Team Selection

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Fosknow #1 Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:24 AM

Captain

• 48736 battles
  • [-IQ-]

Team selection seems a bit peculiar. I have thought this for some time. It works pretty well overall, however I have little chance of doing anything in about half of my matches. What do I mean?

If I play tier 7, most of my opponents are tier 8 and tier 9.

If I play tier 6, most of my opponents are tier 7 and tier 8.

If I play tier 5, most of my opponents are tier 6 and tier 7.

If I play tier 4, most of my opponents are tier 5 and tier 6.

And so on down the tiers.

Either my team wins easily and I don't do much, or my team loses easily and I don't do much. As I stated before, this happens about half of the time.

Is this the way it is for everyone?

M8Tricks #2 Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:28 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 7593 battles

Assuming a limitless pool of other players even distributed at all times, then:

• You should be top tier about a quarter of the time
  • Bottom tier a quarter of the time
  • and middle tier a quarter of the time.

Except in tier ! and X where you will be bottom and top tier always because its not possible to be anything else :blinky:

WoT Blitz - :Legend of BBIC

But if two tier IX flank - its all over - I'm gonna sit at home and flank while watching pron - and the best flanking shoes? Someone else's Nikes obviously

If you see Tricks and Dix in a plat, just adopt a BBIC playstyle, you can't win - leave your shoes next to your tank, we'll collect them after the game.

M8Tricks #3 Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:31 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 7593 battles

View PostFosknow, on 31 October 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

Either my team wins easily and I don't do much, or my team loses easily and I don't do much. 

Not really... even bottom tier, you can still carry, its just harder.

You just need to learn how to deliver your damage in a more conservative way if you're the weakest guy on the team.

When you're top tier you can more easily shape the battle to your will - people will follow you more readily because you're the 'stronkest tenk' .

When you're bottom tier, learn to follow. Even if the top tier tenk is acting like a noob, Learn how to support what it looks like they are trying to do and your win rate will improve - adding your fire to the fire of the top tier tank, or delivering killing shots etc.

Edited by M8Tricks, 31 October 2014 - 08:31 AM.

But if two tier IX flank - its all over - I'm gonna sit at home and flank while watching pron - and the best flanking shoes? Someone else's Nikes obviously

If you see Tricks and Dix in a plat, just adopt a BBIC playstyle, you can't win - leave your shoes next to your tank, we'll collect them after the game.

Mehliveat #4 Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:53 AM

Captain

• 18150 battles
  • [DP]

View PostM8Tricks, on 31 October 2014 - 07:28 PM, said:

Except in tier ! and X where you will be bottom and top tier always because its not possible to be anything else :blinky:

Don't forget the poor tier 5 and 6s.

Half my matches in the JgPZ4 are tier 8s, a quarter tier 7s, the last quarter I am top tier.

Add to this all the bloody useless zombies,

Take this example from earlier this evening.  Mines, we got a few by the light house including a T25 AT.  I was closer to base by the cliff side.  I was chased by a T29 (a pretty dumb one at that, exposing the side/rear to a few tier 7s etc by the base)  I went down the cliff, the idiot T29 followed.  Guess what the T25 AT did?  The T29 was focused and chasing me.  T25 AT would have a clear shot at T29's rear.  Instead, the T25 ran half a map away and hid by enemy spawn.

How do you suppose to have fun and enjoy the game when you are surrounded by this pure incompetence?

Edit;

Last 10 games in the JgPz4

1x tier 6 game with 0 wins (topped damage, 3 on the team did 0)

5x tier 7 games with 2 win and a draw. (carried one)

4x tier 8 games with 0 wins

pretty similar for the 10 games before that.

Edited by Mehliveat, 31 October 2014 - 09:17 AM.

CHrist1an22 #5 Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:15 AM

First Lieutenant

• 10181 battles
  • [DWT]

View PostFosknow, on 31 October 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

Team selection seems a bit peculiar. I have thought this for some time. It works pretty well overall, however I have little chance of doing anything in about half of my matches. What do I mean?

If I play tier 7, most of my opponents are tier 8 and tier 9.

If I play tier 6, most of my opponents are tier 7 and tier 8.

If I play tier 5, most of my opponents are tier 6 and tier 7.

If I play tier 4, most of my opponents are tier 5 and tier 6.

And so on down the tiers.

Either my team wins easily and I don't do much, or my team loses easily and I don't do much. As I stated before, this happens about half of the time.

I usually NEVER see Tier 6 in a Tier IV so far...

Metalstorm member and universal Tank Ace reporting for duty...

Tanks that I have: Object 268, KV-4, VK.30.01 (D).

Mehliveat #6 Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:21 AM

Captain

• 18150 battles
  • [DP]

View PostCHrist1an22, on 31 October 2014 - 08:15 PM, said:

I usually NEVER see Tier 6 in a Tier IV so far...

You never will, unless there is a fail platoon.  They changed the MM.  From tier 1-4 you only see +- 1 tiers.  From tier 5-10, you see +- 2 tiers.  This results in Tier 5 and 6 seeing -1 +2 tier matches.  This was alright if you are in a main/front line tank, still managed 57/60 in the VK36 and T150, my only tier 6s post the new MM.  But in a support tank such as the JgPZ4?  Good luck with that, the front line falls like cards most of the time.  Plenty of 40%ers in the top tiers these days, and get one of them as your top tier, the game is as good as lost.

Edited by Mehliveat, 31 October 2014 - 09:21 AM.

ACE_N4X_Toby #7 Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:36 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 33367 battles
  • [JROMX]

It doesnt happen only to you

It happens to u, to the noob in your team, to the noob on the other team, and to all unicum

Only difference is that you seems like a guy that loves yolo instead of teamwork 

Even if u are low tier, u can contribute by scouting (NOT suicidal run, just spot and retreat, no need to aim and shoot), flank, distraction , sniper (ok u need to learn to sniper in right place, not camping and do nothing) , meatshield (in desperate case) 

There are quite a no of tank that serves well even if they are the bottom tier 

eg most TD in CORRECT sniper position(except Jgpz4, it bascially sucks in every aspects) 

most medium if speedy one , follow ur higher tier med to flank/cap hill in mine/ support for heavy ; some with accurate gun should go sniping (panther and e50) 

most heavy are not that fun to play as bottom tier, to be honest; but tiger is good at sniping, IS is effective flanker

All i can say is , if u are the bottom tier 

- never YOLO 

- actively support the higher tier if u are mobile enough 

- camp at spawn is stupid

- always find cover 

- scout for your fellow, even that means u may get shot 

The primary goal is to contribute without urself getting killed

Dont rusb to tier10, if u are still complaining about being in the bottom tier 

if u cant tolerate such battle, u will lose most of yr battle in ur tier10, i saw way a lot tier10 with 40ish WR, which means u are negative contributing in the game

have some patience and get ur WR above 50, it is not difficult at all if u are willing to learn 

CHrist1an22 #8 Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:40 AM

First Lieutenant

• 10181 battles
  • [DWT]

View PostM8Tricks, on 31 October 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

And from what it seems tier 8 is the most random because it can face as low as T6 or high as T10s.

CHrist1an22 #9 Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:43 AM

First Lieutenant

• 10181 battles
  • [DWT]

View Postcchn4, on 31 October 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

It happens to u, to the noob in your team, to the noob on the other team, and to all unicum

Only difference is that you seems like a guy that loves yolo instead of teamwork 

Even if u are low tier, u can contribute by scouting (NOT suicidal run, just spot and retreat, no need to aim and shoot), flank, distraction , sniper (ok u need to learn to sniper in right place, not camping and do nothing) , meatshield (in desperate case) 

eg most TD in CORRECT sniper position(except Jgpz4, it bascially sucks in every aspects) 

most medium if speedy one , follow ur higher tier med to flank/cap hill in mine/ support for heavy ; some with accurate gun should go sniping (panther and e50) 

most heavy are not that fun to play as bottom tier, to be honest; but tiger is good at sniping, IS is effective flanker

- never YOLO 

- always find cover 

if u cant tolerate such battle, u will lose most of yr battle in ur tier10, i saw way a lot tier10 with 40ish WR, which means u are negative contributing in the game

have some patience and get ur WR above 50, it is not difficult at all if u are willing to learn 

The Jdpz. IV is better with the L/70, good enough for Tier 8 mediums but still hard for Heavies and T28 and Ferdinand TDs.

Mehliveat #10 Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:04 AM

Captain

• 18150 battles
  • [DP]

View Postcchn4, on 31 October 2014 - 08:36 PM, said:

- never YOLO 

- always find cover 

Well, my global is only 55, guess I don't need patience?  I might not have as a high global as you but I can hold my own.

May be you can buy back your JgPz4 and get the WR up to 50 then share some of your wisdoms with us.

Mehliveat #11 Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:16 AM

Captain

• 18150 battles
  • [DP]

View PostCHrist1an22, on 31 October 2014 - 08:43 PM, said:

The Jdpz. IV is better with the L/70, good enough for Tier 8 mediums but still hard for Heavies and T28 and Ferdinand TDs.

Never touched the 88mm in my run.  The 132 pen (in the supposedly top gun) is a joke with the new MM (it would be marginal at best with the old MM).

Despreaux #12 Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:48 AM

Captain

• 9998 battles
You cant meet tier 6s on a tier 4 now, they reworked that.

"Right or wrong, evil or good, but they still fight, without second thoughts they march up to the enemy, they dont hope to go home tommorow, their families are now their war brothers, every bullet they shoot, every lives they taken, every blood they spilt, did they give up? They'll never give up, for their flag they will fight, even if it means dying at cost, rather than die in vain, they'll fight for whats theirs, until the last blood drop, they are the soldiers of war" -war-

Fosknow #13 Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:57 PM

Captain

• 48736 battles
  • [-IQ-]

View PostMehliveat, on 31 October 2014 - 09:21 AM, said:

You never will, unless there is a fail platoon.  They changed the MM.  From tier 1-4 you only see +- 1 tiers.  From tier 5-10, you see +- 2 tiers.  This results in Tier 5 and 6 seeing -1 +2 tier matches.  This was alright if you are in a main/front line tank, still managed 57/60 in the VK36 and T150, my only tier 6s post the new MM.  But in a support tank such as the JgPZ4?  Good luck with that, the front line falls like cards most of the time.  Plenty of 40%ers in the top tiers these days, and get one of them as your top tier, the game is as good as lost.

Sorry, have not played tier 4 in a while. I was using it as an example, thanks for info.

Fosknow #14 Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:58 PM

Captain

• 48736 battles
  • [-IQ-]
What is YOLO?

M8Tricks #15 Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:12 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 7593 battles

You Only Live Once.

Its basically charging full speed ahead like a madman - 'if I'm gonna die, I may as well take someone with me.'

In the desert, its being spawned as a single medium. You race ahead by yourself and if you're lucky you only find one enemy alone and you can try kill it. Or you find a lot of enemies, but your heavies that slowly follow you save you just in time. Or better yet, you drive the whole desert to find it empty, you can then snipe from the back line. Works in about 1 in 15 matches. The other 14 times, you face a medium with a friend, or worse yet, the whole enemy hprde. And you go out maybe hitting one or two max.

Or being top tier heavy and charging to to the middle of the enemy - probably scaring the bejeezus out of them, and maybe catching some weak bottom tiers alone and unguarded. but usually your mad rush puts you in between two or more enemy cannons and they kill you.

Sure, you might die 9 out of 10 times you go off solo... but occasionally you find no enemies when you go, and (through luck) you end up behind the enemy lines and you kill em without them seeing you. Its poor odds of success, but fun when it works.

And when you do push ahead further than your allies, and when you're killed alone, the other fun thing is to rage that you didn't get support. You now have up to 7 minutes (depending how fast you yolo died) to abuse the rest of your team for not dying fast enough. Good times :blinky:

The opposite of yolo is not camping, its waiting a couple of seconds (especially at the beginning of the match, to see what the rest of your team is doing). If you usually go up to the hills in the snow, becayuse you know the cover is better, and because you have a medium that has no armour, don't just rush off there  and hope someone follows you. Wait a few seconds, you might find that the entire team wants to go down to the pinch point on the opposite side of the map. In that case you need to go there too, or at least poke your head up over the crest in the middle to spot the enemy for them before falling back to cover of buildings or terrain... a more noob player wouldn't wait to watch, they would rush off to the hills and blame the enemy team for being douchebags.

And you can yolo at the middle of matches too... youre stuck in a deadlock and so you decide to push forward blindly, across the entire map... same results. Only push of you are in a wolf pack, and only lead (leading means only being a little bit in front btw) when you know you have guys that will follow you...

Yolo - rhymes with solo for a reason.

You only live once, may as well make it exciting right?

Edited by M8Tricks, 31 October 2014 - 11:22 PM.

tank_killer123 #16 Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:13 PM

First Lieutenant

• 1221 battles

View PostFosknow, on 01 November 2014 - 06:58 AM, said:

What is YOLO?

YOLO=swag charge where evryone hates you but you think you look cool to yourself

Stomper of the Randoms. YOLOer of TDs. Master of Sniping. Carrier of the Pubs. Beholder of Luck. Chancellor of Copperfield. Savior of the trustworthy. Lover of the Pros. Commander of No Clan. Ganker of the unaware. Princess of Blitz. Joker of the Just Kiddings. Soldier of the Unicum army. Leader of the Stug Master Race

"ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!"

Fosknow #17 Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:07 AM

Captain

• 48736 battles
  • [-IQ-]
Sometimes I do the YOLO. I did it too much when I first started playing. I had to learn the hard way, I guess. Now I try to see what the team is doing, and I usually follow. It seems to help a bit. At least you don't die alone :)

M8Tricks #18 Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:12 AM

Staff Sergeant

• 7593 battles

The only time a yolo is appropriate is if you greatly outnumber the enemy, you know your team is solid, and you are just racing to get the last kills before you team mates do... Otherwise you're risking your tank (and the damage it could do to help the team win) for nothing.

Unless you know from the start list of your team and your opponent's that a yolo will win you key ground (taking the hill in mines for instance when you know you have 3 mediums to the enemy's 2, and you know your allied mediums are coming as well) then a yolo is always a noob move.

Dix_Neuf #19 Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:35 AM

First Lieutenant

• 10262 battles
On the Asian server, it's YORO.

Fosknow #20 Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:51 AM

Captain

• 48736 battles
  • [-IQ-]

I am playing tier 3 and it is top of the tier half the time and bottom of the tier half the time.

Bottom of the tier is basically spectator mode-boring.

Top of the tier is better but teams are usually not evenly matched, so it can be annoying.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users