you don't have the tank, at least I cant carry games in it. 

P.S. if WG decided to nerf the gun pen, I am more than welcome, as long as they improve the gun handling. Penetration value means nothing if you cant hit the tank in the first place. 

A small advise, stay away from high tiers, you are not ready

Edited by anthonylei01, 09 July 2016 - 12:47 PM.

DavkVoice #3 Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:14 PM

First Lieutenant

• 22618 battles
  • [MYF]
I think the gun handling is much important than penetration, as you can always compensate your penetration by using gold ammo. With low ROF, hitting the target is more important than regualr shell penetration value. If you cannot land a shell on enemy's tank, penetration is pointless.  
Fat man & little boy, so much fun...

BimRayYau #4 Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:24 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 14714 battles
  • [SKUX]
Some do say that this has way too high pen for tier eight. There's a point to that, but this and the alpha are only barely enough to compensate for the HORRIBLE chassis it is placed on, not to mention gun handling. Sure, the mantlet is troll, but other places it is butter and its traverse is really sluggish.

JPS_Deathwalker #5 Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:31 PM

Captain

• 15802 battles
This thing sucks for me. I won't mind taking a 640 alpha shot in a tier 8 medium and still be able to COD it easily.

When you want to succeed as much as you want to live to breathe, then only you will succeed.

star_sword2000 #6 Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:51 AM

Sergeant

• 12446 battles
  • [AUSIE]
very true nuggets. especially, i don't care about the pen and alpha when im in my sp1c as 1. it wont hit me as im too small and fast and 2. i can snipe in a bush(15 m behind) as it has bad view range and the spahpanzer has good camo

World of Tanks Generals Beta Tester, World of Warships Closed Beta tester, Heliborne Closed Alpha Tester. 

Leader of SH4FT, professor of committee of SHAFT. 

Current lines: German TD(s) (Jagtiger, St. Emil) German Light (ru251) German medium (halted for now) Soviet Heavy (IS3) British Mediums (Halted for now)

TheTwistahF2 #7 Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:09 PM

Sergeant

• 5880 battles
  • [FIEND]

gun handling is terrible... hmm... well... since I have some cash (probably gonna skip the SU-100... Don't want to mess with it since I know how to use turretless anyways), I've decided to go uo my way to the alpha Russian TDs... maybe I'm wrong about this tank... or maybe I'm right... who knows? So... after that's all said and done, I'll give out my opinions once I got the tank researched and getting my hands dirty on the trollcannon :great:

After that's all said and done, how bad could it be?

TheTwistahF2 #8 Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:12 PM

Sergeant

• 5880 battles
  • [FIEND]

View Postanthonylei01, on 09 July 2016 - 08:45 PM, said:

I finished the grind like a month ago and it is a terrible TD.. the gun trolls me more than it trolls the enemy, missing point blank range shot happens very often, the worst part is the long aim time and terrible traverse dispersion. Also, every tier 8 tanks can 3 shots this TD, and every one wants to kill you first as you got the biggest gun. It is hard to explain how bad this TD is as you don't have the tank, at least I cant carry games in it. 

P.S. if WG decided to nerf the gun pen, I am more than welcome, as long as they improve the gun handling. Penetration value means nothing if you cant hit the tank in the first place. 

A small advise, stay away from high tiers, you are not ready

Same stuff happens sometimes to my KV-2, the IS-3 D that I have doesn't even pen half of the shots I hit and yah... list could go on with these 122-152mm high alpha tank guns :sceptic:

LeadFaun #9 Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:52 PM

Sergeant

• 15271 battles
  • [KR0N0]
Lol I bounced an ISU in my Jagdpanther II off of my frontal plate.
The best tanks

Dr_Jedi #10 Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:08 PM

Captain

• 4312 battles
  • [SH4FT]

View PostTheTwistahF2, on 09 July 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

Note: Again, like my other thread, any negative non-constructive replies will not be tolerated 

Ah the ISU... we meet again ain't it... I really don't know what or why this tank is still not getting its fair share of much needed penetration nerfs. I have to ask again and again this question. Why does this tank have 286 average penetration while the other tank destroyers of its tier have only around 240-260 penetration? Hell why does it even pen while I'm sidescraping in tanks that are a challenge to deal with with other TDs and this thing pens my anged dside armour like butter? Also, may I ask this as well. Why do people even say this tank is bad in the first place? It gets so much more pros than cons. Yes I know the grind is tough and yes I do know that it is the "troll cannon" but I do believe that this gun is just too good. Oh sure the aim time and accuracy is fine, I'd keep that in their current condition. What it does need is some pen nerfs, preferably around 240-270. Why? Because of these reasons

1.) It pens through the front of tier Xs without the use of gold rounds

2.) Some tanks in its tier doesn't have gold rounds that are as good as the credit round of the BL-10 gun that the ISU has

3.) The gun is good enough to overpenetrate some heavies that are sidescraping at a good angle... if it can pen a sidescraping E5 with ease, then why the hell is this tank even considered"too good" in the first place

Yes I do know that the gun platform is not very good, yes I also know that it doesn't have the best camo rating and armour of its tier but... come on... We all know that the tank has a gun that might be considered "too good" for its tier. I mean come on... a tier 8 that can pen some tier Xs with ease is considered balanced?      

So... after that.... Id like to know what are your thoughts, fellow tank commanders, especially ISU drivers who currently own the tank with the BL-10 mounted on it

Side scraping against high caliber guns is hard.

Because of "Overmatch"....

"If the AP or APCR shell's caliber is more than 2 times the nominal thickness of the armour (Such as a 130mm shell hitting a 60mm thick plate), projectile shell normalization is increased by the following formula: basic normalization * 1.4 * shell caliber / nominal armour thickness. Note that the shell is still capable of bouncing if it strikes the armor at an angle of 70° or more from normal.

If the AP or APCR shell caliber is more than 3 times the nominal thickness of the armour (such as a 130mm shell hitting a 40mm thick plate), no ricochet will happen even if the impact angle is more than 70° from normal. The increased shell normalization described above will also occur.

In cases involving HE shells or external module hits, overmatch does not occur."

Maybe that's why you get penned while side scraping against 150mm gun.

Diamond114 #11 Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:30 AM

Captain

• 16481 battles
  • [408]
If you can't hit a thing or the gun misbehaves, the 268mm pen means nothing. The other TD guns have generally better accuracy and aim time, and they are not going to troll you as hard most times.

"Fight to fly, fly to fight, FIGHT TO WIN!" - U.S Navy Fighter Weapons School TOPGUN.

"Nothing is right in tactics. A good fighter pilot must be free to propose improvements to his tactics or he will get himself killed." - Cmdr. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, USN.

"To be a good fighter pilot, there's only one prime requisite; Think Fast, and Act Faster" - John Trevor Godfrey, 336 Sqn RAF

batteriesincluded #12 Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:28 AM

Sergeant

• 40 battles

View PostLeadFaun, on 11 July 2016 - 01:52 PM, said:

Lol I bounced an ISU in my Jagdpanther II off of my frontal plate.

​An obj. 704 bounced my Leo PTA.

Stalin must be sleeping...

Custom Skin Website

*Shoutout to alexbuildit for the rudy!*

Youtubehttps://www.youtube....oMiXuiG5lrlFfg

That reroll from NA is coming to Asia

banbandit #13 Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:37 AM

Sergeant

• 14776 battles

In desperation u can side scrape, point ur gun mantlet toward the enemy gun, and pray hard for stalin to bounce the shell.

Attached Files

• Attached File   barney true story.jpg   6.69K

Edited by banbandit, 14 July 2016 - 03:38 AM.

Babayega_1 #14 Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:33 AM

First Lieutenant

• 23547 battles
  • [_PWB_]

View Postbatteriesincluded, on 14 July 2016 - 03:28 AM, said:

​An obj. 704 bounced my Leo PTA.

Stalin must be sleeping...

Hahaha I like the Stalin must be sleeping...I think having a kv-2 is enuf derping experience for a lifetime so Ill just go for the su-100m1 line than this.

"Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."

- Erwin Rommel

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users